Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2016
Hannah gives up her New York lifestyle to come back to England to be married to Mark. When he doesn't return home as expected things start to not seem right to Hannah. Then she starts to look into his past.

This genre of domestic thrillers always excites me since I have read ' Gone Girl' and 'Before I go to Sleep'. What it is for me is that they explore the fact that do really know who we live with and love. This book I found disappointing.

I felt that the book was quite average and the reason why is that it was a bit messy. I felt the ending was wrapped up and there wasn't a final twist to give the book a wow factor. I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone, but there was the issue with camera. This was mentioned then seemed to be forgotten later on.

The story did take a while, at least half way through to start to turn but the became predictable.

This book is featured on the ITV 3 Crime Thriller Awards and I felt it was given a good review but for me it didn't quite hit the mark.
on 1 July 2014
All that really sticks out of this book is the number of times the character "leans her forehead" on to various objects. The steering wheel, a window, a wall....YAWN. I had to read it to the end to prove my self wrong perhaps and to find out what on earth happens. I did not prove myself wrong and the end was like a REALLY bad made-for-tv channel 5 movie!! Oh lord!! Not much substance... all a bit forgettable! Very disappointed - it is NOTHING like Gone girl! Does not EVEN compare.... BOOOOO.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I read Lucie Whitehouse's previous book, The Bed I Made, and while I thought the writing was brilliant, the main character very believable and some of the descriptive passages out of this world, I found that book suffered from an ending that felt both rushed and implausible.

This one is exactly the same.

The story concerns Hannah who is married to Mark, and whose seemingly perfect life is thrown into doubt and confusion when he fails to arrive at Heathrow airport after a business trip to New York. From this excellent beginning, the author ramps up the tension nicely, and I was really enjoying the book until about two thirds of the way through when it became obvious what was going to happen - although not exactly how. The ending I found annoying.

Lucie Whitehouse is a very good writer and I think she's been let down a bit here by overhyping a book that really is not Gone Girl.
on 26 September 2015
Slow start, I'll be honest. Maybe it was just me, and I'm so used to reading/watching American based media, but it was frightfully dull to hear about how rainy Heathrow airport - more or less the first location the events begin with. As the story unfolded, the characters delved into, I began to feel more and more hooked into finding out where Mark was, and why he was so late.

As the story goes on, more elements get added in, more characters begin to form the complexity of the story, questions arise and problems increase. I liked this book because it didn't just have a little twist at the end but it continued through the book turning back on itself again. Once one thing is admitted, more complexities make you say, 'Well hang on,...' and certainly for me, I couldn't move too far from the book for fear that something was going to happen....to who?

Read it, find out.

Seriously.
on 27 December 2014
I have now read all three lucy whitehouse books The Bed I Made, The House At Midnight and Before We Met.

Before We Met starts with Hannah Reilly with the buzz in her stomach as she is waiting in Terminal Three for her husband. She coukd see that on the monitors that her husband's Mark plane had just landed. But her husband Mark failed to get off his plane. Hannah tries to phone, text and email her husband with no reply. When Hannah gets a call from her husband of course he has the perfect excuse for missing his flight. But does Hannah really know her husband Mark well? Does she know what happened before they both met?. All though this is a creepy story this is not one of favourite from Lucy Whitehouse. Review by ireadnovels.wordpress.com
on 1 June 2014
First time I've written a review, but this book was dreadful. The plot was obvious from about 1/4 of the way through and the writing style is very amateur. Would not recommend.
on 11 July 2015
Didn't finish it. Poorly written. Tedious main character. Too much boring information about their past experiences. I wasn't even interested enough to find out whether the husband actually came back. Liked the front cover design.
on 22 August 2015
Mark is supposedly on a business trip to New York, where he and his wife Hannah, of 8 months had met. Now living in London. Hannah goes to meet him at the airport but he fails to turn up.
When he finally does arrive Hannah learns that there is so much more to Mark that she never knew.
I can't say i was completely gripped by this story. It's an easy read however it was quite forgettable and did have to re read a few pages each time. I felt like it went through dips rather than being consistently good. I was actually surprised by the twist and thats why i enjoyed reading the last 10-20% of the story. I doubt i will read something else by the author.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 January 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Poor Hannah just as she was thinking that marriage may not be for her, then meeting Mark. Having a whirlwind romance, leaving her husband to go on a business trip for him to not come back. Well planes can get delayed and you do always think that with mobile devices that you can get hold of anyone at any time. So well detailed about the emails etc and so up to date with the tech side of things. You would think this might be just another run of the mill type books that draw you in then disappoint. This is not one to disappoint, well for me not at all.

I enjoyed reading this and will look out for any other books by the author as this is the first time I have heard of her, but glad I choose this one to read. Just noticed that there is a book which I have ordered now called 'The Bed I Made' by the author.

Will not say if he does or does not turn up or even why or where he might be........Just grab it if you get chance to for me it kept me guessing and things got put off being done with it.

Lots of open questions for Hannah even more so when both of their friends thought they were going away on a nice romantic break together. It kept me hooked and guessing. As Hannah does seem to be level headed and not one to have the wool pulled over her eyes by anyone, quite a successful lady who is trying and clutching at straws each time she tries to find Mark then find out more and more like layers on an onion.
on 7 October 2014
When checking Reviews before making a purchase one does not want to see a precis of the whole book. In this case the media comments are helpful and ignoring those who had made a bad choice of book I found this a well written and gripping tale which can be read in a day or so - perfect if suddenly housebound. Dear old retired parents had two boys who developed in unimaginably awful ways, one much loved but wayward and the other difficult, challenging and jealous becomes a pathological liar and evil scheming psychopath but meeting the love of his life is his final downfall. A good read.