Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 October 2009
This tiny little book (and it is small, like a thin pack of cards size) is one of my very favourite out of all the ones on my bookshelf!
It consists of prose rather than 'poems'.
It is so well written: little intimate stories from Patti's childhood, it feels like she's sharing her most private and treasured thoughts/fantasies/secrets with you and only you as you read.
Very difficult to put my finger on what exactly makes these simple little tales so transfixing - but I guess if I could do that I could write like it myself! How do you quantify genius?
If you read my other Patti Smith book reviews you'll see I'm no sycophant. I admit I am a huge fan of Patti's music, prose & poetry but if I think it's rubbish I'll say so!
On this occasion though, this book, however small, is GREAT!
on 7 March 2013
A small dream of a book - it's short and you end up reading only a few pages at a time .... just to save
and make it last.
on 9 December 2012
Superb. Patti is an excellent poet. Buy it and be educated. She is not only a song writer. Although she's brilliant there as well.
on 4 November 2014
As ever a thoughtful mind at work in the dirt and the clouds, with living and dying. Very enjoyable read.
on 4 March 2016
just a wonderful book as with all Patti Smiths she is magic with words
on 7 June 2015
Very good copy arrived very quickly too - very happy thankyou
on 10 February 2016