5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant
Great buy it came with a mark on it but u can rub off with a finger and I recomend this to anyone
Published 6 months ago by matthew

2.0 out of 5 stars No more, thanks
Published on 11 Nov 2010 by Paul McNamee

2.0 out of 5 stars No more, thanks, 11 Nov 2010
Paul McNamee "Rambleast Reviews" (North Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Countdown to Lockdown: A Hardcore Journal (Hardcover)
While I often roll my eyes when I see caveats such as this at the start of reviews, let me just confirm my devotion to Mick Foley. As an entertainer he is without peer. His work in many guises in the world of wrestling is as enjoyable as that of any other performer. As a writer, his success is truly heartwarming. That a man famous for championing a sports medium so relentlessly pigeon-holed could establish such a devoted literary following is a continued joy, impressive in itself.

Perhaps it is telling that, while I consumed Foley's last two autobiographies (Foley Is Good and The Hardcore Diaries) in a day each, Countdown to Lockdown took me the better part of a month to read. I can only speak for myself of course, but I think that while it is at times a compelling read, it's hard to shake the feeling that it really wouldn't have been missed if it hadn't been written.

Ultimately, Countdown to Lockdown is an account of a career winding down, and even in Foley's capable hands it feels at times slightly unnecessary. The framework (borrowed from The Hardcore Diaries) of alternating chapters dealing with the preparation and promotion for a single match and tangential musings on politics, music and theme parks doesn't feel as justified here as it did in 2007. In fact, when the actual Countdown chapters focus on the specifics of wrestling (as opposed to what Foley thought of his latest flight or hotel room), the redundancy of reading detailed descriptions of events most readers are likely to already have watched (more than a year ago, no less) is painfully distracting. I found myself just switching off many times while reading this, a problem which never presented itself with his previous efforts.

Foley's insights into the workings of the western world's second largest wrestling promotion (that's TNA) are welcome, as it was clear from his last book and from the WWE-specific chapters of this one that he wasn't happy working for that company. That said, most of the topics covered here (job dissatisfaction, substance abuse) have been written about extensively before, so again one can't help but feel their time is wasted re-reading it.

It's hard to call it an exercise in self-indulgence, because it's not written with any sense of passion or determination. Ultimately, it feels like a collection of blogs loosely organised around the story of a man for whom comebacks are almost annual: without structure, without cause, and without worth.

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Mick Foley so this is purely a review on ..., 12 Aug 2014
I love Mick Foley so this is purely a review on the book and not him personally.
Ever since the success of Foleys first book 'Have A Nice Day', Mick has a massive ego in regards to his 'literacy genius.' On every other page there is some form of self praise for what a great writer he is and how successful his books have been. He is more full of himself over his writing than he is his wrestling career. Truth is, Have A Nice Day is the only good book he has written. I can only assume this is the case because he didn't know he was a 'genius writer' back then so he wrote from the heart and it worked. Everything since is just dribble, ramblings, any thought that enters his head, lists of things he likes, minor stories of no importance or interest, self praise, self praise, self praise, self praise etc.
In Have A Nice Day this Lockdown match would have covered about 2-3 pages, but in Countdown To Lockdown we get every tiny and uninteresting thought that occurred to Mick over a period of several weeks sprawled out into an entire book, constantly being reminded of what a great book we are reading and all the other books are.

The last paragraph in Countdown To Lockdown has Foley telling us, the reader, what a good book we have just read.

Love Foley, hate the literacy ego.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Mar 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall a pretty good book., 16 Jan 2014
I purchased this book after finishing Foley's previous entry; "The Hardcore Diaries" which I really enjoyed.
This book is very similar and yet somehow feels as though it has a lot less passion behind it.
Insider stories on the wrestling business are great and Foley's own personal experiences and beliefs are interesting and explore well but I just got the feeling that it was more of a chore than desire that was responsible for this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much the same as Hardcore Diaries, 4 July 2013
Adrian Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
If you like Hardcore Diaries then you will like this - as it is the same book essentially!

Mick's moaning and constant lack of self confidence gets a bit much after a while as he is a 20 year plus pro at this point with well over a decade in the lime light.

But an enjoyable read all the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best but still fantastic fun, 18 Mar 2013
Really enjoyable book, while I don't personally feel it's up there with Have a nice day I still think it was a brilliant read and gets you into the mind set of a fantastic person and all the interesting intricacies of the Wrestling World!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really gets you into his life, 8 Mar 2013
Tw Walton - See all my reviews
I bought this after seeing a Foley match on TV and being curious about him, I wanted to hear why a guy would roll around on pins, etc while wrestling. But, I feel like I found a new friend on reading. Foley seems very warm and spiritual and his writing really makes you feel like you're on the road with him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Great: A Readers Journal, 5 Dec 2012
I've read Mr Foleys other wrestling related books, and although I enjoyed this It rambles and wanders off in other directions a little too much for my liking.
One for the collection : yes
A classic : no

5.0 out of 5 stars Mick's forth book!, 22 Oct 2011
Mick's latest book profiles his exit from WWE and his entry into TNA, peaking at the Lockdown match with Sting. I found this book quite interesting. Its more upbeat than hardcore Diaries which was somewhat depressing. There is a lot of personal exposure here also, where Mick speaks of his wonderful charity work. I'd reccomend this book to anybody with even a passing interesting in the man, or wrestling itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected, 21 Aug 2011
Christian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Countdown to Lockdown: A Hardcore Journal (Hardcover)
This is, as acknowledged by Mick, his fourth part of his life story. But unlike most stories it is premised around six weeks of his life, a lead up to a cage match against Sting. Except it isn't. Sure the story does go through a countdown but it also goes in other directions to talk about the end of his time in WWE and his falling out with Vince McMahon. His charity work is referenced as is a chapter that is Mick's manifesto on drug taking in the wrestling industry.

Sometimes extremely witty, sometimes serious this is an always engaging book. It continues in his theme of giving strong glimpses behind the scenes and stories that normal fans would not normally see. It also contains a random chapter on his issues with Vince when colour commentator written in a fantasy format.

Overall it does sometimes seem more like glimpses of the thoughts running through Mick's mind than the well rounded writting of his previous books. And then there comes a chapter that really interests you and all is forgiven. Not for the casual fan, this lends colour. Don't expect extreme revelations but do expect a well written book.

Countdown to Lockdown: A Hardcore Journal
Countdown to Lockdown: A Hardcore Journal by Mick Foley (Hardcover - 21 Oct 2010)
Available for pre-order