5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. My favourite of the series
Published on 13 Aug 2005 by Chris Chalk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read
Enjoyed it very much , come late to Harry potter and looking forward to reading the remainder books. Bring them on.
Published 19 months ago by Mary Elizabeth Judd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. My favourite of the series, 13 Aug 2005
Chris Chalk "Chris" (Croydon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is definitely a pivotal point in the series. The first 3 books managed to get by on the novelty of Harry joining the wizarding world, coupled with the fact his life becomes under an ever increasing threat. This hasn't been exhausted, but isn't enough on its own to sustain a forth book or indeed the rest of the series. JK Rowling appears well aware of this and decided to really expand not only Harry as a character, but also the world he operates in. This really allows the reader to be drawn into the fact we are observers in a world that is no less complicated than our own, and the dynamics within it are not black and white.
Harry begins the 4th years in dramatic fashion, a visit from the Weasley family doesn't quite go to plan, much to the dismay of the Dursley's, but this does not stop Harry from attending the Quidditch World Cup. For the first time Harry grasps the size of the wizarding world he is apart of, realising there must be many other schools all over the world to accommodate all the wizards that clearly must exist. Harry's enlightenment is short lived however, resulting in his trip being cut short, this though is forced to the back of Harry's mind as the elder male Weasley's are being delicately evasive with Harry, Ron and Hermione...
Harry returns to Hogwarts buoyed by his time at the Weasley's and just like everyone else at Hogwarts is instantly fascinated by the prospect of a replaying of an old school tournament played between the 3 greatest European Schools. Each school can only have one champion and to ensure fair play, the Goblet of Fire is used to big the entrants. Does someone have it in for Harry though?
This book really begins to highlight the strengths Harry is developing, highlighting his bravery and loyalty, whilst also showing that at times he is fallible, and when all said and done he is just a 14 year old boy...
The writing in this book is superb, the pace is spot on and although the book is lengthy you will race through it as if it was half the length. I really cannot give this book enough superlatives, the writing of JK Rowling has clearly improved and isn't as simplistic as the earlier books, maybe its because it's the middle book that this transformation has happened, or maybe it's just coincidence but whatever the reason, I am so glad it happened as this book really makes the series so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, engaging, entertaining, and well worth the wait!, 18 July 2000
I now know I am not alone among thirty-somethings, who look forward excitedly to each new Harry Potter, and then feel something akin to a sense of loss upon finishing each book. I 'discovered' Harry in April, and since then have been waiting expectantly for book 4, which I read in just a few days (it would have been less, but my husband has started to feel a little neglected when Harry's around). This book did not seem to me to be any longer than the others, and it was just as enjoyable, if not moreso than all except perhaps book 3. I found it a gripping read, quite scary in places, although the sure knowledge that there are three more books to come, means that we can rest assured Harry will survive, and good will overcome evil.
JK Rowling's grip on her characters and the constant references to small details from the previous three books which help provide context and explanations as the stories unfold, are testimony to a brilliant mind in my view. Having read all four books now, like many other fans, I am eagerly awaiting the next book, and the one after that... I wonder do other readers feel like me, a sense of real friendhip with the three main characters? I really care what happens to them, and have even begun to hope fervently that Ron and Hermione are able to overcome their adolescent embarrassment and realise their true feelings for each other! Is there any hope for me? I have no children yet, but one on the way in February, and, boy or girl, I will be reading Harry Potter to them as soon as they are old enough to understand and enjoy as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death? Yes Please!, 10 Mar 2005
M. Goulden (Gtr, Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
It's tough being Harry Potter. You're famous, you almost die at least once a year, and you've somehow found yourself taking part in a Tournament you never even entered into in the first place. Can't you have a normal, quiet year for once? Of course you can't.
Yet, while Harry's finding things hard, his creator, Jo Rowling, makes it look like everything is incredibly easy. Her writing style, though far from impeccable (who's perfect?), is simply engrossing. She managed to turn over 650 pages into one of the shortest books I've ever read. I was done in hours, not days. You can't put this book down; you have to finish it, come hell or high water!
