Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2013
As previous reviewers have said, I thought this book was better by far than the first, it's as if she's totally immersed herself in the feel of the world she has created and you are there too. Obviously, light, casual reading which does not take itself too seriously, unlike some Austen would-be's. For the record, nobody does Austen like Austen so all give up and if you must write Austen follow-ons and might have beens, write in your own style, it's more honest, don't pretend to be Jane Austen - you're not and you can't be.
on 19 May 2013
Sometimes you need to read a reassuring romantic trifle! To lift the spirits and dispel the cynicism caused by modern life! When your brain ache from complicated plots and you're fed up with feeling inferior to modern do-it-all, have-it-all female characters. This book more than fits the bill! Relax with a box of chocolates and a glass of wine and enjoy this good thoroughly good read.
on 1 February 2012
This review was written for The Review Diaries book review site. [...]
The Review Diaries is currently hosting a free book giveaway for a copy of 'Midnight in Austenland'
[...]

"It is a universal truth that nothing spoils a post lunch game of croquet like suspecting the other players of murder."
I read and reviewed Shannon Hale's `Austenland' in August and I loved it - it was funny, smart and such a brilliantly fresh twist on Austen.

The first book focused on the idea, on the romance of the situation and the concept of living in Jane Austen's world for two weeks. It was really good, but there wasn't a vast amount of action, so some bits dragged a little bit. However, `Midnight in Austenland' gave Hale another chance to take all the good bits and make them even better. Instead of `Pride and Prejudice' we plunge with Charlotte into a story closer to `Northanger Abbey' - as a result there's a lot more action, things happening and bumps in the night enough to scare me silly.

It's a lot tighter and a lot funnier (which is impressive considering I was laughing out loud most of the way through `Austenland'.) It feels like having explored the ideas in the first book, Hale has just snuggled right back into the world and thoroughly enjoyed herself. There is so much more detail, because instead of introducing all these fresh concepts, it's something that we already know and love.

There was less of a focus on the love aspect - although it was still there. It was more about Charlotte; her re-building her self-esteem and self-worth, and the mysteries surrounding Pembroke Park. I warmed to Charlotte straight away, she was strong and feisty and unbelievably funny.

""Oh, I meant `drawers' as in the things you open, not like underwear, because clean and tidy underwear is a passion of mine!" Really, Charlotte? She thought. Is it really? Is that a statement you want defining you?"
Charlotte has an almost constant conversation with her Inner Thoughts - to the point that they practically took on a life of their own, and I really loved seeing these conversations. It gave a greater insight into her character, and provided a vast array of humour.
"Her inner thoughts shut up after that, probably too distracted by Mr Mallery's manliness to taunt her anymore."
"Pipe down brain, Charlotte commanded. I blame mystery novels for your bad manners."

She was just so instantly likeable, nice Charlotte, who you just wanted to hug for making it through all the bad things and coming out as feisty, strong Charlotte. At the start of each chapter we got insights into events that had shaped her into the person she was - right back to childhood and then closer with the divorce from her husband. It was so empowering to watch her reclaim her life and her spirit, and I wanted to cheer her though.

And the host of secondary characters were a lot stronger this time. It was really good to see some people we already know from the first book, and also to have some acknowledgement of the events in the first book and their consequences.
It was great to see Miss Charming back again, and for some reason I preferred her this time, I really wasn't fussed on her in `Austenland' but she came alive this time and I felt a lot more compassion towards her as we found out more of her backstory.
And the boys... I adore Eddie, he was absolutely brilliant and a fabulous side kick in all of Charlotte's sleuthing.
"Disapproving? Of my sister? Impossible. If that were true, I should give him a most stern and scolding sort of look that would cause quakings and shakings of fear." Eddie previewed his stern and scolding look, and she nodded emphatically to show she was impressed.
He was absolutely fabulous, and I wanted more of him.

It was also nice to see a new dark and forbidding man in the shape of Mr Mallery, who has got glares and brooding scowls down pat. He was an intriguing man, with a lot more depth than I would have expected. Actually that's tru of all the characters, we got a lot more of them instead of one or two sides that were showcased in `Austenland' - the whole thing was just so much better. And that's impressed, because you can see from my thoughts of `Austenland' that I was blown away by how brilliant I thought it was.

"Mr Mallery at the reins of a light, two-wheeled open contraption that Ms. Austen might have called a "phaeton", but which Charlotte was tempted to call a "chariot" because it reminded her of the chariot races in the movie Ben Hur. Except there was a seat. And not lethal blades swirling in the wheel hubs. At least, not noticeably."

So yes, if you like Austen, buy this book. If you like Shannon Hale, buy this book. If you liked `Austenland' buy this book. And if you are a fan of feisty, intelligent and very funny heroines, buy this book.
"That is wonderful." He leaned his head back to look at the sky. "Allow me to absorb the wonderfulness of that for a moment. Yes, that will do."
on 4 November 2014
I chose to buy this book because I'd enjoyed the Austenland movie, and I'm so pleased I did. A lovely romp in Regency England with a touch of mystery and romance. A great summer/winter vacation read.
on 4 July 2013
I love anything to do connected to Jane Austen and these books were believeable. It would be lovely if there was such places to go to for a holiday. I bet they would be fully booked. Easy reading. Not everyones cup of tea but it is mine.
on 2 March 2015
I enjoyed this book very much. In fact I watched and enjoyed Austenland, the movie made from Austenland 1 (the novel) and actually bought the DVD, then I bought Midnight in Austenland to stay in this theme. Now I just bought Austenland 1 !!
So I can testify that you don't have to read the first then the second novel by Shannon Hall, they are quite independent.
Midninght in Austenland is funny and very pleasant to read, it's a real detective story, you never get bored and can't find out the outcome till the very end.
on 22 July 2015
it was simply enchanting, quite unlike the first, however I think it was just as good, the main character completely immersed herself into austenland and Shannon Hale managed to create the most perfect mystery that wasn't too complicated so it was so easy to read. Recommended to anyone who likes romance and mystery and a bit of comedy :)
on 1 June 2014
At first I was disappointed , it didn't have that Austen feel , and any parts that would try to show some courting would be over shadowed by a murder mystery ... But in the end it got better , so yes give it a try .
on 3 August 2013
It was OK but I enjoyed the first book more. This seemed a bit silly to me. Yes I know the whole premise is a bit silly but I was able to suspend disbelief in the first book but not this one.
on 28 August 2014
Not as good as the first book and a bit too far fetched. It had it's moments but I was disappointed by most of it. It's a shame because it could've been better without the silly storyline.