Format: HardcoverChange

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 January 2015
I haven’t seen much of Paul Hollywood on tv, as we don’t get a lot of the UK shows down here. But I have seen a few of his recipes before, and was sufficiently intrigued to investigate this book further. It’s hard to resist any book that offers ‘pies and puds’ as they are some of my favourite things. I’m not sorry that I brought this book, as it is full, not only of delicious recipes, but photos of all the recipes, as well as good photos showing techniques and steps in many of the recipes. For example, in the recipe for the Sausage Plait, there are two pages of photos showing how to position the filling on the pastry, make the slits in the pastry, and how to do the plaiting for the finished product – all very helpful and useful.

After an Introduction of equipment and ingredients that will be useful for the recipes, the first section in the book is Pastry – recipes for shortcrust, rich shortcrust, flaky, puff, hot water crust, suet and choux pastry, with techniques on rolling out, lining a tin and baking blind. This is all very useful for any cook, even an experienced one, as you never stop learning about these things. All the techniques are accompanied by photos demonstrating them, so again very useful.

The next section in the book is Savoury – pies and tarts, and pastries and portable pies. Recipes cover all sorts of savoury approaches, from Corned beef plate pie, Sausage plait, Meat and potato pie, through to Spinach, feta and pine nut parcels, Scotch pies, and Bedfordshire clangers. I have, so far made the Chicken and chorizo empanadas from this section, which were very straightforwardly written, and delicious.

The final section in the book is Sweet – pies and tarts, hot puddings, cold puddings, and cakes and pastries. Recipes in this section cover such items as Apple and Wensleydale pie (reminds me of Wallace & Gromit), Pecan pie, Queen of puddings, Traditional rice pudding, Baked custards, and Shortbread whisky dodgers. A great variety which I look forward to delving into.

This is a great book, full of interesting and varied recipes, well laid out, amply supplemented with photos and techniques clearly and readily explained. The variety of recipes will suit many cooks, and will delight all eaters who are lucky enough to get some of the lovely results.
22 comments20 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2013
Recipes suitable for any level of cooking and they are all well worth a try. Some great step by step instructions for all sorts of pastry, would definately reccommend!!
0Comment56 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
All the recipes in this book can be made using everyday ingredients. There are step by step color pictures to show different methods used.The recipes include, meat and potato pie, corn beef pie, raised pork and egg pie, smoked haddock and watercress,apple and wensleydale pie,toffee tart, treacle tart,artic roll,black forest trifle, strawberry mousse cake, come- again-cake and shortbread whiskey dodgers to name but a few, all acompanied by color pictures of the finished dish. There are some good ideas with xmas coming up that can made in advance and some that dont keep you in the kitchen all day but are still special and impressive.This is my second Paul Hollywood cook book and I love it, I just want to keep on baking, his recipes put him top for baking in my mind.
0Comment53 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2014
I bought this book on the New Years intention of cooking more for my family (which is hard when I work nights and weekends and my husband works days) as I always seem to cook the same stuff.
Tonight I made the cheese and potato pie from this book and I've never seen my son eat something so quick before. He didn't even flicker at the onion and chives in it which he normally hates.
The recipes in this are straight forward and it's nice to have a book of foods that are not only comforting and bring back memories of my childhood, but also a book which I can get my kids involved with.
I haven't made pastry in 19 years (at school) so I'm even more pleased at the step by step pastry guide at the beginning.
A top book for any level of cooking/baking.
on 5 November 2013
Another good sensible book by the latest pin up from the world of TV cooks.
Easy to follow. Concise order of ingredients and method. Some old favorites
In fact Yummy
0Comment41 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2013
All the recipes I bought this book for ARE NOT INCLUDED! It's a lovely book and I will use it BUT I will have to go online and print out all the missing recipes. A very incomplete cookbook from a really good TV cookery series. Who on earth decided to make a full, long-running series followed up by an incomplete short-running cookbook. I think we need the DVD so that we can fill in the huge gaps in interesting information and recipes.
11 comment40 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2013
Thank you for many new and delicious recipes for real comfort food, many of which can be prepared ahead of time.
There is nothing quite like the smell of a scrumptious steak and ale pie cooking in the oven. There perhaps isn't anything better than the first taste of a caramel and coffee clair. But with this mouth-watering new book about two of our nation's obsessions: pies and puddings. Paul Hollywood puts his signature twist on the traditional classics, with easy-to-follow, foolproof and tantalising recipes for meat and potato pie, pork, apple and cider pie, lamb kidney and rosemary suet pudding, sausage plait and luxury fish pie. He will show you how to create inventive dishes such as chicken and chorizo empanadas, chilli beef cornbread pies and savoury choux buns. If that isn't enough, here you will find his recipe for the Queen of puddings, as well as spiced plum pizza, chocolate volcanoes and apple and Wensleydale pie. There are also regional recipes like Yorkshire curd tart and the Bedfordshire clanger, and a step-by-step guide to all the classic doughs from rich shortcrust to choux pastry. Paul Hollywood's Pies and Puds is simply a must-have. Whether you're a sweet or a savoury person, a keen novice or an expert baker: it's time to get baking pies and puds.
on 14 November 2013
another brilliant book by Paul Hollywood some new thoughts on pastry dishes and puddings but also some welcome revivals of things we perhaps had forgotten
on 12 January 2014
I have been home baking for at least 45 years and have over 70 cookery books on my shelves. Sometimes cookery books can be disappointing but not this one. I have leafed through it several times and can't wait to try out some of the recipes. Paul has made this book easy to use for both the experienced and the beginner cook. Wonderful step by step illustrations and good down to earth recipes. The ingredients are mainly store cupboard items and the others are easily sourced in the supermarket. No need for lots of dishes and utensils either. This book will definitely not sit on the bookshelf unused.