This is an incredibly dark novel. There are dragons that try to burn you to a crisp, there are so-called "unforgivable curses" that are designed to torture and kill. Most of all, people die. Yet, kids love Harry Potter. Why? Shouldn't they be getting nightmares? They don't because with these stories a perfect balance is struck between 'terror' and comedy. Jo Rowling injects a viciously witty and sarcastic sense of humour into her books - something much needed and much enjoyed by everyone. Not to mention, creating a well-rounded main character is key, and with young Mr Potter, Jo Rowling has done just that. His shy awkwardness around the opposite sex is especially played to great comic value, and why not? He is 14 now after all, and he is just like any other teenager.
Except he isn't. Harry isn't your average schoolboy. He is a complete misfit; his fame and cruel upbringing at the hands of the Dursleys leave him almost unable to forge new friendships, and things only get worse when he once more finds himself thrust unwanted into the spotlight. Lest we forget of course, that one dark wizard by the name of Lord Voldemort wants him dead. Yes, it's never easy being Harry Potter, but reading about him? Nothing is easier, or more fun, than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragons, Dark Marks, Death Eaters...and Girls, 28 Jun 2004
The fourth book in the "Harry Potter" series, "The Goblet of Fire" was first published in 2000 and deals largely with Harry's fourth year at Hogwarts. As the book begins, Harry is spending his holidays at Privet Drive. Although things have improved for him there since he started attending Hogwarts, the holidays are still far from enjoyable. He is thankfully rescued with an invitation to spend the last few weeks with the Weasley family at the Burrow. Better yet, the Quidditch World Cup Final - between Ireland and Bulgaria - is being played in England, and Harry, Hermione and most of the Weasley clan will be going to it. Mr Weasley, who works at the Ministry of Magic, had used some contacts at work to get the tickets. Some of his colleagues are at the match as well - for example, Barty Crouch (who is also Percy's new boss at the Ministry) and Ludo Bagman (a former professional Quidditch player). While Harry finds the event hugely enjoyable, it all goes pear-shaped : the celebrations are ruined by the appearance of a group of Death Eaters (supporters of Voldemort) torturing some Muggles and the appearance of the Dark Mark (Voldemort's symbol) in the sky.
The international theme is kept up throughout the book - on reaching Hogwarts, the pupils find out that a Tri-Wizard Tournament will be held during the school year. This is a very famous competition between the three largest European Schools of Wizardry and Witchcraft - Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. One champion is selected to represent each school and - due to the difficulty and danger of the tasks involved - only students of 17 and over will be allowed to enter. Naturally, this means that - if the rules are adhered to - Harry won't be allowed to enter. Among the visiting students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang are Victor Krum - who played Seeker for Bulgaria in the World Cup Final - and the highly attractive Fleur Delacour. Naturally, they don't arrive unsupervised - the Headmistress from Beauxbatons is Madame Maxime (who, incredibly, is around the same height is Hagrid) and Professor Karkaroff, from Durmstrang (where, they say, pupils actually study the Dark Arts).
Inevitably, there's another new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts. This year, it's an ex-Auror by the name of Mad-Eye Mooney. An Auror is a Dark Wizard Catcher, and Mooney is widely regarded as one of the best ever. He is now, however, considered a little paranoid - for example, he drinks only out of his own hip flask. 'Mad Eye' is a pretty apt description - he has one 'normal' eye and one magical eye, which can see through doors, walls, invisibility cloaks and even through the back of his own head. There's more to be coped with than new teachers though - teenage hormones are now starting to affect our hero and his friends. Harry has taken a shine to Cho Chang (Ravenclaw's very pretty Seeker), while Ron - FINALLY - notices that Hermione is actually a girl.
"The Goblet of Fire" is comfortably the longest one to date - at no point, however, does the story drag or feel 'stretched'. J.K Rowling has written another excellent book, and has given Harry and his friends another very enjoyable mystery to solve. Like all the other books in the series to date, it's very easily read and will be enjoyed by both children and adults. It probably would be better reading the series in order - certain things about the wizard's way of life and other characters are covered fully in the previous instalments. However, that shouldn't be too much of a burden, as the previous books are also very enjoyable !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goblet Of Brilliance, 22 Jun 2003
After reading such a masterpiece, you would think that Joanne Rowling had tired and wouldn't be able to bring out another good book for awhile. How wrong we all were. The Goblet of Fire stands as one of the greatest children books ever written (and one of the longest) and for this, I think that I have a lot to say about this superior novel.
