1,167 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!
Published on 14 Nov 2005 by Nadia

3.0 out of 5 stars book 5 proved a surprising turn in events
I usually try to stay away from utterly enormous hypes (ie harry potter, lord of the rings), and I successfully did that until a little earlier this year, after this fifth book came out. So perhaps my opinion may differ from other reviewers here, since I didn't have to wait that long period of time in between book 4 and 5, where many people's anticipation was wearing...
Published on 28 Dec 2003 by cristy520

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!, 14 Nov 2005
Nadia "Fleet UK" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think that this book is the best written of the series. What I loved most about it was the development of Harry through this book. I think this book was very much a character development novel. I’ve loved many fictional characters over the years, but none quite as much as Harry. Because we’ve been with him from the start, we’ve been allowed to see every side of him, the bad and the good. JK Rowling has created a complex, and deeply human character who isn’t perfect and makes mistakes, and is the better hero for it. I’ll even go so far as to say that I think he’s the best hero ever created. I think we see Harry at his most vulnerable in this book. Still deeply disturbed by his frightful ordeal of the previous term, Harry is not helped by the fact that no one in authority will believe his story and seeks to silence him in any way they can. Harry’s frustration often gets the better of him in this book, and a devastating loss brings him close to despair.
Stephen Fry captures Harry’s moods brilliantly. The scene in Dumbledore’s office is powerful as much for Stephen Fry’s incredibly moving performance as for JK Rowling’s beautiful and sensitive prose. I really was moved to tears, and my heart ached for Harry.
Other characters were also developed in this book. Neville and Ginny really came in to their own. In fact, the theme of friendship was very strong throughout this book. We also learned much more about Snape, who I’ve always felt was Rowling’s most interesting character. I really felt for him in this book. I do think Order of The Phoenix is one of the best books I’ve ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker, more powerful, just as rewarding, 21 Jun 2003
At fifteen years old Harry Potter is no longer the bespectacled moppet of the earlier books. He is a stroppy, angsty teenager forced by circumstances to grow up just a bit too fast. However the book retains the same magic as the others - a magic that kept me reading for about thirteen hours more or less solidly, in fact. For make no mistake, this is a big and complex book. Not too complex - people underestimate kids - but certainly challenging, especially for younger readers.
The book starts with a bang and grows dark in the middle as injustice, indignities and failures are heaped upon Harry without any apparent redress, (I had to break here for a while, and found it hard to start reading again) but events lighten up as he responds and adapts to his circumstances and finds new inner strength and new resources among his friends and allies.
A familiar message from Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings - the important of acknowledging and conquering your inner rage and hatred - is becoming a central theme. The themes of courage and tolerance are, as always, absolutely core, but the theme of resistance and even rebellion against authority, albeit corrupt, unfair and cowardly, sounds a new and more adult note.
A number of new characters include one of the most unpleasant and least redeemable personages ever to grace the pages of a children's book. No spoilers, but perhaps this character is a little too close to home and a little too unpleasant. The button of the reader's righteous indignation is pushed just once or twice too often, I think.
The book does have flaws, the greatest of which is that there is just too much going on. Some characters are underused and some subplots could just as easily have been left out. Those who have read previous Harry Potter books may well find themselves suspecting absolutely everyone's motives and analysing every throwaway line in an attempt to second guess the author. In the end, however, this is a deeply readable and very powerful book which I would highly recommend both for children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark masterpiece..., 14 Dec 2004
I came late - and reluctantly - to Harry Potter, despite buying the first 4 books as a boxed set for my son. Only after observing him reading them and then re-reading them did I give in to the urge to find out what all the fuss was about. I read the first (wafer thin) book and, to be truthful, still wondered what all the fuss was about. Yes, it was amusing (a devil dog called 'fluffy'? I ask you!) but the laughter was not enough to explain what everyone was raving about. I almost gave up but curiosity kept me going. The fuss must be about something - right? By the end of book two I was hooked. What I have seen in these books is an evolution. Harry as a green, untested, frankly (with the exception of events as a baby), uninteresting individual. Then as the book ended and the story moved into book two, Harry started growing up and developing meaningful relationships. As he grows and matures, the trials he faces become harder and more sinister. The books developed to reflect this growth, from wafer thin to tome-esque, from lightweight to, frankly, dark.
I enjoyed this latest offering immensely, I think because the prose seems to straddle an undefined boundary between children/adult prose incredibly well. This time the writing was dark from the outset, picking up from where Harry Potter 4 finished, with the resurrection of the Dark Lord (he who should not be named). There were many touching moments, particularly when observing Mrs Weasley's maternal nurturing of Harry (who has never ever been nurtured by the horrible muggles he lives with). And I thought it was sweet that despite the fact that Harry has faced more trials than many an accredited wizard, when it came to love and romance, he was as unschooled and naive as the rest of us.
I have given this book the full 5 stars because I enjoyed this one more than the others. That is not to say Harry Potters 3 and 4 were not excellent - they were, but in different ways. Now JK, please hurry up and publish number 6!

