5.0 out of 5 stars Katy Carter Wants A Hero

5.0 out of 5 stars Katy Carter Wants A Hero, 29 Mar 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
Katy Carter is a secondary school teacher who dreams of being a bestselling author and secretly scribbles down her novel (a historic blockbuster) whilst in school meetings. Katy is also a huge fan of grabbing herself her own romantic hero and thinks she's found him in James, her fiance. However when a dinner party for James's work colleagues goes disastrously wrong - with help from a lobster named Pinchy, a red-setter named Sasha and a cactus - Katy finds herself unceremoniously dumped by James. After a health scare Katy is determined to get her life back on track and heads down to Cornwall to stay with best friend Maddy with the hopes of finding herself her new romantic hero, but could her romantic hero be closer to home than she thinks?

Katy Carter Wants A Hero probably couldn't be classified as having a unique plot - after all, it's one I read multiple times a month but the fact is I didn't pick this up for it's uniqueness, I picked it up because it looked like a fun and light read. I had no expectations as to how I would like the book and went into it with a completely open mind. The book is told entirely from Katy's point of view and I was hooked incredibly quickly. I don't know whether that was because of how simple the writing style was, or how likeable Katy was, or just how fun it all was, but the book sucked me in and wouldn't let go. The opening of the book sees Katy writing parts of her novel (kind of what I expect a Mills & Boon book to be like) whilst in a school meeting and it was very quick off the mark, not to mention quite hilarious. I did have a slight wobble and start thinking oh God, she's a doormat - I'm going to hate the book 30 pages in as Katy's boyfriend James began treating her like dirt, and I was so worried she was just going to roll over and let him talk to her so patronisingly. However my fears soon dissipated as we witness the rather incredible - and hilarious - dinner party scene that causes Katy and James's break-up. The scene had me in stitches for 5 pages (and gave me one of my favourite animal characters ever in Pinchy the lobster) and the book just motored on from there and I never looked back.

I saw the ending of Katy Carter a mile off. Actually I saw the ending from practically the first page. As I said before, though, that didn't concern me in the slightest. I was just looking forward to it all unravelling and then for the light in Katy's head to turn on. I'm sure you know/could guess how it ends even though you haven't read it. The twists and turns it took to get there were enough for me - the infamous dinner party, the health scare, the loss of contact, the fake relationship, it all swirled around to keep the plot moving so we came to a satisfying conclusion 400 pages later. The writing isn't anything special - as I mentioned earlier in my review it's written in a rather simplistic way but the fact is so is all of Sophie Kinsella's books and look how adored she is! Sometimes the simpler the book the better and for Katy Carter the simpleness worked. Ruth also seems to have Sophie's comedic touch as the book had me in stitches multiple times particularly with Pinchy the lobster - the way Katy's mind over-reacts when he's about to be boiled alive was hilarious.

Overall I couldn't recommend Katy Carter Wants A Hero enough. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it's definitely a keeper. If you love Becky Bloomwood, I'm 100% sure you'll love Katy Carter as they're both immensely enjoyable characters. Katy Carter is definitely a book I'll be reading again (and again and again) and long may Pinchy the lobster live! (Can you tell I loved the pet lobster part of the story?) Do try and pick yourself up a copy of this fab debut, it truly is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Katy Carter from the male perspective, 2 April 2010
CARL WOOD "The Raven" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
Now I will be very honest with you - I normally don't read fiction - much rather watch a film. However knowing my taste in films includes all the classic Rom Coms (Sleepless in Seattle, While you were Sleeping..) as well as all the stuff blokes are supposed to like, I was given a copy by a friend who thought I would like it.
So I thought I would give it a go.. well within the first 3 pages I was hooked. This is important for me because, like bad or slow films, I loose interest very quickly and will simply fall asleep or switch off.
The style of writing was so easy and enjoyable, the pace of the story kept momentum and the way the characters were described so interesting I found it difficult (no near on impossible) to put down.
I finished it in 4 days - which for me is astonishing - not just that I read it so quickly but that I finished it at all! I then lent it to my best mates wife, she is a real bookworm - 3 or 4 a week - she absolutely loved it and she reads all sorts.
I have not reviewed a book before and can't offer anything more than the perspective of someone who thoroughy enjoyed the whole experience and neither can I offer any words of wisdom on the technical merits of the author, but what I can say is this ... If like me you don't normally read (Rather wait for the film!), or you read avidly you will love this book.
Oh and on the subject of .. wait for the film. I am sure this will be made into one - it has all the interesting characters, plot twists, laugh out loud comic moments and romantic storyline (and sub plots) that you need to make a truly engrossing Rom Com. Katy Carter gets the full 5 stars from me. And finally .. Long Live Pinchy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty page-turner, 2 April 2010
J. Black (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
This is a cut above your usual chick lit. The characters are well-rounded and you find yourself rooting for the good guys and booing the villains. The story has romance, tragedy, comedy... all the best things when curling up with a good book and a glass of wine.
I really felt for Katy Carter on her adventures with love and life. She comes across as a real person, warts and all, certainly not a simpering two-dimensional heroine (unlike her fictional alter-ego, Millandra, who makes for some of the funniest episodes in the book).
I look forward to more from the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chic Lit at its best, 4 April 2010
C. A. Standish-Leigh (Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
I have to admit that I bought this book because I know the authors sister. Well, I have bought books for much more spurious reasons and have often felt disappointed. But I loved it from page 1. So much so that I have read the book in a day and a half. I had a late night due to not wanting to put it down. And that was followed by an early morning as I wanted to carry on reading. The characters are great. Just like any good pantomine you know who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. You cheer the heros and boo the villians. It had more than enough pace to keep the interest running throughout the length of the book. I loved Pinchy and was sorry to see him liberated. I was laughing out loud when the Bishop borrowed the minibus. And if you want to know more, then buy your own copy. You won't regret it. I can't wait to have another book by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic, but worth a read, 30 April 2010
Ms P. E. Vernon "Verns" (Weston-Super-Mare, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
Katy Carter Wants a Hero was recommended by my well-read sister-in-law, who knows the author. I like word of mouth recommendations, which are generally more trustworthy than reviews from unknown sources, but I suspect that her liking for the author has affected her critical powers. Not, I hasten to add, that Katy Carter Wants a Hero is a bad book. No, it's a good book of its genre, which is light-hearted chick-lit for romantic twenty-somethings; it's just not really my cup of tea.