When it came to reading this, I was very aware of Joanne Rowling's style and the way in which Harry's came about. When I picked up this book, Joanne Rowling seemed to be giving us something new. In this novel, we get a very detailed piece about the Quidditch World Cup, a sport that in the wizard world is very much like football in our world. It is at this match that the whole tail of events seem to come about and it is this part that shows Joanne Rowling has got a true dark side to her. Using the Goblet of Fire as a starting point, she uses this to bring to try and bring Voldermort back and because of this, she has written one of the darkest pieces of children's fiction ever created in a long time.
It is a big long adventure that just makes you want to stay for the whole ride. Joanne Rowling does not cut corners for us. She makes u go all the way and she takes the dangerous road where there seems like no way of escape.
After you have read this, you are so deep in shock that it is pretty hard to go through the day without thinking about everything you have just read. The story does not seem to finish. It is a major prologue for book 5 (which I had to wait 2 years to read - it was worth the wait). There is nothing better then this book and the climax that goes into Order of Pheonix. You'll never read another book like this in your life.
So be prepared for the ultimate in adventure, magic, danger and most of all Joanne Rowling's brilliant talent to crete a magnificent story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry just keeps on getting better!, 14 Feb 2002
By A Customer
First of all I'd like to say that I am the first to admit the size of this book is quite daunting. However, after reading the first three of the series, I didn't care how big it was, I had to read it. In my opinion it started quite slowly, and I was a little disappointed. It starts off with Harry still stuck with the miserable Dursley's, but at least this time, he has a little bargaining power. He then attends the quidditch world cup. It is after this they all head back to hogwarts, where Harry's name is mysteriously selected by the Goblet of Fire to take part in the extremely dangerous Triwizard tournament. It is about then that the pace of the book really picks up. I found that the second half of the book more than made up for the first. Upon reading Goblet of Fire a second time, I really enjoyed the whole thing. This book does a great job of examining the way relationships grow, and change. Harry is an excellent model for kids because of everything he's been through in his short life, but he can still make relationships work.
I think the thing I liked most about this book, as with the others, is that nothing happens without reason. JK Rowling is a master at tying every little event together, allowing the reader to understand the bigger picture better with every book. It's like each book has parts of a jigsaw puzzle and after reading the fourth book, the pieces are starting to fall into place.
The last few chapters of this book were absolutely amazing and have left me desperate to read the next book. If you haven't read this book, I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting and gripping continuation of a wonderful story., 11 July 2000
By A Customer
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, though eagerly awaited, is far from anti-climatic in providing the latest instalment of Harry Potter's journey through his time at Hogwarts. He and his friends and fellow students, now maturing fast, are put to the test in ever more challenging ways in 636 pages that span the full width of scenarios available to the life of a 14 year-old wizard. On the one hand, Harry and Co have to contend with an ever increasing workload at school whilst, on the other, cope with the dawning realisation that the irrepressibly evil Voldemort is on his way to achieving full power once more. Throw in the final of the Quidditch World Cup, a Triwizard Tournament that lasts a full academic year and a Yule Ball which forces an unusual choice of partners, and we have a cocktail of excitement and intrigue which keeps the readers' interest throughout, without flagging, and reflects too the inescapable realisation that the characters also have hormones! The tension builds throughout this book and races eventually towards a frightening and disturbing conclusion, carrying death and tested loyalties along with it. The book is far from being too long - it needs to be to satisfy all of the ingredients - and, once at the end, one is left wishing there were just a few more pages to continue the story, the starting blocks having been well and truly set for the fifth book. The way that readers of all ages are compelled to fall in with the wonderfully varied characters, and the way they interact, is as strongly apparent in this book as in any of its predecesssors and it is remarkable for children in particular to have such a compulsion to sit down for hours on end with a book open; it's just a shame to have to wait a whole year now until the next one.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece from J.K.Rowling!, 8 July 2000
By A Customer
