5.0 out of 5 stars Dust and Dreams and a Diamond read
Brenda Reid's House of Dust and dreams is beautifully written and so atmospheric one can almost feel the heat of Crete beating down on one's back.

Set in 1936, it tells the story of Heavenly who, when her diplomat husband is posted to Athens, finds the endless rounds of parties and social events all a bit stifling and shallow. Hugh's family own an old...
Published on 12 Jun. 2010 by Caramia

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Based on all the positive feedback this book has I decided to try it for myself. I must admit I was rather dissapointed. I found the first half of the story incredibly slow and tedious, it only started to pick up in the second half.

I found some parts of the story quite improbable, for instance it would have been quite unnusual in the 1930's for a devoted...
Published on 13 Mar. 2012 by Leggylou

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The House of Dust and Dreams - took my breath away, 5 April 2012
This review is from: The House of Dust and Dreams (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. It captivated me and was totally magical. A thoroughly enjoyable read with rollercoaster emotions and an imaginative plot. I would love to see this produced on the big screen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done!, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The House of Dust and Dreams (Paperback)
I am not a 'booky' person and bore quickly and easily - but not with this one - it is full of action and
pictures all of which are incredibly vividly told and very joinable inable - I can't wait for the follow-on.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as gripping as i would have liked!, 30 Oct. 2013
this book was ok, but as I read I was always waiting for the gripping ,exciting part to come...... it never did! I didn't find it had the depth I like, I just seemed to 'plod' through. The characters were interesting and I was looking forward to learning more about them as the story progressed, but that never really happened! There was great possibilities with the story line , but it didn't quite make the grade, I'm sorry to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 8 May 2012
I chose this book because we had booked a holiday in Crete and I wanted to read a little about Cretian history as well as a good story. I was not disappointed, I could not put this book down. A lovely story where I became involved with the lives of the people in the story. It made me consider the hardship people had to live with, especially during the war years. Funny, romantic and heart warming, I was sad when it was finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars moving and poignant, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The House of Dust and Dreams (Paperback)
I loved this book and could not put it down.It is wonderfully written with great attention to detail and the friendly and hot atmosphere of Crete is perfectly captured. Even under such awful and tragic conditions during the war, the Cretan hospitality stays true. The characters are complex and you really warm to Heavenly and Anthi and their close friendship- there is laughter and sadness and at times sheer horror but it is a beautiful book that i would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 2 Jan. 2013
I bought this book for my Kindle to take to Greece with me. I started it on the plane over there and couldnt put it down. Its a fabulous holiday read,i really enjoyed it, with many twists and turns throughout.I wont spoil it by telling the plot so just go buy it of your setting out on a holiday in the sun u wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best read so far, 21 Jun. 2013
This is a must for a brill holiday read but have your tissues at the ready. You will feel and smell all the wonderful things of Greece. I couldn't put it down. It has a strong story line and isn't a soppy love story. It is also very informative about the Cretians and the second world war.
Enjoy
RC June 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful read., 8 May 2014
I loved this book, it was so touching looking into different lives from different cultures! I felt that I was almost there in Crete with them, sharing their tragedies and heartaches. I admit that I did shed a tear or two which is something I don't ever remember doing when reading a book. Janice Kmoght

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story set in Crete, 6 Mar. 2013
L. E. Williamson (UK) - See all my reviews
I am enjoying this book, particularly as it is set in Crete before WW2. I like the style of writing and the story explains some of the history background of Crete, whilst maintaining a good storyline. I haven't finished the book yet and the ending isn't predictable for all of the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who loves Greece, 26 Jan. 2013
Really enjoyed this book. Great read for anyone who loves Greece, particularly Crete and of course the Greek people. Although sad at points there were a lot of very happy moments. Can't wait to read the follow up and go back to the sun. Could picture every scene described.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The House of Dust and Dreams
The House of Dust and Dreams by Brenda Reid (Paperback - 10 Jun. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01