5.0 out of 5 stars Eat and run
Being a keen vegetarian runner, I found this book inspirational ,motivating aswell as practically helpful. Having tried all the recipes I now have a new outlook on post race and pre race foods and recovery. I would readily recommend this book to all other keen runners out there as it has put the meaning in the phrase 'food for thought'
Published on 14 Aug. 2012 by Bobme2

3.0 out of 5 stars Self absorbed
Ok - I know it's autobiographical - but I expected more from this. It's lightweight, Scott Jurek is self absorbed - appears to be completely oblivious to the impact of his actions on other people, and ultimately annoyed the heck out of me. I expected there to be more about his journey to a plant strong life, and kept waiting for him to impart some guidance to some of...
Published 19 months ago by Scally Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat and run, 14 Aug. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Persuasive, motivational, non-preachy, inspirational, 21 Sept. 2012
Well, apart from making my own ultra-running efforts seem equivocal to a jog to the bus-stop, I have to stress that you don't need to be an ultra-runner to enjoy this book. The writing engages, inspires, it's easy to read and wonderful to feel raw passion (no pun intended) leaping out of the pages without arrogance, preaching or indeed any inkling of being better than or above anyone else. The glimpse that the chapters give of the drive and determination behind Mr Jurek's success is enough to inspire anybody to clamber off the couch and do something more than you did yesterday! Bravo! - This is a wonderful read, a fascinating keyhole view into your personal world and I firmly believe that you could probably convince the King of the Jungle to go vegan - even if just for a week!

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 5 July 2012
After looking forward to this book I was very impressed with the end result. jurek comes across as an individual with tremendous humilility especially considering the achievements he has made in his chosen field, a refreshing change from "team karno!".
Although I have never had aspirations towards veganism I fully respect and relate to the arguments Scott puts forward to his leanings but again he appears to be no pontificating zealot. his basic inclusions for tips on running technique should be considered as gold dust for any aspiring ultra runner, that's coming from someone who just completed his first competition run, a 70mile ultra with no problems whatsoever by employing practically all the said advice, barefoots good & race flats rule!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational reading., 29 Mar. 2013
When I finally got round to reading this book I was hooked and finished it in 3 days (which quicker than it sounds because I don't have a lot of downtime during the week). Scott Jurek has quite a story to tell, and it is told well. I read this whilst nursing a badly sprained ankle and saw my injury in a completely different light when Scott recounts a similar injury with 56 miles still to run whilst racing the western states 100. I must confess as a marathon runner ,ultramarathons hold a fascination for me and this book i am sure will inspire me to run at least one ultra. Scott believes that his Vegan diet has helped him achieve his amazing feats of running and favourite recipes are dotted throughout the book. I have yet to make one of these but I am sure I will and no doubt will enjoy them-probably next time I have vegetarian company. An uplifting book that will appeal to anyone with an interest in running -with the recipes as an additional bonus to a great story

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 19 Mar. 2013
If you are a runner or simply a fitness enthusiast this is a must read. In response to people who think Jurek is a bit self important, I didn't get that impression at all. He worked hard for what he achieved, like he says many time in this book he wasn't the most naturally gifted athlete but worked harder than anybody. Good luck to him.

Throughout the book there are recipes and tips which won't be to everyones liking but like most of these books, you can take something away from it that you can apply to your own training or diet.

Another nice thing was to read the "Copper Canyons" story from another perspective.

Great book well worth reading for any moderate to serious amateur athlete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and hard to put down!, 23 Oct. 2012
Having just got back into running after several years resting due to an injury, I discovered this book whilst looking for an inspirational read. This is not the type of book that I would normally read but I'm so glad I did. It is a wonderfully written and well researched book that I found hard to put down. Scott tells his story with modesty and humility and is as equally honest and open about the lows in his career as the highs.
I was truly inspired by his courage and strength both mentally and physically and it was such a joy to follow his journey throughout this book. His recipes at the end of each chapter are simply an added bonus, especially if you are vegetarian and it's useful to know why certain foods are important in (a runners) diet. I wasn't aware of many of these races yet after reading the book I felt I had been introduced to places and cultures I hadn't known existed which in itself is inspiring and educational. Every bit of his success is well deserved and he has my utmost respect and admiration. I have no aspirations to compete in an ultra marathon but my own goal to run a marathon next year seems now quite a modest achievement but one that with the right training and mindset I know I will achieve. Thanks Scott, a fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chasing a Moment, 29 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness (Paperback)
A remarkably humble account from Scott Jurek of his life and achievements. It's not falsely modest - Jurek has been a legend in ultramarathoning for a long time, for very good reason - but nor is it driven by a need to sell his achievements to the wider world. What interested me most through Jurek's story is the expanding need to pursue something that is only offered to him at those points where mind and body are at their weakest, a sort of peace and transcendence only found in extremity. By the end of the book this moment remains a nebulous thing, hard for the author to describe but no less alluring. Perhaps it's something so defined by the moments in which it is fleetingly experienced that it remains hard to express to others. Regardless, this is an inspiring and surprisingly relatable tale. It's guaranteed to appeal to those who were caught up in 'Born To Run', and if you enjoy distance running at all you'll get all the more out of it for seeing what you love taken to its ultimate extreme.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special fellow, 16 Jan. 2015
Scott Jurek is unfairly juxtaposed with Dean Karnazes. Dean is a different animal and is a bit twee, very American, and tends to smile always - I have read his books and think he is probably a nice chap.

Scott Jurek is quieter by comparison, but equally committed to the need to run, and run, and run..... Eat & Run is a good read with an honest recounting of a tough early life - lots of work, love and sadness, but no complaints. This set Scott Jurek up to work hard, endure and enjoy striving, more than the success. The book drifts into a slightly dogmatic regime in vegetarian eating and can be a bit of a sermon, yet this is what makes an ultra-runner. For all their differences Scot and Dean are rather similar - which is nice to know. The 'Unlikely Journey...' strap line has merit, and I read it quite happily gleaning what I need to try my first ultra run at 58.

Scott Jurek - nice chap, sound logic and a must for the running bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars 99.9% Excellent Read!, 8 Feb. 2013
Just finished reading Scott Jurek's book "Eat and Run". Quite brilliant. Loved 99.9% of it. Am inspired by what humans can achieve.

Deeply respect his vegan lifestyle, just wish he hadn't cited Colin Campbell's "The China Study" (if you want to know why, Google "Denise Minger China Study" and be prepared to be amazed!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It, 22 Aug. 2012
I bought the book on the back of an interest in Ultra-Running and obviously Scott Jurek is a legend. I found this book to be interesting, informative and very hard to put down. His insights into running, nutrition and life are feel good. My wife, who has no interest in running, also found in a good read.

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Steve Friedman (Paperback - 11 April 2013)