5.0 out of 5 stars I just love the idea of Christmas!
I was a little doubtful as to whether I would enjoy this after reading some of the other reviews, and I agree that the dialogue is not always written as the original Miss Read would have written it, but the characters are still interesting and a slightly more modern story thread for the younger characters. I would read another novel by this "miss Read"
Published 10 months ago by R. Broadhurst

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment at Thrush Green
Published on 8 Oct 2009 by Ms. S. M. Richards

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment at Thrush Green, 8 Oct 2009
Ms. S. M. Richards "Efrogwraig" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This was a book I looked forward to with a passion. Couldn't wait to read it. It arrived. Disappointment. Cloying, not astringent/cerbic in the old Miss Read way. Snobbish, patronising, too much re-iteration. I felt that this cashed in on Miss Read's good name but the ghost writer/editor really was not up to it. Shame that the series has been spoiled in this way. Would not recommend buying, not sure I'd even borrow it from the library.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..... not quite as it seems from the cover, 10 Oct 2009
I have read and enjoyed every one of Miss Read's books, so was absolutely delighted to see there was 'a brand new Miss Read novel' about to be published even though she was officially retired.
As soon as I saw that the book had actually been written by her editor, Jenny Dereham, I felt distinctly short changed! The book isn't terrible, and it's nice to read a bit more about her well-known characters, but the whole narrative and characterisation lacks the 'bite' that Miss Read has always employed with great success.
If I had known that Miss Read had, according to the acknowledgement 'discussed the initial idea, developed the storyline, then left [Jenny Dereham] to put it into words', I might have had second thoughts.
I honestly think this should be made clear by the publishers on the book cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 13 Dec 2009
MC (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I was so pleased to find a new Miss Read book. While reading it, I was conscious that she had "lost her touch." The characters didn't ring true, some of the situations were downright silly, and the whole effect was disappointing.
It was only after browsing the Amazon site that I realised that Miss Read DIDN'T write the book! And it shows!
If you are a real fan, don't buy this book. Borrow it to find out what happens to Ella, but don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing!, 9 Jan 2010
S. Swanton (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the audio version of this book and I wished that I had taken more notice of the reviewers who had said how disappointed they were. It really is rather dreadful: firstly it appears that is not actually written by Miss Read and it shows; secondly although it is not badly read the reader has a hard edge to her voice that grated with me. If you have fond memories of Miss Read's audio books (particularly those read by the late Gwen Watford) then do not bother buying this - you will just feel very short changed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read but............., 8 Feb 2010
As the other reviewers, I was delighted to see another Miss Read book, having been a fan for years.
It was fairly easy to tell that it was not written by Miss Read and some of the main characters personalities had been changed for the worse, Ella (lost her comic bite), Edward and Joan (never interacted like that before), Frank doing the nativity play for the school?!, etc etc.
Charles Henstock was never a slave to his stomach in previous books (as mentioned by another reviewer) and I felt errors like this showed another writer had been involved. Things like Robert Wilberforce buying Ellas cottage didn't ring true for me, in the last book his large house in the lake district was going to be home for both him and his new bride and I just didn't believe the fact that he had sold it and would consider moving to a very small cottage in thrush green!.
It was nice to meet old friends again but I wish the real Miss Read had written this book with her usual sharp and observant style.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Christmas at Thrush Green (Paperback)
I was so pleased to see that there was one final book by Miss Read. I knew that Jenny Dereham had written the words from Miss Read's ideas and to begin with the book seemed not at all bad. However the Nativity chapter put paid to any enjoyment, mild as it was. This chapter was muddled, jumbled and I began to wonder what on earth I was reading about. I ploughed on and it got slightly better.

Miss Read was very very special, eminently readable and knew how to be sentimental with flashes of acid. This book loses all that - I am glad I read it because it was a chance for one last time for Miss Read's characters to spring from the pages and, much more up to date = Paul and Jeremy now teenagers and away at boarding school (in spite of Phillida not wanting Jeremy to go in earlier Miss Read books)and another child for Molly and Ben. I was surprised that the Misses Lovelock and Dotty were still alive as well.

A reasonable try but pretending to be Miss Read - sorry dear it did not work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Miss Read, 14 Dec 2009
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was surpised to see this title for sale as in her last book Miss Read claimed she was laying down her pen with "a thankful heart". It was only after buying the book I realised it was, in fact, a joint collaboration with her long-time editor.

It seems that Miss Read developed the story-line whilst Jenny Dereham wrote the words. Unfortunately, it's the words (rather than plot) which provide the great joy of the Thrush Green and Fairacre series, and the resulting collaboration is rather flat. In particular, there is a lot of exposition and back-story (every time a character appears for the first time) which weighs down the narrative. A lot of the time, statements just don't convince. Poppy complains of "handling customers' smelly feet" at the shoe shop, as if she were providing a chiropody service rather than selling footwear, and I just didn't believe in the Guild of Teashops, which provides one story line. Also people in Thrush Green seem to have developed the strange habit of talking in complete sentences, whereas Miss Read always had the surest knack for dialogue.

In short, it's as if you have gone into The Fuchsia Bush cafe and been served a shop-bought scone. It's pleasant but not quite the treat you were expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love the idea of Christmas!, 28 Nov 2013
R. Broadhurst "RuBee" (UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Thrush Green, 16 Dec 2010
I was so looking forward to reading another of Miss Read's books. Christmas at Thrush Green was very good, but not the same "caliber" as Miss Read. You just knew it was Miss Read writing the accounts of these wonderful village people. I did read it straight through and enjoyed it. Had it had the other ladies name, it would have been very good,had I never read a book by the infamous Miss Read.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame!!, 21 Mar 2010
I bought this as a Christmas present for a friend. She left it in my house without saying anything. My mother (80) picked it up and condemned it for its lack of pace and meandering prose style. I had bought the book trusting to the author's name and my personal enjoyment of many Miss Read titles over the years. I then read the first couple of pages and was mortified to discover that the book isn't by Miss Read at all. I certainly wouldn't have bought it if the publishers had made this clear. Neither reader will now believe my commendation of the earlier works; both have been too disappointed by their first 'Miss Read' experience. I'm certainly not going to bother reading any further, and am concerned about the ethics of taking it to my local charity shop. Siomedig iawn!

Christmas at Thrush Green
Christmas at Thrush Green by Miss Read (Paperback - 14 Oct 2010)