4.0 out of 5 stars A woman's adventure across Australia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 9 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
I read the book in 3 days. It was excellent to start off with as you follow Robyn training camels. Also her account of life in Alice springs seemed realistic and down to earth. I was disappointed with how the book ended however. I thought she could have gone on to talk about how she readjusted back into 'ordinary' life, and I didn't really understand the relationship she had with the photographer(perhaps she didn't understand it either!!).If he was as irritating as she said she should have dumped him and continued the trip alone as planned. Nevertheless, this intelligent woman was brave and adventurous. It is a good bedside read but it didn't leave me 'on a high' like some books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A woman's adventure across Australia, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
The first part of Tracks is spent getting to know Robyn and her desires for this trip. She starts out in a small place called Alice Springs where she learns everything she needs to know before setting out on her journey. It was really refreshing to learn about such a small place in Australia and also how the people there different from those in large cities and towns. This is where Robyn learns how to care for camels, which are one of the largest parts of her trip, and how to look after herself out in the open. The characters that she meets both help and hinder her education.

Not only do you really get to know Robyn and her beliefs but also her camels. I know how strange that might sound but they really have their own personalities and stand out so much from one another. Robyn's relationships with her camels was one of the best aspects of this book for me. After spending so long learning how to care for a camel, how to treat injuries and how to make them work for her instead of against her, these animals were like main characters to me. Their antics made for some funny reading but there are also some quite tense moments with them at the same time.

When I first started reading this book, I imagined there would be quite a lot of boring parts where nothing much happened. As this adventure was trekking across the desert, I figured that this would take up most of the book. It doesn't. I was thankful to Robyn for not writing about these long, boring times where all she did really was walk. I know that this was a big part of her trip and she would have crossed a lot of miles doing just this but it doesn't exactly make for exciting reading. However, there were of course times where some of this is written about but only when something important happened.

Tracks gives a very unique stance on Aboriginals in Australia. Robyn states early on that she really doesn't know too much about their lifestyle but in Alice Springs, she gets a clear view of how white men see things. It was definitely eye-opening to learn about this different way of life and how so many people were against them. Reading about the way that Aboriginals were treated by white people was actually really shocking. Everyone has the right to live in a way that they see fit and these people were judged and bullied because of their beliefs. Robyn actually spends some time with different tribes along the way and her perceptions of people were changed dramatically after experiencing their way of life.

Tracks was a fantastic book and a great introduction to travel writing. I love travelling myself so to read about other people's adventures is pretty perfect for me. I can't wait to see what other books like this I get to read this year and to see if I like them as much as this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the movie, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
An amazing tale by a remarkable person about an unbelievable achievement. I read this while I was in Australia in some of the locations about which she writes and I really felt I was on her journey with her, so good were her descriptions of people, animals and places.

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks to the daily telegraph, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
read an article in the above the other saturday re the above (there is a film soon) & although we tend toward mountains this is a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Camels, 30 April 2014
Dr. H. A. Cowie (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracks (Kindle Edition)
I did not believe that I could become so involved in the personalities of camels. How courageous Robyn was on her journey and her writing vividly captures the pain and suffering as well as the elation that she went thorugh on this journey of self-discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing account of one womans jorney, 18 Feb 2004
Sally Barsby (Epsom, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
I am writing this several months after reading it and I can still remember the emotion I felt when I read it. It is a truly outstanding book. I originally got the book as I am interested in animal stories, although this is about animals it is more about one womans goal and how much she goes through to reach her destination, both literally and emotionally. Though out this story I was crying and laughing as she carried me along the trail with her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Making good tracks, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
‘Tracks’ is an inspirational book of how one young woman walked from Alice Springs to the Indian Ocean in 1977 accompanied by three camels and a dog. She is rightly indignant at the treatment of the Aboriginals since the first Europeans landed to how they continued to be treated during her travels. Sadly my own experience of being in outback Western Australia in 2001 confirms that for some those attitudes have not changed. The late seventies however was a period of change as the idealism of the sixties and early seventies gave way to a harsher pragmatism. There is a great line early on in the book about how many of the world’s angriest feminists have hailed from Australia who left as soon as they were able to.

The book also goes into much more detail than the recent film which inevitably jettisoned some incidents and of course authorial inner insights are also lost in order to tell a more simplified and linear story. The complex relationship between the author and the photographer from ‘National Geographic’ who sponsored the trip is also much more drawn out than in the film. Where the book really excels and what the film hinted at in some of its more memorable images is in how something as simple as walking, albeit in one of the most beautiful and harshest landscapes in the world, can be transmogrified into an experience as the author herself says akin to the Dreamtime. ‘Tracks’ is an affirmation that life is much more about doing what is expected of us and finding the time to follow a passion whatever that might be. ‘Camel trips do not begin or end, they merely change form’.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely adored this book; soul stirring from its ..., 6 July 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
I absolutely adored this book; soul stirring from its start to its end. Fabulous read for anyone, anywhere, who has a sense that there must be more to life than the hum and drum...

4.0 out of 5 stars Having had some dealings with camels I loved her understanding of them as much more complex and ..., 4 July 2014
Al B (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracks (Kindle Edition)
I deliberately read the book before seeing the film, but am now not sure I want to see it as it will inevitably not match the mental pictures I built up from the book. It's a fascinating tale, 'warts and all', of an incredible woman. Having had some dealings with camels I loved her understanding of them as much more complex and intelligent characters than they are often assumed to be. My only disappointment was that the journey seemed rather to peter out at the end, leaving me wanting more. But maybe that's good!

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, quick delivery, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to get this book and I wasn't disappointed. I received it very quickly and I'm enjoying the reading. I wouldn't say it a bestseller but it is a good story about an amazing and very brave young woman. So, I'll recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tracks
Tracks by Robyn Davidson (Paperback - 11 April 2013)
6.29