Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on 27 May 2009
I bought this as a used book from my local Oxfam bookshop (it still had the press release in it). If I hadn't been able to browse it I probably wouldn't have bought it as I am not a huge Rufus Wainwright fan. However I am a massive Loudon Wainwright fan. The publishers have missed a trick here. The cover should make it clear it is about the whole family not just Rufus. The book tells their whole story from the 1960s New York coffee bar scene right up to the present day. It also includes Loudon's wife Kate and her sister Anna McGarrigle (also very important folk musicians). It's an interesting read with some wonderfully odd footnotes that link all kinds of things you wouldn't have thought were connected. And it actually made me want to go and buy some Rufus Wainwright albums. Like the Barney Hoskyns Tom Waits book (see my earlier review) this suffers a little bit from not having any new interviews with the main stars (which is why I rate it 4 stars not 5)but there are plenty of other interviews such as the director of a film that Rufus was in as a child. To me at least it was full of stuff that I didn't know and painted a vivid portrait of an unusual and extremely talented musical family.
on 23 August 2009
I confess that of all the McGarrigle and Wainwright clan, it is Rufus that I find it most difficult to warm to. As a follower of his parents, I suppose Rufus was always there, but it was only with the publication of 'Release the Stars' that I became a fan. I like this book, but do feel that the title needs changing. To my delight I found a history of the whole family and some insightful, often harsh, appraisals of their recordings. Having said that, when it comes to Kate and Anna my critical faculties just don't exist, but he did make me re-evaluate 'The McGarrigle Hour' favourably. It was good to read a book that treated their music with respect. It is an ongoing story, I would have welcomed some background on the Mittenstrings. Good book ...
on 9 August 2009
Very interesting read though not really a biog of Rufus Wainwright - more a family history. And for those of us who have seen the interviews or read the newspaper articles that the author is basing his book around there are an alarming number of misquotes and inaccuracies in the text. That aside however, it is still worth a look if only to encourage the reader to go in search of the truth from a more direct source.
on 16 July 2009
I agree with Bob. I wondered about buying this because although I like Rufus I don't think he's the greatest singer in the world. In fact his voice is sometimes mediocre. I am, however, interested in the whole Wainwright/McGarrigle clan, so I was pleased when I saw that it's about much more than just Rufus. His sister Martha, mother Kate McGarrigle and father Loudon feature prominently and others such as Teddy Thompson make guest appearances.
on 1 August 2015
Insightful background into Rufus Wainwright and the family dynasty, didn't agree with some of the reviews of Rufus' music! Useful chronology of albums.
on 3 January 2016
Thank you, well received and in good condition