4.0 out of 5 stars A light romp - like the Hardy Boys for grown-ups
Myron Bolitar is a sports agent, attorney, former FBI agent, basketball player and super sleuth, and this is his second adventure alongside a similarly larger-than-life supporting cast. Myron is at the finals of the US tennis open when a young player is murdered, and decides to investigate.

This is a romp - anyone looking for serious crime writing should go...
Published on 26 April 2012 by J. R. Johnson-Rollings

3.0 out of 5 stars Game Set Almost Match
I enjoyed this book. Please don't think that it would be a waste of time to read it, for it definitely wouldn't. I lost half a day gently flicking through its pages, but then I wasn't in search of the next great 20th Century novel; I just wanted something to read on the tube.
Published on 20 Feb 2003 by T Marshall

4.0 out of 5 stars A light romp - like the Hardy Boys for grown-ups, 26 April 2012
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop Shot (Paperback)

This is a romp - anyone looking for serious crime writing should go elsewhere. Bolitar and his sidekick Win are like grown up versions of the Hardy Boys - almost super human and with fingers in more pies than believable. As a romp though it does entertain. The writing is funny in a cheesy way and the mystery works despite the implausibility.

My only criticism of the story is that it was too easy. I had enough evidence a third of the way through to know who committed the crime, and the rest of the book was a tiny bit tedious as the characters tried to catch up.

As I say, a light read, perfectly suitable for a flight or other tedious wait, but nothing deeper than a bit of fun. I'll definitely be returning to Coben's works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Game Set Almost Match, 20 Feb 2003
T Marshall (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
So why only the three stars then? Well, that is purely down to personal taste, in that I prefer a Detective Inspector over a Private Eye. Having said that though I far prefer Easy Rawlins from Walter Moseley than I do Inspector Morse. I think the bottom line has to be; "Would I re-read this book?" the answer is no. Again, don't get me wrong, it is a very readable book, with an intriguing link to the tennis world through the eyes of a PI investigating a murder. I can only reiterate though that I will not be reading it again, and I believe that this is again purely a matter of my personal taste.
I recommend this book to all who enjoy good pulpy american fiction with a light touch where it is needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and Enjoyable, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Drop Shot (Kindle Edition)
My First Harlan Coben book and I really enjoyed it. Coben writes with a really breezy style that constantly keeps the story flowing, always engaging the reader. In Drop Shot a young female tennis player is murdered in broad daylight, at Flushing Meadows in the middle of the US open. Ex Basketball player and now Sport Agent, Myron Bolitar, dons his sleuthing cap to investigate. Bolitar knew the girl and feels a duty to unmask her killer. The investigation takes him into a web of intrigue and danger as Bolitar quickly connects the girl's murder with another murder 6 years earlier - the son of a `connected' senator, who was the boyfriend of the murdered girl. Bolitar finds himself treading on the toes of the mob but at least has sidekick Win to protect his back. The central clue to the girl's murder is easy to spot, if not the murderer (my only gripe is I think Bolitar would have spotted the clue immediately rather than several chapters later). Now the good news for me is that there are many more Bolitar & Win books to enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A page turner - but not one of his best, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Drop Shot (Paperback)
I am a fan of Harlen Coben as he generally tells an interesting suspense-filled story with the right amount of tongue-in-cheek humour. However this book was relatively weak and not at the author’s usual high standard. It was let down by a storyline that was too weak and unlikely with the ridiculous twist obvious from very early on. Were we really supposed to believe that the twist could have happened? – no spoilers – but someone with that profile would have had the media trawling for background, old friends, acquaintances etc.

A good page turner but he has written much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myron Bolitar returns, 3 Nov 2002
M. Rebelo "Boostie" (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop Shot (Paperback)
Myron Bolitar is an injured basketball player who tries his hand a being a sports agent.He also manages to combine this witha part time caeer as a PI! Drop Shot begins with a young tennis player who has desperately been trying to contact Myron, being shot dead at a tennis tournament. Myron feels guilty that she had been trying to ask or tell him something so begins to investigate and discovers a link to the murder of a senators son 6 years before. His friend Win (financial adviser and part time heavy)warns him that he may well be getting into more than he can handle but is there to help when needed. Keeps you guessing right to the shocking end. If you enjoy characters like Kinsey Millhone or Stephanie Plum this has a similar humour, with the rattling good story line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 3 Sep 2003
This review is from: Drop Shot (Paperback)
Harlan Coben is an excellent crime writer. Drop Shot is a good read and follows the events of one of his favorite characters, Myron Bolitar, through twists and turns in the wild and dangerous world of the sports agent. Some good humour is also offered. If you like this, definately read his latest three books and you are in for a treat!!

4.0 out of 5 stars DROP SHOT IS DROP DEAD ENTERTAINING!, 10 Nov 1998
By A Customer
Drop Shot has it all! Fast-moving storyline, great characters,witty dialogue and, best of all, lots of surprises. This is the first book I've read by Harlan Coben (although I have his latest, One False Move)and I definitely plan to get the rest in the Simon Bolivar series. I highly recommend Drop Shot to anyone who enjoys mysteries!

4.0 out of 5 stars Drop Shot - from Edinburgh to Flushing Meadow?, 24 Jun 2004
S. Cottrell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop Shot (Paperback)
It may be because I haven't read too much crime fiction, or it may be because Coben is strongly influenced by Ian Rankin, but on reading 'Drop Shot' (my first venture into Coben's NJ/NYC-cenred world), I couldn't help but imagine John Rebus charging through the action.
In fact, the main character, Myron Bolitar shares a lot of traits with Rankin's leading man. A washed-up 50-something Edinburgh alcoholic can have more in common with a 6'4" former all-american sports star-turned fed-turned attorney-turned sports agent than you might think. Bolitar specialises in putting himself at needless risk. He itches for the truth, even when he knows that the truth can do no good, and he fights an internal battle between optimism and cynical despair. Like Rebus, he sees himself as a 'shining knight' whose heroics can endanger those he seeks to help. Like Rebus he relies upon a mean streak,a willingness to overstep the legal limit and dubious friends to get results, and like Rebus he had a promising future cut off at the outset.
Coben's writing is sassy and sharp. The style is ironic, without lapsing into parody and the plot twists hit you like a kick to the solar plexus. The only two failings with this novel are that Win (Bolitar's best friend) is such a larger-than-life presence that he verges at times on being a plot device rather than an actual character, and the fact that I managed to unravel some of the intrigue before our hero (although it took me a while to figure out whodunnit). I am usually hopeless at predicting outcomes in thrillers.
Otherwise, Drop Shot is as biting an indictment of the morals of a social set (The US Tennis fraternity) as anything Rankin has delivered in his dissection of Edinburgh's New Town doctors, lawyers and gangsters.
I'm off to buy another Coben now, if only to discover whether Frank Ache is as worthy a nemesis to Bolitar as Cafferty to Rebus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Excelent

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Drop Shot (Kindle Edition)
Love these books, am enjoying working my way through all of the Myron series, I love the wit in these books.

Drop Shot
Drop Shot by Harlan Coben (Paperback - 14 May 2009)
5.59