Katy Carter is a young teacher who dreams of becoming a writer and is engaged to a merchant banker. After a disastrous dinner party, designed to impress her fiancé's boss, Katy finds herself single again and homeless, so moves in with her old platonic friend, Ollie. After a health scare, she takes a sabbatical and moves to Cornwall to stay with her best friend, Maddy, to concentrate on writing her book.

Ruth Saberton neatly skewers the Mills & Boon style of romantic fiction through Katy Carter's appallingly badly-written attempts at writing her own book - all dashing highwaymen and heaving bosoms - but, somewhat ironically, then employs every cliché in the book to tell Katy's own story. So we have the boorish fiancé who treats Katy like a doormat, the loyal best friend, the gay friend, the vain soap star, the eccentric aunt and, of course, the male friend for whom Katy's feelings may not be entirely platonic...

I don't mind being able to work out the ending by the close of the first chapter - the fun is in the journey, not the familiarity of the destination - but it's a book that I would recommend only to lovers of the genre. I think what most disappointed me was that there were plenty of original ideas in the book, but they were rather over-shadowed by the formulaic plot devices and one-dimensional supporting characters. Ruth Saberton is a promising writer and it was ultimately worth the read, if only because my life is richer for having been introduced to Pinchy the lobster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious with memorable characters, 15 April 2010
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
This book lives up to the hype surrounding its publication. It made me laugh and it made me cry. Some of the situations Katy gets herself into are really hilarious and the book is well written. At the start of the book Katy has to organise a dinner party to impress her fiancé, James's boss. But she's not very good at cooking and James keeps on at about it having to be perfect. Fortunately her long term friend Ollie is a good cook. But that's where the trouble starts. There are the guests from hell who have allergies and won't eat the food and James' boss who makes a pass at Katy. But the main problems are two uninvited guests - a lobster (don't ask) - and a red setter called Sasha.

The result of the ill-fated dinner party is that Katy loses her home and her fiancé and her novel in progress because James tears it up. Katy takes refuge with Ollie and decides to change her life. A health scare, a move to Cornwall and a chance meeting with Gabriel Winters the latest star of TV costume dramas is only the start of it. The rest of the story includes a handsome fisherman, a vicar with a secret, a vicar's wife who sells `adult merchandise' and the lead member of an up and coming band who wears pink cowboy boots. The misunderstandings and misconceptions which follow Katy around are brilliantly done and will keep you glued to the page until the end. The story is fast paced and will give the reader the real feel good factor. I found I had to keep reading.

This is chick lit at its best with believable and endearing characters as well as some nasty ones. I look forward to reading more by this author in the not too distant future. If you enjoy authors such as Christina Jones, Katie Fforde and Judy Astley you will enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great loveable book, 7 Jun 2013
This book is such an easy, feel good book, makes me want to run away to Cornwall and live Katy life, definitely recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Hysterically funny!, 3 Jun 2012
This book is not deep or meaningful by any stretch of the imagination, some of the characters are a bit over the top in their villainy and the situations Katy gets herself in are a bit ridiculous to be honest. However, Saberton's writing is genuinely funny and easy to read, making my revision procrastination even worse than normal! Yes, it's all a bit predictable and typical of 'girly' romance but sometimes you don't want a book that's going to make your head melt from the complexity of 'proper' writing.
P.S Sasha and Pinchy are really the heroes of the story! Along with Jake and Millandra (have I even spelt that right??).

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable read., 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
This book made me chuckle and it was a really lovely read. Cornwall is a favourite holiday destination of mine so that added to the enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars holiday pleasure, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Paperback)
I loved this. It fitted perfectly with a relaxing holiday. Good fun, plenty of farcical laughs and doesn't take itself too seriously. I liked it well enough to look out for her second novel a year later.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Katy Carter Wants a Hero
Katy Carter Wants a Hero by Ruth Saberton (Paperback - 1 April 2010)
6.03