5.0 out of 5 stars Even sick kids love Neil Gaiman
A review by my 9 y-o son (who says he wishes he was old enough to go to the pub to hear people reading stories like the man in the review underneath - I explained he wouldn't want to hear all the stories told in pubs). The utterly lovely Neil Gaiman made my son's day by describing this as the 'best review ever' after seeing it on Twitter...

***...
Published 10 months ago by Rachel H

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a children's book but still a fun, but quick read
Yes, so this is a children's book and therefore a very quick read for adults but still fun and quirky with a good twist at the end that even grown ups will enjoy.
Published 1 month ago by dot dot dot

5.0 out of 5 stars Even sick kids love Neil Gaiman, 20 Sep 2013

***

"Today I was sick. My mum doesn't always believe me when I say I'm sick, but my sister was sick yesterday so Mum said I could stay off school. `BUT,' she said, `Don't think you're going to be lazing around watching TV and playing on the computer all day.'

That was bad news. That is, indeed, what I was planning on doing. :(

I was bored, so Mum let me borrow her Kindle to read a book that was making her laugh, called, `Fortunately, the Milk...' by Neil Gaiman with illustrations by Chris Riddell. I noticed that it had brilliant pictures in it - even on the Kindle! - and Mum said I could go on the iPad if I wanted to draw a front cover for the book. I did. Look...

(you can see the images at: [...]

There was something very good about this book. It was an `enhanced edition' which means that the writer reads the book out loud to you while you read it! This writer is a good reader and he didn't sound at all like the dalek voice that normally comes out of the Kindle. Mum said I could stay on the iPad if I wanted to draw a picture of the writer reading the book. But I can't draw good faces so I drew a picture of the Kindle talking. Then I labeled it `Kindle' because Mum asked what it was.

(you can see the images at: [...]

I started to read. This is me reading. And no. My face is NOT the book.

(you can see the images at: [...]

Everyone should read this book. It will make everybody laugh. It is good and very clever. The best thing is that it goes backwards and forwards in time with the Dad meeting himself all over the place in the past and in the future and in crazy wormholes.

(you can see the images at: [...]

It has good characters. The dad is a funny dad. I also like the brother and sister because they are not stupid. They ask the dad clever questions to try and trap him, but he is good at wiggling out of trouble.

I think this is a very good book and it deserves 5 stars, which I have drawn here (because it meant I could stay on the iPad for longer. :) )

(you can see the images at: [...]

One day I would like to write books as good as `Fortunately, The Milk...' and draw pictures as good as this too."

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for kids aged 6 to 40+, 18 Sep 2013
John Hoggard "Trekkie geek" (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
"Fortunately, the Milk..." a review - by John Hoggard aged 41 and 364/365ths.

The story tells a tale of a father who, on remembering that his children have no milk for their breakfast cereal, pops out to the corner shop to get some. The children then ponder what is taking him so long and when father eventually returns his tale is truly fantastical - involving Talking Dinosaurs, Time-Travel (handled very well!) and large dollops of humour. The children are not passive in the tale and keep interrupting the father when a potential plot-hole emerges in the narrative. The illustrations by Chris Riddell are beautiful and enhance the words on the page, and are equal in the story telling to the words for capturing the mood and humour in the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars So, here's a funny story..., 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
Yesterday, I was on my way home from work. I'd finished early, having only had a half-day shift on Wednesday, and decided to meet up with some of my younger friends who had just this week began University.

As I walked into the student area of town, I found myself passing by the bookshop and seen the book sitting there, all very shiny and glistening. "Oh," I said, "Neil's got a new book out. That was quick." Then I bought it.

When I got to the student pub, it was full of half-drunk students and, as the only employed adult in the pub, it took me a while to find my friends. When I did, they asked me what was in my bookshop bag. I showed them the book, and before long, I wound up reading it to them.

More and more students began to gather around and listen.

Before too long, I was reading the entire story aloud to about twenty semi-intoxicated freshers, who would cheer along to the volcano god Splod and laugh at the vunderful wumpires. And sang their own dinosaur songs.

It was a very weird lunch....

So yeah, not just a book for kids. A book for crazy students with too much time on their hands, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is brilliant!, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
I bought this for my 5 (almost 6) year old son. We were getting a bit fed up with the whole Beast Quest, Dinosaur cove, Roald Dahl cycle we were in (nothing wrong with those books, they are great but we needed a change!). I saw this in a book shop and the staff member couldn't speak more highly of it. My son has laughed out loud, as have I, and it's really good fun. If you are a fan of Gaiman's darker Coraline, I'm not sure this book is for you. It's funny, daft and has everything any child would want to read about. Vampires, dinosaurs, space and time travel! I was concerned that my son would be scared of the vampires, sorry wupires :) but not an issue. Great fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars A silly review for an even sillier book, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
I highly recommend this book by Neil Gaiman for three reasons:
1) As far as I know, Fortunately, the Milk is the best title for a book that humankind has ever known. If you want to dispute this, then let me say something more difficult to dispute: Fortunately, the Milk is certainly the best title that has ever been invented for a story containing milk.
2) There is something for everyone in this story. And I do mean something for everyone. Throughout one father's quest to bring a carton of milk safely home to his children, there are encounters with aliens, dinosaurs (including a Stegosaurus inventor who flies a hot air balloon and a Tyrannosaurus Rex who fights intergalactic crime on a space bike), pirates, sparkly ponies, precious gemstones, an angry volcano god, and even time travel! Tired of reading about handsome, brooding vampires? Try wumpires for a change. They're perhaps an acquired taste, but at least they're different.
3) This story contains not only milk, but also a very healthy dose of wholesome nonsense. Our world has far too much sense in it, and reading this book will put some much-needed nonsense back into your life.

