5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin (well, back page actually)
Published on 11 Mar. 2013 by Betty

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd got How to Bake
I wanted this after watching the show and hoped there would be some extra recipes not included in the show. Although there were a few, there weren't many. Like others have said there aren't actually that many basic bread recipes in here!

Published 23 months ago by L

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin (well, back page actually), 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
If you're looking for a book purely made up of different bread recipes then you may be better looking at Paul's previous book, How to Bake. In this book you get a bread recipe and a spin off dish for that bread. Personally I think this book expands nicely on the previous How to Bake book. I was given How to Bake for Christmas and have been baking bread religiously since, (be warned, once you home bake you'll never want supermarket bread again!), but after three months of sandwiches, rolls and toast overload, it's lovely to have this book show me new ideas and ways to incorporate the bread I make into meals for the family. A few examples from the book are the rye, ale and oat bread, which is followed by a plum and apple chutney recipe to go with your ploughman's. Stilton and bacon rolls and a celery soup. Malt loaf and then a marmalade and malt loaf pudding. There's some lovely pate recipes too.

As always with Paul, he's plain talking, very knowledgeable and explains everything beautifully, it really is like having him there with you when you're baking. There is an abundance of photo's in this book. Every recipe has a full page photo, and there's plenty of step by step photo's to help guide you through the making and baking. (which is incredibly helpful when you're new to bread making, don't necessarily know what things are supposed to look like, or how to do something, or actually, if you're just a visual learner.)

The book is divided up into:
Classic Breads (bloomer, rye ale and oat bread, stilton and bacon rolls, rye and spelt bread, trencher bread, malt loaf, and their accompanying recipes)
Soda Breads (soda bread, stout bread, crumpets, cheddar and rosemary scones, soft treacle parkin, and their accompanying recipes)
Flatbreads (pitta breads, curried naan with sultanas, maneesh, wraps, corn tortillas, and their accompanying recipes)
Continental Breads (mini baguettes, ciabatta, pizza base, pain de savoie, trio of biscotti, and their accompanying recipes)
Sourdough (sourdough starter, classic sourdough, basil and coriander sourdough, olive sourdough fougasse, white chocolate and raspberry bread, and their accompanying recipes)
and Enriched Breads (Danish pastry dough, savoury brioche couronne, Sicillian lemon and orange sweet bread, Satsuma and dark chocolate brioche, lardy cake, and their accompanying recipes)

Well worth purchasing in my opinion. I'm looking forward to watching the BBC television series to go with the book and seeing what Paul does next.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a fab idea!, 24 Feb. 2013
helen "muppet" (cornwall) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
I have Paul Hollywoods 2 other books and I was dithering as to whether I really needed another one but I had a look at it in a bookshop (and yes I bought it there, sorry amazon but I still want shops in my street for retail therapy :-) ) and I love it. It's not what I expected at all, instead of just being more bread recipes it's a fab mix of breads and things that go with bread. Rye and spelt bread with a chicken and pistachio pate, malt loaf that can be made into a variation of bread pudding, stout bread with smoked salmon pate, cheddar and rosemary scones to go in a beef cobbler, curried naan with sultanas to go with a chickpea curry, maneesh with baba ganoush, ciabatta with panzanella, tartiflette pizza, pain de savoie with fondue, biscotti with hot mocha dipping sauce, basil and coriander sourdough with tomato and fennel soup, white chocolate and raspberry bread to go into a summer pudding with white chocolate cream, sicilian lemon and orange sweet bread to go in a limoncello trifle and thats just some of the lovely recipes. I love it and really wish I had more time to cook everything in it!

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to follow, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
Have normally made my bread in a bread maker but found the instructions in this book easy to follow and a joy to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd got How to Bake, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)

I then came across Paul Hollywood's How to Bake while shopping, and had a look. It seemed to have much more bread in as well as cakes and other things - I wished I'd got that one instead! Bit disappointed :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
A very good book easy to use and clear precise recipies that I have used lots of already We havent bought any bread since buying this and pobably wont as its so satisfying and easy to make your own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking book but shame there is a shortage of bread recipes, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
I was disappointed that it did not have more recipes about bread! I did not want to know about recipes using the bread like a bloomer sandwich and a bread and butter pudding, just simple honest bread. I tried the bloomer recipe and it turned out wonderfully, we all enjoyed it. But proper bread recipes were very thin on the ground. There seemed to be more soda bread recipes than traditional bread ones. Come on Paul, get a grip, and write a proper book about bread.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like to bake Bread? Buy it, 17 April 2013
W. P. J. Sheppard "Eklbride" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
This is an addition to my baking library. As the author says, "this book puts bread back on the centre of the table". There are bread recipes using a variety of flours and recipes using bread as the base. Start with a bloomer and end up with.Satsuma and Chocolate Brioche ice cream, making the dark chocolate brioche first. The recipes are all well described and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread with no machine, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
I have tried several recipes from this book now and they are great. I have an aga and learnt how to bake these by trial and error. I shall be keeping this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars All things bread, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
The pictures of the bread look amazing and I am sure would be if I could manage to replicate them, found the quantities of small ingredients difficult to translate into usable measurements like teaspoons, I expect this was my problem not Paul's. Due to arthritis I used a Kenwood Chef with dough hook to mix and it worked well, the bread proved well the first time but the second time took a while and after baking I found the crust a bit hard and overcooked. I tried making the scones, put them in the fridge as instructed and fed the resulting unrisen discs to the birds. Will try again, but I have made better bread in the bread machine and my own recipe scones are usually beautiful to look at and eat. I have been baking cakes for about 70 years and bread for 20, so I am not exactly a beginner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Bread Book, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Paul Hollywood's Bread (Hardcover)
I've tried quite a few of the recipes in this book, and it is a very good book but I also have Paul Hollywood's How To Bake book (and risking the ire of his steely blue eyes from the cover) which is much better ! I'd probably give it a higher rating if I hadn't got the other book.

Paul Hollywood's Bread
Paul Hollywood's Bread by Paul Hollywood (Hardcover - 14 Feb. 2013)