5.0 out of 5 stars How much better can it get?, 30 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I am constantly amazed by the depth and strength of J.K.Rowlings writing. Even in the first book of the series `Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone`, when the writing was simpler and more geared to Harry`s then age-group, there were complexities visible to older readers. As the characters have aged so has the style and content changed and, as Rowling herself says, become darker. No longer does every book end on a more or less happy note. The violence, torture and death of an adult world are beginning to impinge on Hogwarts and to increasingly affect Harry and his friends. On an emotional level too the characters are changing although there is always the typical J.K.Rowling wit and humour! She has the gift of a quality writer for creating a vivid picture with the perfect choice of just one or two words. Obviously she`s not infallible but any mistakes she makes tend to relate to small oversights in the plot or background which in the context of the whole really don`t seem to matter.
`Order of the Phoenix` is, for me, the best book yet in every sense of the word. The others were each valuable in their own way and this one is simply the result of a natural progression - it needs the others for the development of plot and style - but Rowling is now really showing the power of her writing. Without going into detail for those who have not yet caught up with the series I can still say that there are scenes in `Goblet of Fire`and Òrder of the Phoenix` which contain so much tension and action that it could be difficult to maintain but she never lets your attention flag.
The recording of the books is done with as little disruption to the story flow as possible. The crucial thing, though , with the recorded version has to be Stephen Fry. He is absolutely brilliant! I can`t imagine anyone replacing him and I hope he`s already signed up for the rest of the series. His interpretation of the different characters is amazing. One word of warning though - once you`ve listened to him reading the books you`ll never be able to read them yourself without hearing him. The power of his interpretation just makes you appreciate Rowling`s writing more. A perfect match! Once The Half-Blood Prince`has been published the next thing I shall look forward to is Stephen Fry`s recording of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better on a second read, 15 Jan 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to confess that, on my first reading of the Order of the Phoenix, I was disappointed but, on reflection, I think that this might be because of the excitement on the lead-up to the book's release. Certainly on this read I found the book extremely gripping and exciting, with a great deal of plot progression.

Here Harry is dealing with the aftermath of the return of Lord Voldemort, and coping with the fact that he is kept very much in the dark about what is happening. While at the Dursley's over the summer, he has been relying on the Muggle news to see whether Voldemort has started the expected killing spree and reign of terror. When Harry and his cousin Dudley are attacked by Dementors, Harry is forced to do magic outside of Hogwarts - something expressly forbidden - and is summoned to a hearing. This is where he begins to learn that times are changing - his relationship with Dumbledore is strained and distant; the Minister of Magic refuses to believe that Voldemort is back and a truly chilling new character (Delores Umbridge) takes on the role of Defence of the Dark Arts professor.

Harry's fifth year at Hogwarts is dark, dark, DARK! He is reviled by many of his previously friendly classmates for telling stories to gain attention; he starts having dreams that leads him to believe that he is starting to feel what Voldemort is feeling (including his glee as he commits murder); and he suffers a massive setback in his Quidditch career.

A lot of characters really develop through this book and it is fantastic to read more indepth plotlines for Ron, Fred and George, Ginny and Snape amongst others. Here we have, for example, an extremely illuminating glimpse into one of the reasons why Snape hates Harry so intensely. Ginny becomes a feisty and very effective witch, while the Weasley boys provide much of the comic relief. I was rather pleased to see Ron, in particular, step out of Harry's shadow in a subplot about him joining the Quidditch team. Neville Longbottom, also, is treated well in this book and we finally learn more about him.

Two new characters really steal the show though. One of these is the dreamy Luna Lovegood - piercingly honest at times, but also believes in fairytale creatures and gossipy stories from the wizarding world. The other is the aforementioned Umbridge - for once Harry is struggling against a person who is not part of Voldemort's group of Death Eaters. Umbridge is cruel, vindictive, truly repulsive to read about. You feel like cheering when George and Fred take her on! There are some sickening moments in the story where Harry and Umbridge have quiet scenes together, such as his string of detentions at the start of the school year - these made me shudder.

Obviously there are faults with the book. This is the one where Harry develops teenage angst. For a long period at the beginning of the book he is sulky, sullen and often shouts in CAPITALS to make his point - I guess he is quite accurately written in terms of becoming a teenage, but it becomes tiresome very quickly.

