5.0 out of 5 stars An instant all-time favorite!
Every once in a while, a book comes along with a synopsis and a cover which convince you, no matter what, you will love that book. You don't need to read any reviews or reactions, you just know. It doesn't happen too often. I believe the last time I had it, it was with Stormdancer. But then, along came All Our Yesterdays. I just knew it. However, with previous reads that...
Published 12 months ago by Debby (Snuggly Oranges)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great
If I was to sum up this book in one word it would have to be underwhelming. With all the 5* reviews and comparisons to the Hunger Games I really thought this book would grip me, but it ends up just being "meh".

It was easy to see very early on where the plot was going, and there were no surprises or shocks to turn things around as the book went on. To...
Published 5 months ago by Kirsty

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good novel, looking forward to the sequel, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: All Our Yesterdays (Paperback)
Very good novel looking forward to the sequel. One of the best YA books I've read in a while. Although the last couple of pages did confuse me

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair to middling, 24 Sep 2013
elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I see a lot of reviewers really like this book. It is being compared to The Time Traveller's Wife and The Hunger Games. I loved those two books, but find that this did not engage me as much as either of those. I feel like maybe I am a bit old for this stuff now. A lot of the sci fi cliches were present and correct, and if I had been a bit younger I might not have spotted them. I saw where the story was going, then it went there. Not too many plot surprises.

What did work well was the depiction of the main female character's journey from self conscious teen who couldn't open her mouth and say what she really wanted (which led to her not being able to get what she wanted), to a more confident person with the grit and determination to say and do what was necessary. Also the novel did not shy away from showing how power corrupts- despite the heroes' efforts- over and over again.

I did enjoy reading this book most of the time, and despite a slightly underwhelming ending, it made sense that it did have to end that way. I would have liked it to have been even more fiendish and dark and hopeless, but I don't think it is much of a spoiler to say that the happy ending more or less came about as prescribed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 July 2014
Different but very good

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPRESSIVELY TRYING TO AVERT CATASTROPHE, 6 July 2014
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The world is in deep trouble, under authoritarian rule as major wars rage. So much has happened in just four years. Unwittingly one man was responsible. Teen time-travellers Em and Finn must go back yet again to try prevent certain key decisions made. So far they have failed. Now they accept there is no alternative: the man must be killed. First both need to escape from captivity, then face the dreaded particle collider Cassandra - their bodies to disintegrate, then reassemble. The process exhausts, success not guaranteed.

The dramatic start instantly grabs attention - Em and Finn at the mercy of the sinister Doctor and sadistic guard Kessler (he with a face "like the smoldering of a doused fire"). The likeable two are destined for much suffering, physical and emotional. How will they cope interweaving with younger versions of themselves? Relationships become complicated. Surely Em and Finn are meant for each other, but what hope for him when Em meets again the love of her life, handsome neighbour James?

Some of the revelations may be anticipated by alert readers, others to come as a complete surprise. Everything is cleverly achieved, never more so than in a climax calculated to make the mind reel - two versions of the main participants confronting each other, the outcome anybody's guess.

Admittedly it is hard to credit the world changed so much in just four years, but such thoughts should not spoil enjoyment. Welcome here a great adventure, which mainly manages to avoid the possible pitfalls of time-travel novels: lengthy explanations, scientific mumbo jumbo, paradoxes, etc., etc.

Full concentration is needed, but amply repaid. Rest assured Cristin Terrill knows exactly what she is about, complications handled with awesome expertise.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: All Our Yesterdays (Hardcover)
After a string of books that I just couldn't get into, this book was like a breath of fresh air! I read it all in about four hours of compulsive reading, desperate to find out what would happen next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time Travel, 22 May 2014
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Publicity blurb identifies main protagonists and indicates what their relationships may be today, yesterday and tomorrow. There is Marina as a dizzy and privileged teenager in love with James the brother of a successful and wealthy politician who is shot, and Finn who is best friend of James and an ally of Marina – or is he? or is Marina who she thinks she is? or is James someone else? As a time travel novel ‘All Our Yesterdays’ is the ultimate combination of a coming of age story, a quest, and a dystopian future.

Author Cristin Terrill attempts descriptions of time travel with explanations on how it may be used for good or evil including how it can change or destroy lives, and how altering the past can affect the future, or let it proceed as though the travellers were never there. She tells a gripping tale as she skilfully introduces elements of love, loyalty, trust, friendship and sacrifice, as well as loss, deceit, corruption and abuse of power. Unfortunately as the story of ‘All Our Yesterdays’ unfolds it becomes increasingly complicated and convoluted as protagonists discover their true beings when looking backwards or forwards to what they were and what they may become. Towards the end it is particularly difficult to know who is who, but in spite of wanting to know more there is a satisfactory conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for older children, a clever, twisting story, 30 Mar 2014
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a clever, involving story that has lots of unexpected twists. It's suitable for older children, 12-13 plus, as the plot is probably too complicated for younger children to follow.
My grand-daughter is a keen Dr Who and Hunger Games fan; this is an interesting blend of similar genres. She really enjoyed the story. Others have outlined the plot well, and it's difficult to take it further without including some spoilers. Very well written and enjoyable - one for adults too, as it's such an imaginative tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it now....., 25 Feb 2014
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book for teens and adults alike....It has it all but most of all it is an adventure....I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it wholeheartedly....

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for teens, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: All Our Yesterdays (Paperback)
If you're looking for something to move onto after 'The Hunger Games' and 'Divergent' trilogies, look no further . This novel is fast paced and is possibly one of the best young adult novels I've read in a long time. The characters are engaging and your truly care about what happens to the protagonists. The students here will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars My twelve year old enjoyed it, 16 Jan 2014
PD (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book for my twelve year old daughter who will read almost any genre of book. She really enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy and so I thought she might enjoy this story. She did indeed like the book, and got drawn into the story of Em and Finn. She said that she would recommend it to her friends as a good book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

All Our Yesterdays
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)