5.0 out of 5 stars This book will appeal mainly to women.
Whenever I pick up a Maeve Binchy story, I feel I am visiting an old friend. Although The Return Journey is no exception, it is different from her other books as it contains ten short stories. These 10 little nuggets are enjoyable in an easy reading sort of way. Each story revolves around a trip and lessons people learn about others and themselves when travelling. It...
Published on 1 Nov 2007 by David Dulley

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Stories repeated from a previous book
I am a huge Maeve Binchy fan I have ALL her books, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. This one is 10 shorts stories five of which have been published in a previous book, so for me it was very disappointing.
Published on 16 Oct 2009 by Margaret Stares

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars maeve binchy the return journey, 25 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Return Journey (Hardcover)
I was delighted to receive the new offering from Maeve Binchy and settled down for a read but sadly I was very disappointed the stories seemed to go nowhere and ended suddenly or the ending was patently obvious from the start For the first time ever i didnt even bother to finish this book which has only happened with one other book in my recollection. so pay your money and take your chance doesnt suit me but you may love it

3.0 out of 5 stars A gentle meander through the oddities of life., 22 April 2013
This review is from: The Return Journey (Paperback)
I enjoyed the book and it illustrates the skill of short story writing involving tales round every day lives. But I do not think this was Ms Binchy's best to date, and while reflecting on social mores and the normality of life, it did not really take you much beyond the idea that as you go through life be ready for the unexpected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of Quick Reads from Maeve Binchy, 12 Mar 2012
Maeve does it again with a lovely collection of quick reads. Even with a short story, she can draw you in to the character's world. Can't wait for more of the same or better still a full novel!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read short stories which are mildly enjoyable, 2 Mar 2012
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Return Journey (Paperback)
I hadn't realised this was a book of short stories until I was into the third short story (of 22 averaging at about 15-20 pages each) and was struggling to find some connections between the various characters!!!
Having reread the blurb on the back of the book, I adjusted my reading of the stories and started to enjoy them individually. There is a general theme of travel which is strong. With really good short stories you should always have to pause between each story to take in and interpret what you have just read. This isn't the case here - they are good stories but easy to pack up and move on.
It's no surprise that some stories are better than others, although none really jumped out as being great. The last story in particular really annoyed me as it was so much longer than all the others, I was ready for something short and snappy by that point.
If you are looking for something to read on the train or beach then this is perfect as the collection is not particularly stretching to read but if you haven't liked her previous books then don't bother.
I enjoyed reading this book but it won't change my life or stay in my head for long.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Return Journey, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Return Journey (Paperback)
This is a short stories novel and is fairly good but not near Maeve's best work.
Some stories like all are better than others. The title is mis-leading as you believe it to be one long story.

I think Maeve struggled in the writing of this novel.
If you are deciding between this book and Maeve's latest one, I would immediately recommend her latest novel as it is excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Throwback to the 1980s, 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Return Journey (Paperback)
With the exception of 2 of the stories, I was a bit disappointed in this. I used to enjoy Maeve Binchy in the 1980s, and felt the book was a bit of a throwback (in style and content), possibly some of the stories were reworked from then. OK to dip in and out of if you're after something very light, but I couldn't remember many of them the next day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Return Journey (Hardcover)
Bought this to read whilst returning from a trip abroad. I have read Maeve Binchy novels before so I thought it would be a good one to while away the ferry crossing on. Sadly I found the stories uninspiring and felt that they had unexciting endings. I guess I like a twist or something unexpected to happen, but these were so predictable. Definitely a book to leave at the surgery or on a train! Somebody else out there will enjoy it, I am sure...

3.0 out of 5 stars The Return Journey, 22 Dec 2009
Mrs. J. Hines "Jac" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Return Journey (Hardcover)
I had a strong case of deja vue when reading this book. I really enjoyed it but some of the stories I have read before in other compilations which was disappointing. I wish that the description had been clearer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A secretary's silent passion for her boss meets the acid ..., 14 July 2014
A secretary's silent passion for her boss meets the acid test on a business trip; a man and a woman's mutual disdain at first sight shows how deceptive appearances can be; an insecure wife clings to the illusion of order, only to discover chaos at the hands of a house-sitter who opens the wrong doors; a pair of star-crossed travellers pick up each other's bags, and then learn when you unlock a stranger's suitcase, you enter a stranger's life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 July 2014
As usual this book takes you away to another time and place.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

The Return Journey
The Return Journey by Maeve Binchy (Paperback - 10 Jun 2010)