5.0 out of 5 stars Eat and run
Being a keen vegetarian runner, I found this book inspirational ,motivating aswell as practically helpful. Having tried all the recipes I now have a new outlook on post race and pre race foods and recovery. I would readily recommend this book to all other keen runners out there as it has put the meaning in the phrase 'food for thought'
Published on 14 Aug 2012 by Bobme2

3.0 out of 5 stars Self absorbed
Ok - I know it's autobiographical - but I expected more from this. It's lightweight, Scott Jurek is self absorbed - appears to be completely oblivious to the impact of his actions on other people, and ultimately annoyed the heck out of me. I expected there to be more about his journey to a plant strong life, and kept waiting for him to impart some guidance to some of...
Published 10 months ago by Scally Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat and run, 14 Aug 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Persuasive, motivational, non-preachy, inspirational, 21 Sep 2012
Well, apart from making my own ultra-running efforts seem equivocal to a jog to the bus-stop, I have to stress that you don't need to be an ultra-runner to enjoy this book. The writing engages, inspires, it's easy to read and wonderful to feel raw passion (no pun intended) leaping out of the pages without arrogance, preaching or indeed any inkling of being better than or above anyone else. The glimpse that the chapters give of the drive and determination behind Mr Jurek's success is enough to inspire anybody to clamber off the couch and do something more than you did yesterday! Bravo! - This is a wonderful read, a fascinating keyhole view into your personal world and I firmly believe that you could probably convince the King of the Jungle to go vegan - even if just for a week!

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 5 July 2012
After looking forward to this book I was very impressed with the end result. jurek comes across as an individual with tremendous humilility especially considering the achievements he has made in his chosen field, a refreshing change from "team karno!".
Although I have never had aspirations towards veganism I fully respect and relate to the arguments Scott puts forward to his leanings but again he appears to be no pontificating zealot. his basic inclusions for tips on running technique should be considered as gold dust for any aspiring ultra runner, that's coming from someone who just completed his first competition run, a 70mile ultra with no problems whatsoever by employing practically all the said advice, barefoots good & race flats rule!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational reading., 29 Mar 2013
When I finally got round to reading this book I was hooked and finished it in 3 days (which quicker than it sounds because I don't have a lot of downtime during the week). Scott Jurek has quite a story to tell, and it is told well. I read this whilst nursing a badly sprained ankle and saw my injury in a completely different light when Scott recounts a similar injury with 56 miles still to run whilst racing the western states 100. I must confess as a marathon runner ,ultramarathons hold a fascination for me and this book i am sure will inspire me to run at least one ultra. Scott believes that his Vegan diet has helped him achieve his amazing feats of running and favourite recipes are dotted throughout the book. I have yet to make one of these but I am sure I will and no doubt will enjoy them-probably next time I have vegetarian company. An uplifting book that will appeal to anyone with an interest in running -with the recipes as an additional bonus to a great story

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 19 Mar 2013
If you are a runner or simply a fitness enthusiast this is a must read. In response to people who think Jurek is a bit self important, I didn't get that impression at all. He worked hard for what he achieved, like he says many time in this book he wasn't the most naturally gifted athlete but worked harder than anybody. Good luck to him.

Throughout the book there are recipes and tips which won't be to everyones liking but like most of these books, you can take something away from it that you can apply to your own training or diet.

Another nice thing was to read the "Copper Canyons" story from another perspective.

Great book well worth reading for any moderate to serious amateur athlete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, interesting recipes, 12 Feb 2013
Great book and definitely got me thinking about my eating habits. It is worth bearing in mind that anything tastes great after a 20 mile run so think twice about trying to impress a chick with the 8 grain pancakes recipe unless you're sure she has been on a 20 mile run.

5.0 out of 5 stars 99.9% Excellent Read!, 8 Feb 2013
Just finished reading Scott Jurek's book "Eat and Run". Quite brilliant. Loved 99.9% of it. Am inspired by what humans can achieve.

Deeply respect his vegan lifestyle, just wish he hadn't cited Colin Campbell's "The China Study" (if you want to know why, Google "Denise Minger China Study" and be prepared to be amazed!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Top read, 27 Dec 2012
Fantastic book, very inspiring and motivational. The recipe ideas at the end of every chapter was a nice touch, have made a fair few of the meals and they are all delicious (if made properly!), well written and worth a read even if you are not an ultrarunner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you just do things..., 22 Nov 2012
Very inspiring. It's lightweight & typical of these kind of sports memoirs but the fact remains that Scott Jurek is a monster and cut from different cloth to most of the rest of us. I was already following a vegan diet and running when I could but I've certainly amped it up a bit since reading this. You really can do pretty much anything if you want it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspiring, 17 Nov 2012
This book is even better than Born to Run. Didn't want it to end. So inspirational. Jurek is a legend and my new hero. Read it!

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Steve Friedman (Paperback - 11 April 2013)
6.29