5.0 out of 5 stars Sleepdepriver
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Mr. Hagen from Denmark

3.0 out of 5 stars Where the hero (and a few other things) spoils the story...
Published on 13 Dec 2011 by JPS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleepdepriver, 29 Jun 2011
I have between 90-110 "History Novels" on my shelf including C. Iggulden, S. Scarrow, Ben Kane,J. Ludlow, D. Gemmel (Troja series), ect.. Having had those reading experiences which were all ranging from good to excellent, I have no trouble rating this book FANTASTIC. I was entertained from start to end, and have only had few reading experiences where I was so sad that there were no more pages when it was well past 3 am in the morning. I was entertained by the Atilla series, but I was captivated by this one. If you are looking for that historical action read that will keep you in you chair till its finished, or one to forget that you are on a plane with bad food and worse passengers, this is it. I cant wait for his next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhausting but Brilliant!, 16 Jun 2011
Exhausting, because it kept me up til after 2am reading! But brilliant. William Napier tells one small but compelling episode in the great clash between Europe and the world of Islam in the sixteenth century, and the unbelievably heroic defence of Malta. The Ottoman Turks attacked with an army of tens of thousands, maybe 40,000 in all, determined to get their hands on the finest harbour in the Mediterranean, Malta's own Grand Harbour. They were resisted by no more than a thousand Knights of St John at most, the last of the old Crusading orders. Napier really scores in his characterisation, with two runway English boys and two redoubtable knights in Sir Edward Smith and Sir John Stanley, and also in showing how when a city is besieged its the whole civilian populace that gets caught up in it. This is powerful blood-and-thunder relentless stuff, a desperately brave tale which is ultimately very moving, and an absolute page-turner. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to his best, 18 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this title with some trepidation, William Napier started what seemed like a great series about Attila the Hun, the first book was a breathlessly breakneck paced book With well written characters and a great plot, then it was followed up with book 2 of the series, that had a Tom bombadil effect of making me think he had been smoking weed when he wrote it, it oozed bizarre mysticism and spoiled the type of series it had started out as, it was like book one had miss advertised the series.
Book 3 recovered it a bit but not totally.
So Clash of empire....fantastic, well written, great plot, great pace and a subject that's not swamped right now in the genre. I loved it, and really recommend it i just hope this isn't going to be a repeat, lets keep it as is, blood guts action story and great writing.

Well recommended

Product Description (from back of Book)
1565: a small island in the middle of the Mediterranean stands gatekeeper between East and West. It is about to become the scene for one of the most amazing stories of bravery, battle and bloodlust: the siege of Malta. Formed in the Holy Land in the 11th century, a small band of knights had long sought a home. Driven from their lands by Ottoman might, they came to rest in Malta from where they watched the Turks and corsairs raid the Spanish empire. As word came from Constantinople that Malta was in the sights of the Ottoman Empire, all of Europe watched as a force of over 30,000 men besieged the island - itself only peopled by only 500 knights and a few thousand local soldiers. On that small rock an epic struggle will be played out - the story of individual men, warriors and slaves, but also the story of two worlds colliding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very familiar, 25 Jun 2012
Mr. R. J. Woolston "Richard" (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
I read my favourite ever book about 2 years ago. It was The Religion by Tim Willocks. This book shares the same subject matter. The siege of Malta. The Religion was a darker, grittier and more viseral experience with poetic writing.

Although this is pretty dark and gory its almost "The Religion Lite" not least because its about a 1/3 the length. The Siege of Malta has it all a massive army of "bad guys" against a plucky hugely outnumbered defence (think Zulu on a bigger scale) so its great for authors to turn their hand to and this is a very good offering. Its encouraged me to buy Mr Napiers others so I'll see how I get on with them. To those that are amazed at the super hero qualities of the main protagonist, how else can you show the true scale of the events without having a character everywhere?

