Format: PaperbackChange

on 27 September 2011
"Click, Click" by Joyce, June, & Paula Kavanagh with Marian Quinn.

Wow. The most raw honesty I can remember ever reading and I read a lot!
You will cry, that is for sure but you will also laugh out loud and your heart will feel warm, especially as you get closer to the end. I don't want to sugar coat it, there are extremely horrific facts in this book. I mean these sisters went through some of the worst physical, mental, and emotional abuse you might have ever heard. However that makes their healing journeys, each a bit different, all the more powerful and so inspiring!
The book itself has a very descriptive writing style, the reader is easily transported into many of the scenes with the ladies, especially in recent days where you can taste all that tea and smell the smoke-filled kitchen while they all chat. As a reader you are there and feel like you really were with them in the room for each step of their healing journey as they became adults. So it's an easy read, you will probably read it in one or two sittings.
It would have been enough just for these sisters to say they survived their abuse but they have so far surpassed and moved beyond their past torture. What these women have achieved in their lives, not just their own loving families but their relationships, educations, careers, and now this book is an inspiring story for everyone, not only other victims. They have decided to share their darkest secrets and really "put it all out there" in order to let others realize the power of inner strength, different styles of growing, moving on, not being defined by your past and most important that life can get better for anyone who is or has really suffered.
I recommend reading it with a friend at the same time because you are DEFINITELY going to need to discuss it with someone while you are reading!!
on 11 May 2012
I do not usually read this type of book because reading for me is escapism and would rather read light hearted rom coms or fiction. But after seeing the Kavanagh sisters on This morning I felt as though I was turning a blind eye to a cause that needs a voice so I bought it. To sum it up in a few words, Tragic, Shocking, Inspirational, Funny. Give it ago, you will fall in love with these women as you begin to get to know them and it also gives you a sense of relief to know that they survived and achieved so much more than they believed they ever could.
on 11 May 2012
This is one of the most moving and inspiring books I have ever read. It is a beautifully written story of the journey of the three sisters from being helpless victims to powerful women that everybody should read. It is a testament to the power of siterhood, of community and, ultimately, of love. I can't recommend it strognly enough - I found it really boosted my faith in humanity and helped me to more deeply appreciate the good things in my own life. You can't beat that!
on 25 November 2012
This isn't a great work of literacy, far from it, but it is a very honest and revealing must/should-read account about surviving childhood sexual abuse. Having heard the three Kavanagh sisters on TV and Radio interviews I bought this on my Kindle. The almost objective recounting of the abuse they suffered makes for very uncomfortable reading and the first part of the book jumps back and forth - but that disjointed style works as the reader gets an idea of a child's story being told by an adult. Like the child, the reader just doesn't know what is coming next.

I found the section on their counselling experience nearly as disturbing and wonder how helpful the "professional" help really was to these women. The book, and working through their own relationships is what I suspect has helped their healing more than anything else.

I never really understood why abuse is not reported immediately until I read this book and I commend Joyce, June and Paula for their courage, their honesty and their humour. I understand and respect their ability to forgive a mother (herself a victim in so many ways) who must have known what was happening in her home but wonder if, in the same situation, I could be as understanding.

They have managed to explain a world that is completely alien to someone like me who enjoyed a secure and happy childhood. I now understand why a child cannot "just say no" and would recommend you read this book.
on 12 June 2012
I had picked this book up time and time again wondering whether I could read it and be able to cope with what it had to say inside and I alway put it back down leaving it for "another time maybe" but I finally decided to read it whilst on holiday and I'm so glad I did. I found the story well told although utterly harrowing in lots of parts due to the treatment of the children within the family by their evil, sexually demanding father who used the girls for his own sexual satisfaction and gratification. How they managed to cope is beyond belief and also to go on to tell their story after finally bringing the man who deprived them of their innocence and a normal childhood, to justice.
The story is very uplifting at the end and very funny in parts especially with the sometimes choice language used although you have understand that this sort of language was commonplace in Irish families of that time so nothing out of the ordinary to them.
I hope that they have acheived everything they wished to from writing this book and I also hope that others in the same position take strength and the courage from it to go on to bring their abusers to justice.
I highly recommend this book to anyone.
on 9 May 2012
The reason for me buying this book is because three of the sisters were on This Morning TV. This would not be my normal choice of book because as most people I find abuse of any sort difficult to read or understand. When I heard the sisters talking about things that most of us have no comprehension I was captivated by them. You could see their closeness, they laughed so easily, and were most DEFINATLY not seeking the readers of this books sympathy.
Yes the beginning of the book that covered the abuse was difficult to read. I truly believe that this was only a
taste of what really happend and they gave a true insight to what life must have been for them at that time.

As the book moved on I became a little disappointed. There was much talk about the counselling involved in the recovery Process.. To be honest this was for me a little long winded and I'm sorry to say Lost my interest.
It seemed like a story only half told. There were lots of other children in the family what happend to them? Did they know what was happening? My heart goes out to these ladies I enjoyd reading your story I wish there was a little more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2012
a must read its hard to belive these sisters went through such a horrific childhood at the hands of such a monster at times i thought i couldnt read anymore due to what these ladys went through but you get so hooked that you want to read there story to find out if that monster got what he should and to see how these ladys ended up later in life and i cryed at the end because it was brilliant to see these ladys succsesswell done to them for not letting him win
on 18 July 2012
I bought this book after meeting the Kavanagh sisters. Without meeting these inspirational women I may never have picked up this book in the store as I would have thought it too difficult a read - I am very glad however that circumstances conspired for me to read this tremendous book of courage and optimism.

Click, Click is a harrowing read but throughout there is humour, hope, and encouragement for others. Reading this book is an opportunity to learn in detail what abuse was like for three young girls who experienced it throughout their childhood (no small feat for the authors), to recognise the bravery of the Kavanagh sisters and abuse survivors everywhere, and to continue to educate ourselves on the reality of abuse and the impact it has on those who experience it and their families.
on 9 December 2012
This book is truthful , honest and brave. It is frequently painful to read, as an honest account of severe abuse should be, but also at times funny, inspiring and heart-warming.
The three sisters had different ways of coping,but they have all survived and achieved and not allowed the abuse to stamp "victim" upon them.
This should be essential reading for therapists, social and health workers and people who work for other organisations such as the police, schools, churches etc. for whom it is far easier to ignore rather than face up to the consequences of dealing with the abuse of the vulnerable.

It is a book for all of us. The more who understand, the harder it will be to conceal. Wonderful book! wonderful authors!
on 15 December 2012
What an amazing story. The ladies are very courageous, to have gone ahead with the richly deserved prosecution of their evil predatory father.

I found it very hard to read in places, because it was so terribly sad to read of these little girls being effectively tortured and humiliated right under the noses of so many adults who did nothing, even though some must have had their suspicions.

Even when it had come to light, the struggle to get "justice". And finally the derisory sentence after the destruction he had wrought.

I am amazed that they are still able to have such a sense of humour despite it all.

We all need to be alert to children with whom we come into contact