Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 March 2015
The Harry Bosch character grows on you, he gets knocked down but gets up again, a determined character who once he gets started on a case does not stop until all the loose ends have been tied up, even if he has been told to stop.!?
on 31 January 2015
All Connelly's 'Bosch' books are excellent. Realistic plots and situations that still manage to surprise you with unexpected twists; complex characters and relationships that deepen and develop in each book; a crisp writing style and an insider's evocation of LA. Some of the best crime thrillers that I've come across. Highly recommended.
on 26 April 2015
I was intrigued; I was surprised; I was driven to keep turning pages and unravel the mystery. I laughed; I nearly cried (big admission for me) and I was disgusted at some of the horrific death scenes.
Great read...the best Harry Bosch yet!
A word to those who haven't followed the series: start at the beginning, and know before you start you'll have to put up with compulsive swearing.
on 13 May 2014
This is a really good insight into Harry's character and how the past made him the man he is. It is a really good mystery, sad in parts as we see a little bit of Harry's relationship with his mum and how he carried a lot of guilt about how she died. Harry decides to investigate her murder and the book does not lack any of the fast paced action and twists that make Michael Connelly's work so fantastic.
It's only been in the past couple of weeks that veteran L.A. homicide detective Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch pushed his boss's face through the plate glass window of the latter's office. You see, Lt. Pounds - the consummate desk jockey - had interfered with one of Harry's interrogations, which resulted in the (probably guilty) suspect walking free. Now, Bosch is on involuntary stress leave with orders to see the department head doctor. To kill time between appointments, Harry unofficially re-opens an unsolved 30+ year-old murder case, that of his mother, a Hollywood hooker. Then there's his Hollywood Hills home, damaged by a recent earthquake and subsequently earmarked for demolition, to worry about. It makes for angst that would cause testiness even in the Pope. And, when Lt. Brockman of Internal Affairs brings Bosch in for the third degree regarding his tense relationship with the Lieutenant, our hero loses it:

"In one explosive move, Bosch shoved the table toward Brockman, catching him completely by surprise. It slid under his arms and crashed into his chest. His chair tipped back against the wall behind him. He kept the pressure on his end and pinned Brockman against the wall... He saw the blotches of color on Brockman's face become more pronounced as he went without air. His eyes bugged."

The fictional road to this book's conclusion is the well-travelled one through police and political chicanery, either of which I can read about in the daily newspaper if I feel the unlikely compulsion. Rather, since each of us perhaps occasionally feels that mad urge for self destruction, the fun of THE LAST COYOTE is watching Bosch be a bull in his own china shop and then clean up the shards. Even that would earn it only four stars, in my opinion, except that the completely unexpected plot twist in the last ten pages merits it the ultimate fifth. If you're still bothering to fly the nation's unfriendly skies, or you're just stuck in a long post office que, THE LAST COYOTE is the perfect distraction to numb the experience.
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2013
I like the detective stories that Michael Connelly writes very much. I find that I don't want to put them done once started. I also like the stories written about his half brother Mickey Haller and the Reporter Jack McEvoy. Keep up the good work.
on 21 January 2016
As always, there's a twist you won't see coming. Twists aside, this book picks up nicely from the events of the Concrete Blonde and shows a slightly more vulnerable Bosch. Plenty of action and intrigue though so fi e stars, I really enjoyed it.
on 27 June 2000
For me this is probably the best of the Bosch books. The first one I read took me some time to get into, but from then on I have been hooked! He gives the characters a depth that is lacking in too many thrillers, and the twists in this book are brilliantly done keeping one gripped until the end.
on 28 August 2010
Bosch finally gets around to investigating the death of his mother.

Mmmm..... Connelly writes convincingly about Bosch's state of mind, and creates an atmospheric LA for Bosch to move around. Unfortunately I found the actual plot of the book fairly predictable. The identity of the murderer didn't surprise me. Having read these in order, I think it's fairly obvious from the first book Harry would investigate his mother's murder, so it feels a little calculated.

Connelly has a problem in that despite being able to describe what Bosch thinks and feels in his words and actions, he can't resist writing another paragraph spelling out exactly what Bosch thinks and feels. I found this very patronising. Interesting that the passages with his psychiatrist, which are primarily dialogue are the most effective in the book. Connelly also spends far too much time describing Bosch's car journeys in detail. This slows things down considerably.

I can see the importance of this book in the series and in developing Bosch's character who's still an interesting, likeable protaganist, but overlength and overstatement, prevent this from being an excellent book.
on 9 November 2012
As always you get the full on Harry Bosch as the cynical, seen it all, done it all, anti-establishment detective with high morals whose motto "Everybody counts or nobody counts" runs throughout the book. A bl**dy good read.