Give this a go if military historical fiction is your thing. If literature is your passion though read Tim Willocks first.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine Page Turner, 19 July 2012
Kenneth J. Mcdonald "Sword and Sandal Kenny" (Dalkeith, Midlothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this book with no great expectation and within ten minutes of reading I was totally absorbed and sucked in. Around 1.am I found I was still reading and I was only half way through and I was really sad that common sense took over and I left the rest to be read next day. Great story although a bit fanciful. Rich characters instantly likeable. Just a great yarn about one of the major turning points in history. Great new hero comes to the fore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 9 Aug 2011
I. C. Joy (London) - See all my reviews
Couldn't put it down. I feel sorry for the author. Probably spent months or years writing it and I devoured it in hours.
Loved the characters and hope to meet them again - will there be a sequel? I missed the Attila crew when I finished that trilogy so I hope to get more of this lot.
Great book for a long boring journey. It would go by in a flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Battle of the Hospitallers, 6 Dec 2012
D. Lewis "book lover extraordinaire" (Mandeville, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clash of Empires: The Great Siege (Clash of Empires 1) (Paperback)
This little known, but very appropriate battle was never in the history books I read at school. Course neither was the conflict between Moslem and Christian presented in quite the light it is today. Mr. Napier writes with a good eye toward blood and guts. His descriptions of the horrors of war are sanguine and so true. Love this book. Can't wait for the sequel. Well done, Mr. Napier.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great story ruined by main character, 11 Dec 2011
Shame this epic novel of extraordinary courage and heroism lost its credibility through the unnecessary presence of a "superboy". Highly unlikely that a 16 year old boy becomes a savage killer of men and singlehandedly kills half the besieging Ottoman battle hardened troops. I can understand the author needing to have a fictional character to link up with the historical authentic characters present at the siege, but to have Nicholas involved in every single phase of the great siege, killing countless enemy soldiers and saving numerous lives, this after receiving a mere few days sword training during the voyage to Malta, seems farfetched to say the least. I still gave this book four stars because of the fast pace, great action and thrills. Although the latter part of the book describing the siege of St Angelo, seemed hurried and rushed. Just a shame the author chose to portray this "boy" as a superhuman heroe providing him with far too much focus and attention whilst other great characters remained in the background and were not fully developed. I hope that now Nicholas will go on to have more adventures as he matures telling the story of his revenge on the people who caused the death of his father back in England.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to his best, 9 Aug 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Following the disaster of his Atilla series (the later books not the first) readers have been demanding something special to reward their faith in this author. Whilst I was lucky enough to miss some of the titles in the earlier series I was a little worried about starting this title and to be honest it was put on a back burner for a little while.

Finally when some time freed up I was quite pleased that I saved this to be able to take my time with. As with the first Atilla title, it's well written, the characters are outstanding and the action is top notch to keep the historical fiction fan entertained. Back that up with characters that you care about as well as a wonderful turn of phrase and prose which made this a cracking read from start to finish. Finally add some good dialogue as well as a solid plot from start to finish and the reader will more than be rewarded with their time. A great book and a title that demonstrates that Napier is back to his best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where the hero (and a few other things) spoils the story..., 13 Dec 2011
JPS - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I received this book (hardcover version) very shortly after it was published, read it, mostly enjoyed it, but then failed to write a review, mainly because I had been rather disapointed. I decided to do so largely because I simply cannot agree with the statement made by some reviewers that Napier is "back to his best". The best was the first in his Attila's series, which, as many others, I have also read. It very much remains so. This book, while exciting, does not compare well with it, simply because it is let down and spoilt by its main character and with the author's excessive attempts to portray a boy as a "super-hero".

The "hero" is a totally implausible 16-year old, whose heroïc actions during the siege, after a few days training on board a ship on its way from England to Rhodes, are such as to almost overshadow the real deeds of the Knights, infantry and town militia. At times, I had the impression of reading an adventure story for teenagers. Since this was not what I was expecting, I got rather annoyed. As for the (historical) death of Dragut, possibly the most capable Ottoman commander during the siege, our hero had, of course, historically nothing to do with it.

This is a pity because these flaws tend to distract from some much better pieces and this is why I would rate the book three stars, despite having been so critical). One is the depiction of La Valette, which fitted to the image I had of him, from his surrender at Rhodes, where he was one of the Order's young Knights, to his role in the defense of Malta. This ageing and fanatical warrior (or a few others) would have made a much more plausible (if less "sexy") hero, especially since the siege was essentially the fight that he has been preparing himself for during most of his life, in fact ever since the Order had to leave Rhodes. Another piece which would have been of interest, instead of only focusing (once again) on the siege, would have been to write the story of what happened to the Order specifically, and in the Mediterranean, more generally, between the fall of Rhodes (1522) and the siege of Malta over 40 years latter (1565). Something like a romanced version of Roger Crowley's Empires of the Sea build around La Valette would, in my mind, have been much better...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Clash of Empires: The Great Siege (Clash of Empires 1)
Clash of Empires: The Great Siege (Clash of Empires 1) by William Napier (Paperback - 5 July 2012)