Bonus reason: The illustrations by Chris Riddell are beautiful, and without them this story would only be half as entertaining. I think Riddell accurately captured what a time-traveling Stegosaurus really looks like. Also, his illustrations of the father who buys the milk bear an uncanny resemblance to author Neil Gaiman (this is the main reason I chose the UK edition instead of the US edition).

Read this book. It will change your life! Okay, maybe not. But if you have ever had to go without cereal because there was no milk at home, you will appreciate Fortunately, the Milk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacky, wild, weird and delightful Dahlesque!, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
Originally posted on Serendipity Reviews.

What a delightful nutty book! Yet again, Neil Gaiman makes it look easy as he switches from writing for adults to children with a flick of his pen.

The tale is one of those tall stories you would expect to hear from someone deliberately trying to cover their tracks when they've got a bit way laid. However in this book, the children are just a tad sceptical of their father's tale, which unfortunately is the way modern children are. When I was a child, I would have stared wide eyed at my father in complete belief of his story, where as kids today see through it straight away. The story reminded me of a scene in Miracle On 34th Street, right at the end, where you are all desperate to believe in Santa Claus - well Neil Gaiman had me wanting to believe this story was totally real!

This book is quite quick to read - I finished it within the hour and found myself going back to read it all over again as I enjoyed it so much.

I loved the wumpires! The world NEEDS MORE WUMPIRES! They had me sniggering with delight.

You can't review this book without mentioning the awesome illustrations by Chris Riddell, who has created an uncanny likeness in his character to Neil Gaiman...

This book is wacky, wild, weird and delightful Dahlesque!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beauty from the imagination of Mr Gaiman, 18 Sep 2013
R. A. Christer "Raspberry Bazaar" (Corbridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
This is, as one would expect, a thoroughly entertaining flight of fancy. But, I was not expecting to have such a strong desire to colour in the illustrations (I'm 28). Not because they are lacking in any way but because they seem perfect for doing so. So, to all parents buying this book, from a teacher (and fellow human) - Your children may wish to colour this in, and you should let them.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's the best excuse you could come up with Dad!, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
Anyone who knows me at all will know anything Neil Gaiman publishes is immediately snapped up by me! I can't help it, there are very few authors that write both children's and adult fiction who do it so effortlessly. Switching between the two without so much as a hiccup! Fortunately, the Milk was on top of my 'Neil Gaiman want' list as soon as I heard there were dinosaurs, aliens and vampires wumpires involved and that Chris Riddell was illustrating the UK version (Skottie Young illustrated the US version).

Dad is in charge whilst Mum is away at a conference, naturally you know something is going to go wrong and it does - they run out of milk for their cereal. The impetus for Dad to go to the shop though is knowing he can't have milk in his tea! When he doesn't return the children start to wonder what's happened. Talking to a neighbor? Gone to a different shop? Kidnapped by aliens? It might just be the last one..

There were an amazing array of characters - intergalactic dinosaur police, wumpires, ancient civilizations worshipping the Eye of Splod, pirates, aliens that look like snot and all fabulously illustrated and brought to life on every page. When Dad (Riddell's illustration of Dad looks remarkably like a certain Mr. Gaiman) returns and starts relaying his tale neither of his children believe him but you just never know what a carton of milk might have to do. Neil's writing is both hilarious and beautiful, although Fortunately is a short book it will keep you - and any children that you might like to share the book with - completely entertained from start to finish! I've bought a finished copy for myself and I'm about to buy another copy for two small children in my life. I can't wait to read this one to them and tell them all about Professor Steg, his Floaty-Ball-Person-Carrier and a wumpire called Pale & Interesting Edvard!

5.0 out of 5 stars My best read of 2013 so far, 3 Dec 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
This book has been whipping round our house in a reading frenzy. We all universally loved this. Not a bad thing to say about it. We adore Chris Riddell and his top notch illustrations, and we all want Neil to come round to our house for tea - he can bring the milk.

A hilarious, clever and inventive story with something to keep you interested on every page. Every home should have a copy. I won't tell you what the story is about, because it is about so many things and trying to describe it is just going to give the game away. Let's say it's about one man's journey to buy the milk.

P.S. We love the wumpires best - just sayin'

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fortunately, the Milk . . . (Hardcover)
I bought 2 of these for my grandsons aged 6 and 7 as part of their Christmas present. They havent had them yet but I have read the book several times and it is a delight. My daughter ordered one for herself ...she's in her 40's after reading one of them too. The story is a great romp if you are going to be reading it to your children. If they are old enough they will love reading the story themselves and the illustrations are amazing too.
It is nice that for once the hero of the story is the Dad too.

Fortunately, the Milk . . .
Fortunately, the Milk . . . by Neil Gaiman (Hardcover - 17 Sep 2013)
7.69