The subplot with Harry and Cho's 'romance' goes nowhere fast, and fizzles out rapidly when Rowling decides who she would most like to see Harry with - a relationship that has been signposted since the second book, but is none the less welcome for starting to take shape.

The beginning of the book is slow and dragging, up to and including where Harry meets the Order in Sirius' house. Lots of names are thrown in quickly and some of the characters suffer from not being fleshed out at all.

Unlike the fourth book in the series, these are really minor quibbles. Considering that Rowling is now dealing with a large ensemble cast, each of them seemed to get enough 'screentime' in this book. It was an extremely long book to read, but here I savoured each page rather than skipping through filler as I did with Goblet of Fire. Even the owls Hedwig and Pigwidgeon are given enough character for us to grow ever-more fond of them.

The DA lessons were incredibly funny and heartening to read about in the midst of all the gloom. Rowling also writes very effectively about the heavy workload of the students as they study for their OWLs (I love that OWLs and NEWTs correspond to our GCSEs and A Levels). It is also fun watching the three leads start to think about life after Hogwarts.

I think the real high point of this book is the fact that Rowling no longer feels the need to explain every little detail of the past four books - it is as though she now assumes that those picking up the book have already devoured her previous novels in the HP series, and so she steams straight into the plot. And the plot leads us on a rollarcoaster ride that culminates in the most dramatic climax yet (although Rowling still can't resist the big reveal between Harry and Dumbledore - however, here I can forgive her much since Dumbledore's quiet and dignified explanation had me close to tears).

As I have commented on in prior reviews it is the little details of the wizarding world that, I believe, makes these books so beloved. I shall pull out here the example of the students having to write a certain amount of feet or inches of parchment for essays rather than using a page or word count.

Finally, I leave you with a quote that had me giggling from Ron's description of his practical Divination examination: "He (Ron) had just made Harry feel rather better by telling him how he had told the examiner in detail about the ugly man with a wart on his nose in his crystal ball, only to look up and realise he had been describing his examiner's reflection."

A great addition to the Harry Potter series.

