5.0 out of 5 stars Alex Does it AGAIN!!
Set 10 years after Last light Afterlight for me is a book about the last best hope for Humanity (to steal a line from BSG).
Published on 12 Jun 2011 by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
The book is ok but does not quite live up to the prequel. I am afraid it did not hold my attention as did Firstlight but worth a read anyway.
Published 3 months ago by karen agnew

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex Does it AGAIN!!, 12 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Afterlight (Hardcover)
Alex sets out with some old faces to explore a time after the oil crash, have we changed, can we adapt/ change and create a new future? or are there just too many out there who hunger for the days of old and the power that they can reap for themselves.

Following the fates of the Sutherland Children while they explore their past and look to the future.
Again alex weaves the story brilliantly with wonderful characters (his truly best writing gift). This book delivers just as much as Last light and then gives you even more, action, pace, characters, depth, humour and sorrow...what more could you ask for in a story.

Buy this book you will not be disapointed.
{Parm}

5.0 out of 5 stars Planning on stockpiling beans for the near future!, 2 Sep 2011
This book is fantastic.

The realism involved scared the pants off me, the author knows Britain, knows the youth and knows how people think. I found it well written and finished it in one day I could not put it down. I had not read the previous book and read Afterlight as a stand alone novel and if I hadn't looked on here I would never have realised this was a sequel. I'm now a Alex Scarrow fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lights Out, 26 May 2010
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Afterlight: n/a (Paperback)
Alex Scarrow is becoming one of my favourite authors. His books are both compelling and page turners that stay in your head for a long time afterwards. Last Light was a great thriller which had a very scary message which I still talk about a couple of years later.

Afterlight is the follow up to Last Light and you could read it without having read that, but you would be missing out big time. I've finished it in a day; no way was I going to leave it until tomorrow to finish!

Afterlight is, interestingly, set 10 years after a `big crash' when the oil stopped flowing and the lights went out and the food stopped coming. The Sutherland family are surviving on an oil rig with a community of fellow survivors, but their sanctuary is about to be invaded by an unlikely source..

We are also given flashbacks to the O2 in London, set up as an emergency point and we see how that has evolved over the years and how it might clash with the community on the oil rig.

Fast paced, engrossing and very entertaining thriller, certainly of appeal to those who enjoyed the BBC's "Survivors" but also those who might have liked "The Road". But this is not just an action thriller, there is a theme about humanity and one about the choices you have to make.
Mr Scarrow does not play in any particular genre, his last (the excellent October Skies) was set in the pioneering Old West, but he is a clever and thoughtful writer and whatever he puts out seems to be very readable. I imagine I will buy his next book, whatever the subject because he has not let me down yet.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Afterlight (Hardcover)
Alex you have done it again! I started at the wrong end I guess with Time Raiders me being 49 my daughters (12 & 10) said they a must read.. I Can't wait for No-4. We digress... Afterlight..Fantastic and thank you for the "Authors Notes" section, that really got me thinking. (Keep it up! we love being spoken to) The book was a page turner from the start. I won't bore people with the plot, many have had better stabs at it. But I will say that the characters, situations and the whole atmosphere of the book will stay with you for a long time. Terry Nation would be proud of you. BTW anyone wanting to read post apoplectic fiction check out " SWAN SONG" by Robert R McCammon.
Thanks Alex I look forward to everything you publish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 17 Jun 2011
mike "music lover" (brighton sussex uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afterlight: n/a (Paperback)
You must read Last Light first which in itself is an amazing story that I think everybody should read. I have only just dicovered this author and i'm so glad I have, so much so that i've already got October skies lined up after I have read ancestor by Scott Sigler. I don't think I can add anything more than has already been said, apart from the fact that I am now a big fan. I see his brother is doing very well too, well done to the both of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 13 Jun 2011
Ter (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afterlight: n/a (Paperback)
Thought provoking, interesting characters. Quite unusual to use the early demise of some important characters in the storyline to nudge the story along. The divisive approach of religion is well covered, although perhaps a little bit unfair to make the same character a paedophile. The implications of the "just in time" approach to such events is again thought provoking. Makes one wonder just how many people the UK could feed from its own resources? Good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply amazing, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Afterlight (Kindle Edition)
There is so much to say about this book but finding words other then amazing, heart wrenching, heart warming, frightening, exiting and inspiring.

The story and even more, the characters are so well thought out and written that you become hopelessly lost inside the rich world.
There where times that I felt such involvement and an intense bond with the characters that I had to stop reading a while as I was so frightened or deviated by twists and turns in the story.

There is a wider message to be had also. Not just the obvious warning of the oil age we live in but also the bonds we have with others, the way we live our lives, the choices we make. What makes a good person good, an evil person evil and where the lines between them are drawn.

On a slightly lighter note due to reading this and more so 'Last Light' the first thing I think when I enter a shop is what would be looted first and where a 'good find' might be had. I have also many a thought about what my 'crash plan' would be, how would I survive and also, being deadly serious, what would I be prepared to do, how far would I go to protect my children?

4.0 out of 5 stars A great ending!, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Afterlight (Kindle Edition)
Having read Last Light this finishes the Sutherland's story in a great way. A future I hope never comes to fruition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Afterlight (Kindle Edition)
If you haven't discovered Alex Scarrow you don't know what you are missing. This is one book of a two book story - it really made me sit up and think. Awesome. Check him out, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to be thought about, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Afterlight: n/a (Paperback)
I have thoroughly enjoyed the thought provoking efforts of Alex Scarrow in both Last Light and Afterlight. More should read and consider his message.

ARRAY(0xad2bbc6c)

Afterlight: n/a
Afterlight: n/a by Alex Scarrow (Paperback - 3 Feb 2011)
6.39