"Click, Click" by Joyce, June, & Paula Kavanagh with Marian Quinn.

Wow. The most raw honesty I can remember ever reading and I read a lot!
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by R. McMillan

3.0 out of 5 stars Click Click
Published on 9 May 2012 by Hattie

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful inspirational true story, raw honesty, laugh, cry, and warm the heart, 27 Sep 2011
R. McMillan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Click Click (Paperback)
"Click, Click" by Joyce, June, & Paula Kavanagh with Marian Quinn.

Wow. The most raw honesty I can remember ever reading and I read a lot!
You will cry, that is for sure but you will also laugh out loud and your heart will feel warm, especially as you get closer to the end. I don't want to sugar coat it, there are extremely horrific facts in this book. I mean these sisters went through some of the worst physical, mental, and emotional abuse you might have ever heard. However that makes their healing journeys, each a bit different, all the more powerful and so inspiring!
The book itself has a very descriptive writing style, the reader is easily transported into many of the scenes with the ladies, especially in recent days where you can taste all that tea and smell the smoke-filled kitchen while they all chat. As a reader you are there and feel like you really were with them in the room for each step of their healing journey as they became adults. So it's an easy read, you will probably read it in one or two sittings.
...
It would have been enough just for these sisters to say they survived their abuse but they have so far surpassed and moved beyond their past torture. What these women have achieved in their lives, not just their own loving families but their relationships, educations, careers, and now this book is an inspiring story for everyone, not only other victims. They have decided to share their darkest secrets and really "put it all out there" in order to let others realize the power of inner strength, different styles of growing, moving on, not being defined by your past and most important that life can get better for anyone who is or has really suffered.
I recommend reading it with a friend at the same time because you are DEFINITELY going to need to discuss it with someone while you are reading!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly tragic but sadly it goes on., 11 May 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Paperback)
I do not usually read this type of book because reading for me is escapism and would rather read light hearted rom coms or fiction. But after seeing the Kavanagh sisters on This morning I felt as though I was turning a blind eye to a cause that needs a voice so I bought it. To sum it up in a few words, Tragic, Shocking, Inspirational, Funny. Give it ago, you will fall in love with these women as you begin to get to know them and it also gives you a sense of relief to know that they survived and achieved so much more than they believed they ever could.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly life-affirming story, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Paperback)
This is one of the most moving and inspiring books I have ever read. It is a beautifully written story of the journey of the three sisters from being helpless victims to powerful women that everybody should read. It is a testament to the power of siterhood, of community and, ultimately, of love. I can't recommend it strognly enough - I found it really boosted my faith in humanity and helped me to more deeply appreciate the good things in my own life. You can't beat that!

3.0 out of 5 stars Click Click, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Kindle Edition)
The reason for me buying this book is because three of the sisters were on This Morning TV. This would not be my normal choice of book because as most people I find abuse of any sort difficult to read or understand. When I heard the sisters talking about things that most of us have no comprehension I was captivated by them. You could see their closeness, they laughed so easily, and were most DEFINATLY not seeking the readers of this books sympathy.
Yes the beginning of the book that covered the abuse was difficult to read. I truly believe that this was only a
taste of what really happend and they gave a true insight to what life must have been for them at that time.

As the book moved on I became a little disappointed. There was much talk about the counselling involved in the recovery Process.. To be honest this was for me a little long winded and I'm sorry to say Lost my interest.
It seemed like a story only half told. There were lots of other children in the family what happend to them? Did they know what was happening? My heart goes out to these ladies I enjoyd reading your story I wish there was a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant but very emotonal story, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Paperback)
a must read its hard to belive these sisters went through such a horrific childhood at the hands of such a monster at times i thought i couldnt read anymore due to what these ladys went through but you get so hooked that you want to read there story to find out if that monster got what he should and to see how these ladys ended up later in life and i cryed at the end because it was brilliant to see these ladys succsesswell done to them for not letting him win

4.0 out of 5 stars sad but spirited, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Paperback)
What an amazing story. The ladies are very courageous, to have gone ahead with the richly deserved prosecution of their evil predatory father.

I found it very hard to read in places, because it was so terribly sad to read of these little girls being effectively tortured and humiliated right under the noses of so many adults who did nothing, even though some must have had their suspicions.

Even when it had come to light, the struggle to get "justice". And finally the derisory sentence after the destruction he had wrought.

I am amazed that they are still able to have such a sense of humour despite it all.

We all need to be alert to children with whom we come into contact

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave, inspiring book!, 9 Dec 2012
S. Climie - See all my reviews
This review is from: Click, Click (Kindle Edition)
This book is truthful , honest and brave. It is frequently painful to read, as an honest account of severe abuse should be, but also at times funny, inspiring and heart-warming.
The three sisters had different ways of coping,but they have all survived and achieved and not allowed the abuse to stamp "victim" upon them.
This should be essential reading for therapists, social and health workers and people who work for other organisations such as the police, schools, churches etc. for whom it is far easier to ignore rather than face up to the consequences of dealing with the abuse of the vulnerable.

It is a book for all of us. The more who understand, the harder it will be to conceal. Wonderful book! wonderful authors!

4.0 out of 5 stars Click Click, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Kindle Edition)
This isn't a great work of literacy, far from it, but it is a very honest and revealing must/should-read account about surviving childhood sexual abuse. Having heard the three Kavanagh sisters on TV and Radio interviews I bought this on my Kindle. The almost objective recounting of the abuse they suffered makes for very uncomfortable reading and the first part of the book jumps back and forth - but that disjointed style works as the reader gets an idea of a child's story being told by an adult. Like the child, the reader just doesn't know what is coming next.

I found the section on their counselling experience nearly as disturbing and wonder how helpful the "professional" help really was to these women. The book, and working through their own relationships is what I suspect has helped their healing more than anything else.

I never really understood why abuse is not reported immediately until I read this book and I commend Joyce, June and Paula for their courage, their honesty and their humour. I understand and respect their ability to forgive a mother (herself a victim in so many ways) who must have known what was happening in her home but wonder if, in the same situation, I could be as understanding.

They have managed to explain a world that is completely alien to someone like me who enjoyed a secure and happy childhood. I now understand why a child cannot "just say no" and would recommend you read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG WELL DONE, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Paperback)
It is immpossable to know(although they give a good descripton) what these women went through and at first I was regreting starting this book but I am so GLAD that I did. It makes naive people like me realise what can happen in families to innocent children. How true is the saying "You can choose your friends but not your family" who would choose a paedophile for a dad.
After reading the book you feel as if you know Joyce, June and Paula personally and you want to give them a hug and say WELL DONE girls What an achievement.
I recommend everyone to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entreiging, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Click, Click (Kindle Edition)
A book that doesn't want to be put down it makes you think how lucky you have been to have a good upbringing what these poor ladies went through when children

Click, Click
Click, Click by Paula Kavanagh (Paperback - 12 April 2012)