5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published 3 months ago by BusyMum

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired. Whole chapter irrelevant if you don't have slow cooker
Book bought with anticipation (I was one of the testers!)

Took book on holiday looking for new gems to try. There are definitely a few recipes that look interesting, so it's not a complete waste, but as the owner of quite a few cookbooks this is definitely not up there with the best.

My main disappointment is that the best recipes seem to be in the...
Published 2 months ago by EllaP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Top Bananas!: The best ever family recipes from Mumsnet (Hardcover)
I love to cook and have 100's of cookery books, but sometimes you just need something quick and easy which works and everyone in the family will eat. This book delivers just that. I have already tried the 3 minute sponge which is absolutely genius! Perfect for week nights when the cries of 'what's for pudding!' fill the air and you've had no time to prepare anything and have cleared the cupboards of all the chocolate biscuits in preparation for your latest health kick. A note of caution though...sadly it does taste rather good and you may find yourself making one for personal consumption.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, 21 May 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Really excellent cookery book with lots of fab ideas that don't take too much time or effort to make - but taste fantastic!

It's exactly the type of recipe book I like as it doesn't generally tell you to use bizarre ingredients that you either have never heard of or are unlikely to find in your average supermarket.

There are lots of lovely bright pictures in the book - so I have something to aim at when I am making the recipes - I find that really helpful!

The three minute sponge cake is really nice and rather morish!

I'd recommend this book as an everyday cookbook, especially for those coming home tired from work or in a hectic family with children, as the food is relatively quick and easy but tasty!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have!, 17 May 2014
This is a must have cookery book for all busy Mums and families - simple easy but fabulous recipes. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely family cookbook full of easy delicious recipes!, 26 May 2014
K. Robinson (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
The recipes in Top Bananas! are reassuringly based on the most popular tried and tested recipes loaded on to Mumsnet by parents themselves, so it is full of humour and understanding about what it is to be a time-strapped parent. There are a lovely mix of healthy and easy to follow veggie, meat and fish recipes and many novel ideas for snacks, baking and party food. It is handily divided in to chapters, with lots of tips about and encouragement with getting kids to EAT plus attractive photos (very important!). There are several recipes that can be used as a base and experimented with, which excites me a lot.

We have had a busy week trying out some of the recipes. I made the delicious cranberry granola and felt very snazzy slapping a homemade sticker on the jar. The naturally sweet butternut and red onion soup was another hit with my normally anti-soup kids. My partner and I loved the (one-pan!) sophisticated sea bass - it's so simple and we wil be cooking it for guests. Me and the boys made the beautifully moist chocolate bribe biscuits together, and they adored the eggy doorsteps. They also loved having banana pancakes for breakfast. It's so nice to have new ideas.

My absolute standout recipe has to be the malt loaf. It was so simple to make (each ingredient is a teacup's worth) and is now a household staple.

Other stand-out recipes I will be trying are kedgeree (a clever way to introduce the kids to spices), golden wonder (a sort of courgette tortilla oven-baked for ease), kid-friendly potato and chickpea curry, salmon espanol, yorkshire towers, 60-second cheesecake (genius!), lazy days couscous, marmite swirls, ice-cream-cone cakes (excellent idea), chocolate, almond and chestnut cake (yum) and last but not least the no-knead soda bread (I have an aversion to kneading). Were I a meat eater we would definately be trying some of the one-pot meat dishes and array of chicken recipes.

Thank you Mumsnet parents - your cookbook is packed with interesting, family-friendly recipes, wittily written by those who understand what it is to cook dinner while your kids are hungry and running riot. We will come back to you time and time again.

Review by [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple recipes that taste great!, 12 May 2014
My favourite so far has the be the 3 minute cake - it was worth buying the book for that alone! Some lovely recipes that I can't wait to try, easy to follow instructions, lots of veggie recipes too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 17 May 2014
Really impressed by this book.
The recipes actually look do-able, whether you are a proficient cook or more of a novice like me. Flipping through it I saw many recipes which I could actually see myself making, and the kids were excited eg. about chocolate play dough, pizzas etc. Also, the tips at the front about feeding kids are so sensible and down-to-earth- great.
The tone of it is very blowsy and upbeat- I liked it, it might grate on some eg. repitition of phrases like "No biggie!"
It isn't a general cook book so you're going to want to supplement it with a basics book like a Good Housekeeping manual, if you want a manual to cook everything. Each recipe takes up two pages.
It is beautifully put together- lovely high quality design, full colour throughout, photos worth salivating over, hard cover. It would make a good present, I think. In short, a strongly recommended book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and well set out, 3 Jun 2014
Sensibly set out with good chapter headings, nice pics and not too many ingredients.

The banana pancakes, origami fish (though I didn't make it wrapped in foil) and holy trinity stew have gone down well with my family - though we tend to eat things a bit spicier so I just adapted the recipes slightly. The flapjacks were delicious - I made mine with raisins instead of cranberries - and they kept us going through a couple of days at Legoland!

The only parts I found a bit pointless were the Sunday Lunch section as it wasn't really inspiring, and the Slow Cooking section because I don't own a slow cooker - it would have been better if they'd provided instructions for cooking in a regular oven or stove-top method.

5.0 out of 5 stars this will kill your diet, 27 May 2014
I bought this book as I need to increase my meal plan ideas. I have many cook books I've only made one recipe out of, but this book I use nearly everyday, as its so easy to follow and the ingredients are easily picked up in Tesco. Unfortunately I love the banana pancakes more than being thin, and don't get me started on how eating a whole malt loaf was going to work out. The only downside, it should come with wipe clean sheets you can put over the recipes because you use them time and again. Definitely the best book on my shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Looks very interesting and just right to try out on all the grand kids this summer holiday!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family cookbook, 29 Jun 2014
Brilliant family cookbook with easy to follow and tasty recipes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Top Bananas!: The best ever family recipes from Mumsnet
Top Bananas!: The best ever family recipes from Mumsnet by Lucy McDonald (Hardcover - 8 May 2014)
9.00