5.0 out of 5 stars Meeting old friends
I was very curious about the book, as the reviews are so mixed and different. It has to be said that the writing of Jenny Dereham (who has actually written this book) totally lacks the charm of Miss Read's writing. But as Miss Read herself seems to have created the story-line of this book together with Jenny Dereham, so reading this book is like hearing about old friends...
Published on 4 Dec 2010 by Stalder Verena

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment at Thrush Green
This was a book I looked forward to with a passion. Couldn't wait to read it. It arrived. Disappointment. Cloying, not astringent/cerbic in the old Miss Read way. Snobbish, patronising, too much re-iteration. I felt that this cashed in on Miss Read's good name but the ghost writer/editor really was not up to it. Shame that the series has been spoiled in this way...
Published on 8 Oct 2009 by Ms. S. M. Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars SADLY DISAPPOINTED, 2 Sep 2010
I was too excited at the prospect of a new Miss Read to bother with the reviews. I should have done and then saved my money. Not a Miss Read in any sense other than being located in Thrush Green. I really do not think it a good addtion to the series and am disappointed. Orion should have made it clear that it was written by Dereham not Miss Read. I should have realised that at 96 Miss Read was unlikely to have produced another book. A shame and it will not be joining my long line of Miss Read's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ho hum!, 27 Nov 2009
I bought this after reading the past couple of Christmas books of Miss Read's. They were absolutely delightful and had no hesitation in pre-ordering this. After ordering I becamea aware that Miss Read hadn't actually written it so I wasn't sure what to expect. Had I not known, would I have guessed that this was a different author? I'd like to think yes. Far too many characters were introduced at once. The book didn't seem to have such 'snuggly' feeling as previous Christmas books. Fans of Miss Read will know what I mean!

If I'd not been expecting it to be written by Miss Read I'd probably give it three and a half stars. My two star rating is based solely on expecting that the book had been written by Miss Read.

I'm certainly not recommending that you don't buy it. It is a good Christmas book. But after you've read it buy the original Christmas books A Country Christmas and Christmas At Fairacre.

If you know someone with a birthday in December this would make a very good present.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love the idea of Christmas!, 28 Nov 2013
R. Broadhurst "RuBee" (UK) - See all my reviews
I was a little doubtful as to whether I would enjoy this after reading some of the other reviews, and I agree that the dialogue is not always written as the original Miss Read would have written it, but the characters are still interesting and a slightly more modern story thread for the younger characters. I would read another novel by this "miss Read"

2.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Christmas at Thrush Green (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this book although knowing that Jenny Dereham had penned it with Dora Saint contributing ideas. So many silly situations and dialogue. I wonder how Dora Saint felt reading such negative reviews.
I have just reviewed "Mrs Griffin Sends Her Love" a contrived put together edition. Enough!
Let us all enjoy re-reading the real Miss Read books.

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel let down, 28 Feb 2013
P. R. Scott (UK) - See all my reviews
I was so pleased to see a 'new Miss Read' advertised, and couldn't wait to read it, but I wish I had read some of these reviews first, as I was really disappointed. I was also annoyed that the publisher made no mention on the cover of the fact that Jenny Dereham had actually written the story, based on an 'idea' by Miss Read. The characters all have the same names as in the previous books, but they seem one-dimensional and their behaviour doesn't match the rest of the books so that it felt as though I was reading about totally different people. Also, the writing lacks Miss Read's sureness of touch and gentle humour. If you just like reading Miss Read to find out 'what happens next' to the characters then you may enjoy this book. But if, like me, you read her books for her quality of writing and the believable world she creates, then avoid this one. It hasn't found a place on my shelf and I will content myself with reading and rereading the 'real' Miss Read. Reading this book felt like being promised a white Christmas and ending up with fake snow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Thrush Green, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Thrush Green (Paperback)
I enjoyed the nostalgia of meeting "old friends" but found some of the characters had developed in ways that they really wouldn't have in my mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Christmas disappointment, 26 Dec 2009
E. A. Day (Hertfordshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I'm afraid it was very obvious from the first page that this wasn't written by Miss Read. Whereas with previous books I have been hardly able to put them down, with this one I'm afraid I have abandoned it halfway through. I found it dull, dull, dull and was so disappointed and felt the jacket 'A brand new Miss Read novel' was extremely misleading. However, the illustrations by Ruth Palmer are excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Modified rapture, 5 Nov 2009
I was delighted to spot this in my local bookshop, as I have always enjoyed the Miss Read books. However, it did strike several false notes for me - the characterisation of the vicar Charles Hemstock as a slave to his stomach was new and unwelcome, and the error in the illustration of Nathaniel Patten's statue (as an adult, rather than a child, as made clear in earlier books) were typical of a lack of rigour in the editing - hard to avoid, when it was the former editor doing the writing! I doubt if I would by any other sequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Thrush Green, 7 Oct 2010
I was so pleased to discover a new Miss Read book, though I soon realised that it was not actually written by her - not surprising really as she is in her nineties. I read all the reviews, and very nearly decided not to buy the book on the strength of them, but I am so glad I did. I loved it, and it was such a delight to be back in Thrush Green once again with all the old familiar characters.

I am very puzzled as to why so many other readers found the book unsatisfactory. Jenny Dereham has done a great job, and I understand that Miss Read herself is very happy with the book. Are you going to write another Thrush Green novel, Jenny? I do hope so!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as I feared!, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Christmas at Thrush Green (Paperback)
I hummed and hahed about whether to read this after some of the reviews but in the end my curiosity got the better of me! It is interesting that Dora Saint was happy with the end result and presumably the story line must have been hers but not the words. It would be very strange if anyone else could ever write exactly as "Miss Read" did but I didn't think it was as bad as I expected. I would not have liked it at all if Dora Saint had had no input whatsoever and I would not want to see the books continued now but I thought this book was worth the read. Yes, there was more "country set" snobbishness and some of the characters had changed a bit - but I am not sure that Jennie Dereham can be held accountable for that!

Christmas at Thrush Green
Christmas at Thrush Green by Miss Read (Paperback - 14 Oct 2010)
5.59