Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 December 2009
I bought this at the airport because it had Robert Ludlam's name emblazoned on the cover. I should have realised that something might not have been quite right when I noticed the price had been slashed by 50% !
This is not a Robert Ludlam book. This is not the Jason Bourne of Ludlam's earlier books. This book has been written ( I use the term loosely ) by Eric Van Lustbader ?
The plot complicates itself up it's own backside from the outset, jumping from place to place all over the planet every few paragraphs without holding your attention for a minute.
Some books are 'un-putdownable' this one is sadly one of those books that you keep hoping will get better......it doesn't !
The style of writing after Ludlam's 1st classic trilogy, is amateur, cliche ridden, with needless adjective overkill oozing of every line ?
What a waste of time and money ! If this is the standard of the stories after the original trilogy.......Forget em !
on 21 October 2009
The storyline is OK and pretty much what I expected and bought it for. However the author drove me to distraction with his schoolboy like efforts to make the story move along by introducing, for e.g., a quick reference to a characters past which means, miraculously, they can come out trumps in a difficult situation. I felt as though he had written to a semi-climax and through lack of forward planning couldn't then keep the storyline moving without resorting to elementary techniques.
Analogies throughout the book left me astonished that they could be so tortuously bad that they spoiled the description he was trying to make.
Finally his use of a thesaurus didn't impress. This could be the only way in which the author could have dredged up some very obscure words in an attempt to impress the reader with his vocabulary. Once may have been acceptable, throughout the book just left me asking 'what is he trying to prove'?
Overall so disappointing I am moved to write this my first ever review. If I hadn't been trapped in a tent with nothing else I would have binned the book long before the end.
on 27 March 2010
This is a cheap rip off of Robert Ludlum's Bourne series, clearly they wanted to cash in some more profit so dredge up this rubish author. Got half way into the book and bined it. Wish I had given up at page 10.
on 15 March 2010
I am a massive Jason Bourne fan and have complete respect for Robert Ludlum who writes a great book. This book is NOT written by Robert Ludlum, despite the pages of praise at the start of the book for Ludlum, it is written by Eric Van Lustbader and i thought it was completely appalling. It is poorly written and is not a Jason Bourne story in any way if you know the character and the Jason Bourne style. I found the book completely dishonest and a very poor read indeed, if you are expecting to read a Jason Bourne story or a continuation of the Bourne saga then you will be sorely disappointed.
on 2 November 2013
Some interesting twists and turns. One of my quickest reads yet, but that will be down to skipping large amounts of descriptive texts. I wasn't overly interested in the fine details of EVERY room. But enthral lying all
on 31 August 2013
We have bought all the Bourne books and only the first four have been to our liking. "Identity", "Supremacy", "Ultimatum" and "Legacy" were great and Matt Damon's interpretation in the Bourne films so far have been rubbish compared to the gripping stories that the books portray. The later novels have gone completely in a new direction and the Author has made them, for us at least, almost unreadable, with characters names that as you attempt to pronounce them, stops the flow of a rather uninteresting story line. I think I will not purchase any more books by Eric Van Lustbader.
on 20 August 2012
Another action story from the pen of Van Lustbaden based on Robert Ludlum's Bourne series. The storyline is good although rather complicated at times, and it is sometimes difficult to remember who some of the characters are until you cast your mind back to earlier novels in the series. ( At my age this can be quite tricky !!.)

A good read overall but I do believe that Jason should be allowed to retire to some quiet haven before he falls to pieces. He must be well into his 50's by now.
on 17 May 2014
#7 in the Bourne series. Jason continues to do several impossible things before breakfast, this time against his nemesis, the Russian assassin Arkadin.

Error p.8 "there are poweful elements in my government aligned with Iran because we (Russia) want their oil.."

Russia is usually the world's largest oil producer, some 10-11 million barrels a day and exports 70% either as crude or refined products. Woeful ignorance shown here.
on 7 October 2010
I have read all the Bourne series and this did not let me down either. Great story line excellent plot. If you are a true Ludlum fan you will notice there is a slight difference in Eric Van Lustbader's style, however he does an amazing job in keeping the tradition going. A good read.Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception (Bourne 7)
on 18 August 2011
I've never given a review so low a rating - until now. It doesn't deserve one star.

This book is utter rubbish and an insult to the Bourne series written by Ludlum.

Terrible use of the language, confusing characters and names, confusing plot, doesn't build the story etc etc.

Very rarely do I give up on a book but this is one of them.