1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Call Me Sweet!, 11 April 2014
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Don't Call Me Sweet! (Paperback)
Hello, new favourite picture book! To be fair, I think I say that every time, but each one I read is so fun and always has brilliant illustrations. Angie Rozelaar's are no exception, and I now want a little colourful monster of my own. It's a good job I can't buy all these fictional people I become attached to because I'd need a new house!

This little monster wants to be anything but sweet. He wants to be scary, big, slimy and messy - the exact opposite of small and cuddly. He tries his best to achieve his goals, even making bug eye stew and stomping through mud. If there's a way to be naughty, he'll do it!

Smriti Prasadam-Halls has followed I Love You Night and Day with another great rhyming picture book, all about a young monster who wants to grow up before his time. It shows that, yes, adulthood can be fun (and scary) but being little is so much better - you get to play and run through mud without a care in the world. I think little monster soon realises this when he encounters a genuinely SCARY monster!

I really enjoyed this picture book and would it in the top five I've read recently. Children's illustrators are so ahead of their game at the moment, and each book they create is a new masterpiece to look at. Children these days are very, very lucky and I hope they get to read these truly wonderful books on offer!

Don't Call Me Sweet!
Don't Call Me Sweet! by Smriti Prasadam-Halls (Paperback - 10 April 2014)
6.27