The time is 8:40 pm on the 8th of July and I have just finished reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I am going to review this book (well, tell you what I think of it) but first I would like to aks if anyone knows of anybody who finished reading this book before me who got it this morning, I started reading this book at aproximately 11 am and read non-stop all today (apart from lunch and dinner). I am VERY pleased with myself for this...Anyway, like I said in my title, 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' is an amazing book and has lived up to its predecessors. I have read and loved all the Harry Potter books and I am a great fan of reading. There aren't many books that could have kept me reading for a whole day non stop however - the only other one I can think that could do this are any of the Redwall books written by Brian Jaques and books written by Tamora Pierce (tales of Allanna's and Daines adventures). I enjoy Harry Potter books so mcuh because i can get so easily into the story and plot. I love all the characters in the books and the plot is so interesting and detailed from the first paragraph that I can barely put the book down once i have started. I am very grateful to J.K.Rowl;ing for making this book so much longer than the others because, I get through good books at a rate of knots. Looking back, I should have saved the book, not read it all at once but nenever mind. Some people might be put off by the books size but if they are then they are missing out on a lot because it is a brilliant book. Some people might also think that the book will not be interesting all the time because it is so long but they are also wrong. 'Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire' is an amzing book and I would reccomend it to everyone. I can't explain why I, and millions of people around the world, enjoy these books so much, they are just amazing and I can't put it better than that. I am reccomending this book to anyone who can read and if anyone doesn't read it they are missing out hugely. I can't wait for the next part of the series to be published, even though it will be a long wait and I am looking forward to the film... Bye!

5.0 out of 5 stars Woulda given this book more than five stars if I could, 23 Dec 2000
By A Customer
There is no word strong enough to express the amount of magic in this book. Literally. Rowling's detailed writing leaves no doubts regarding any part of the story - Thousands of big and small mysteries, related or unrelated to each other, all solved but a few leading to the next book. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is packed with many jokes as well; Many of them would only be understood if you've read the previous books, though Rowling apparently tried her best to give necessary information to those who begin their Harry Potter experience in this book. My advice - Don't read this book before you read the others by their order (Philosophers'/Sorcerers' Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban). But this book deserves full marks for its brilliance, and for the author's creativity: The Quidditch World Cup, The Triwizard Tournament, Lord Voldemort's richness of character (though extremely evil, he definitely isn't the typical "bad guy"), the "Daily Prophet" articles, the detailed lessons... And all the spells, charms, curses, hexes, and jinxes (Accio, Avada Kedavra, Crucio, Imperio, Reparo, Furnunculus, Orchideus, Avis, Stupefy, Enervate, Densaugeo, Impedimenta, Engorgio, Reducio, Riddikulus, Sonorus, Reducto, Expecto Patronum, Expelliarmus, Relashio, Lumos, and more... There are even more in the other books) described to the last bit. This book is a must-read, as are all Harry Potter books - Whether already released or yet to be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely excellent book, by any standards., 30 Jan 2005
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
THE STORY:
Harry is mysteriously entered into the dangerous Triwizard Tournament and fears that someone is planning to kill him. His fears prove to be merely the tip of the iceberg as the Death Eaters, Dark wizards, begin to return to prominence.
WHAT'S GOOD:
I was, for a very long time, a Potter-hater, sneering at the mention of his name. I was pleasantly surprised by the first three books of the series, but was astounded to find that this book immediately became one of my all-time favourites. I'm not sure when the last time was that a novel so gripped me that the hours just whizzed by without me noticing (probably not since 'Magician' by Raymond E. Feist). There are so many levels to the plot that it keeps you entranced as to how each separate storyline will be resolved. One of my favourite elements (surprisingly, since I'm not usually into that sort of story) was the romantic tension building between Ron and Hermione; and Rowling somehow manages to perfectly break-down and utilise the exact sort of nervousness that a teenage boy feels when around a girl he likes (as happens to Harry). Perhaps best of all is the growing feeling of something bigger and more terrible to come (a feeling akin to thunder in the distance), a feeling that reaches a shocking level at the end of the Tournament, outside the Riddle house.
WHAT'S BAD:
Only that the story is far from over when you reach the last page.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter 4 Adult Cover)