5.0 out of 5 stars HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX, 10 Aug 2005
Many people deem this, the fifth book in the Harry Potter series, to be the worst of the six published so far, criticising it for being too long-winded, drawn out and not exciting enough. However I feel inclined to argue that this is one of Harry's finest, most magical and indeed most emotional adventures yet - and I feel every page is crammed with detail and that this (somewhat epic) novel is a tightly plotted masterpiece that manages to capture traits and trends of the people in our world and meld them spectacularly with Rowlings' fully formed wizarding world, which is just a joy to behold.
Admittedly the tone of this book is somewhat different from the previous four, and Harry takes on a rather grumpy persona throughout, but I found his teenage/adolescent tantrums totally in-character and definitely very true to life. I think by introducing such anger and angst into Harry's character, the book elevates in reality and the writing becomes more mature and character based. As the fifth book begins you feel you can't blame Harry for his constant bad mood, because a chain of disastrous events including the return of the evil Azkaban guards, the ever-mean Dursley family, horrible rumours in the wizarding press, girl trouble, a truly terrible new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, and of course the rise to power of the murderous Lord Voldermort follow him.
As always though Rowling manages to fill the story with red herrings, riddles, plot twists and surprises that keep you guessing to the end. Add a tragic death and Dumbledore revealing the truth behind the relationship with Harry, his scar and Lord Voldermort and this book is just as exciting as ever before. A brilliant book, that will keep you captivated throughout the entire 766 pages. If you like it, I would also suggest buying the audio edition, which is read brilliantly by Stephen Fry and makes the book even better. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, emotional, and incredible, 3 May 2005
At this time, you'll find exactly what J.K. Rowling has been doing: darkening and
maturing her books as her audience matures and grows older. This book, so far, is the darkest, saddest, and most emotional in the Harry Potter series. When you compare this to the first book, you'll find Harry's mind and feelings could never be more different, while in the first book, he is just 11 years old, and later, he's finding his emotions, and in each book he finds out a little bit more of what's going on in the world. If you thought the threat of Voldemort returning in the previous book (The Goblet Of Fire) was already bad, things get a little bit worse in this.
Besides the many more serious events in the book, there are some funny moments to help you get along a bit. Gilderoy Lockhart makes a hilarious re-appearance (assuming you remember his memory misfortune in The Chamber Of Secrets). At this point, his personality hasn't changed one bit. The only difference, really, is that he doesn't remember any of the people he met before his memory was damaged. He only has a moment's re-appearance, so he's not in for very long.
Remus Lupin (who first came into the story in The Prisoner Of Azkaban) makes a very good return. I was glad for the stories to have him back! In The Prisoner Of Azkaban, he is the new Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher, but left quickly for his own reason. Every year, there has been a different teacher for that subject. I do wish Lupin could have stayed!
This is certainly the best book so far, but The Goblet Of Fire is easier to read if you want a story that has more fun and action.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning addition to the series, 25 April 2004
Vesperia (Northern UK.) - See all my reviews
This is without a doubt JK Rowling's finest piece of writing yet and ifanyone wants an example of why Adults are embracing her work then I urgeyou to look no further. This book is crammed full of possibilities,history and hope. It twists and turns while never letting up on anythingobvious. It opens door ways to new hero's and ideas.
This is the book in which the kids begin to grow up, the way the dilemmasthat they face have been wrote is extremely true to life. I wasparticularly happy to see how much Harry's character is progressing interms of facing the usual problems that come to light like any otherteenager. His existence is not limited to the fact he happens to be awizard, he also happens to be a normal boy too and this book is keen tostress this. Too many authors fall into the trap of not letting theircharacters grow up but JK is not afraid of letting them go.
I think the largest change is probably that the story is no longer reallyfocused around just Harry. The other characters, plus a handful of newones, are now given the chance to be read about. While it does mean 'Orderof Phoenix' is longer than previous books it also means that beneath thelonger pages there is much more depth regarding the world that Harry isgrowing up in and the actions of those around him. It allows for a muchmore involved and explained piece of storytelling. Once you let yourselfbecome lost in the engrossing pages it is incredibly hard to put the bookdown.
There are so many fine points about the story but I do not wish to go intogreat detail as it will spoil it for those who have not read ityet.
When I finished it I really did feel as though it was just thebeginning. A truly amazing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... it's really good (no spoilers), 9 July 2003
I am still blown away by this book after finishing it four days ago. The beginning was better formed than in the other books (straight into action) and although I kept waiting for the Dumbledore-Harry-tell-all throughout the book, I didn't get tired of waiting. The Weasley twins doing what they do best, the DA, the real Neville starting to shine through, Ron finally getting the rep he deserves, Ron-Hermione-thing developing...an action-packed book throughout. And Harry's troubles just added to the way his character has been developing in the books. The fight at the Ministry of Magic was a good plot-twist, although ****'s death was just too sudden and simple. Like Harry, I just couldn't believe it had happened. Well, I wouldn't rule this character out of the books just yet, but we'll see...
All in all, I really loved this book. The first two books in the series were quite superficial (compared to the rest, but excellent reads nonetheless), but from the third one onwards there has been so much character development and in general a more serious note that the books really affect the reader. The fourth one still is my favourite after reading this fifth, but that may change after I've had more time to digest it.
I recommend this book to anyone who is even mildly interested in Harry Potter and his magical world, but if you're new to the series, start at the beginning with the first book. Or at least from book three, because with HP books some plot-lines started in previous books culminate in the next books or the ones after that.
All the hard-core HP fans have already read it so there's no point in recommending it to them. Hem,hem...
Once again, JK Rowling has delivered a masterpiece, Kudos to her!

5.0 out of 5 stars And now for something completely different..., 1 July 2003
Jessie Levene (West Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ok, ok, not COMPLETELY different, but I am pleased to say J.K Rowling has very successfully incorporated some interesting variations in this, her 5th book in the fantasic Harry Potter series.
Most obvious of these variations is contained in the first 100 or so, the majority of which do not (squealer coming up for those who haven't read it yet) take place at the Dursley's or Hogwarts. I won't say anymore, apart from that I feel adults like myself will enjoy this section the most.
Avid readers of the series will notice other not-so-subtle changes, including fits of temper, a higher frequency of angry arguments, and an almost continuous inner monologue from our hero. Yes! Harry Potter's hormones have finally kicked, and not a moment too soon. Their arrival lends brilliantly to some of the funniest moments of the novel, which, I warn the faint-hearted, don't come that often.
This is without a doubt the darkest Harry Potter book so far, and I squirm to think how it will eventually end up on screen. But despite the immense evil that is always oppresively felt, it is also the most 'Harry' novel of the series so far. What I mean by that is that we get in 'The Order of the Phoenix' a closeness to the protagonist such as we have never experienced before, a closeness that will rip your heart out when you reach the horribly anticipated death - it'll have you sobbing.
So, enjoy the ride, readers! I'm sure I am not alone in dreading the day that Harry Potter is finally laid to rest (metaphorically, one hopes) - the world of literature will mourn it's loss. Only two more books to go........

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter 5 Adult Cover)