5.0 out of 5 stars A Definitive Book!
Published on 23 Jan 2004 by A reader

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful addition to your collection
My reason for purchasing this book was to break away from most cook books that teach you little more than how to replicate a certain recipe. I wanted to spread my culinary wings and have some useful knowledge to allow me to "go it alone" and this was recommended to me. Alas I found this book dissapointing from that perspective.

The book does contain some...
Published on 11 Feb 2007 by Drew

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Definitive Book!, 23 Jan 2004
As a chef, I found this to be one of the most useful books I own - for technique it is always the first one I reach for. It gives you a very thorough grounding in the fundamentals - e.g. stocks, sauces, bread, pasta, baking - which you can then build upon. It is an excellent alternative to cookery courses. Compared to 20K for a cookery course, this book starts to look like extremely good value!

It covers subjects such as making bread, pasta and sauces in more depth than any other book I have seen, and it tells you what to watch out for, as well as what has gone wrong when the recipe does not turn out as expected. The book contains hundreds of valuable recipes but they are (very sensibly) for each fundamental technique (bread recipes, stock recipes etc.) rather than recipes for 'main courses' like most books.

The book is certainly not only for professionals - it is of just as much value to home chefs as it demystifies so many subjects and gives you so many fundamental 'building block' recipes.

Despite being vegetarian, I have found that most of the book is still relevant and seems to provide well for vegetarian alternatives - I was pleased to find a recipe for 'brown vegetable stock' for making gravies etc!

One aside though - if you only ever buy one cookery book, make it Leith's 'Cookery Bible' - it contains a lot of the information in the 'techniques bible' but also nearly every recipe you will ever need.

Many thanks to Leith's!

5.0 out of 5 stars covers it all !, 8 Dec 2004
The best cooking book I ever read. Filled with explanations and techniques. take your time to read every chapter over and over and you'll be surprised the new things you learn every time you read it. Almost all the basics are here, don't look any further

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Useful Cookbook Ever, 10 Aug 2005
By A Customer
Included in the Waitrose Food Illustrated List of 10 Most Useful Cookbooks Ever, Leiths Techniques Bible is just that. Here all the expertise of Leiths legendary cookery school is condensed into a no-nonsense manual. With hundreds of recipes it is the perfect book for both the beginning cook and the experienced chef. The beauty of the volume is that it arms you with the basics you need to be able to use other recipe books well. The layout is incredibly clear and the panels on 'What has gone wrong when...' make it really user friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Have' Cook Book, 6 Oct 2009
Mark Weston - See all my reviews
This book is just what its title suggests and is an invaluable reference book.

The first part covers nutrition, safety, quantities, menu planning, equipment, knife skills etc. Part Two has 57 sections in alphabetical order from 'Aspic' through 'Chocolate', 'Herbs', 'Meat', 'Pastry' and 'Sauces' to 'Vegetables'. Each section starts with basic scientific and nutritional information before preparation, cooking and storage are discussed. Many varied cooking techniques for each food type follow. For example in the Sauces section, 63 savoury mother and daughter sauces are mentioned. Each cooking technique is accompanied by a useful and down-to-earth 'What has gone wrong when...'section. Although there are many recipes in the book, this is not a recipe book. It is firmly focussed on the techniques to get the best results and the recipes are just exemplars for food types or techniques. The final short part includes a glossary, conversion tables, bibliography and an index of recipes.

The book has only black and white line drawings but this does not detract.

I bought this book as I wanted to lift my self-taught, reasonably competent cooking skills to the next level. I have enjoyed reading the Techniques Bible as a book and have also been dipping into it when I have been preparing specific foods, to try to pick up hints and tips. If you plan to own only one cookery book, this is probably not the one for you but if you have endless recipe books and have space for a really good techniques book I thoroughly recommend it. I can see myself using this as my main reference book for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Tekkers, 5 July 2011
I spent ages wanting this book and finally got it last Christmas from my brother-in-law (a frequent cooking partner). Now that I finally have it, I don't know why I didn't just go out and buy it sooner.

There aren't many recipes in the book and that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I have a shelf of books telling me the exact measurements to put in each recipe but never explaining the why or wherefore. As we use a lot of 'substitute ingredients' in our house which all respond in different ways to 'standard ingredients'; I love that I can quickly and easily reference the background behind the idea I'm going for, adjust accordingly for ingredients, that may require additional moisture for example, and create something delicious.

I never follow a recipe word for word. This gives me the freedom to explore substitutions and alterations while expanding my somewhat limited knowledge of all things culinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Leiths Techniques Bible (Paperback)
Great service, great book!!! My boyfriend, chef to be, loved it!! Great present!! It teaches practically every cooking technique! And it's easy to follow the instructions!

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful addition to your collection, 11 Feb 2007
Drew (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The book does contain some techniques, and it does have a useful few lines after each section tellling you "what went wrong if", however I found the book in general to be more of a history of certain ingredients followed by pages and pages of recipes. The so called "techniques" are rarely encountered and too poorly illustrated to allow you to actually learn whats being described.

There are very useful sections on menu creation, kitchen planning and time planning. The sections on equipment and preparation are frankly awesome. If the authors applied that level of attention to the recipes I would be a happy bunny. If it included chapters on techniques rather than the odd paragraph and clear colour photos rather than line drawings I would have happily paid twice RRP for it.

As it is, the book will be an expensive reference piece sitting on my book shelf. It will absolutely come in handy for you, however if you want a book that will teach you the fundamentals of cooking (rather than recipe recreation) then I would suggest you look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leith covers all, 26 Aug 2003
The market for fully comprehensive cookbooks is crowded. This latest is a worthy addition but it comes at a price that, to this reviewer, has to be discounted to be competitive. A useful feature of the book is the "what has gone wrong when.." sections; however if that is your main reason for buying the book then consider Anne Willan's "Cooked to Perfection" (which is profusely illustated with useful photographs).
This book has a number of useful line drawings but no photo illustrations - which seens to the reviewer, to be penny pinching when considering the price - and comparing it with the step by step series of, for instance the Good Housekeeping series.
In several ways, not the least presentational style, it seems to be an expanded version of J Dimbleby's comprehensive cook book, which was at one time sold under the grocer Sainsbury's imprint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive quide., 9 July 2008
This is a fantastic book that covers cooking and cooking skills. It is a fantastic reference, a great example of this is I wanted a hollandaise sauce recipe and the book mentions three differnet methods depending on the amount of people you are cooking for. Excellent is the only word for it and it allows you to cook in your own style with the tips/knowledge of a chef. I would like to read the book in bed from cover to cover, but I think my wife would leave me if I did.... It is a little bit sad I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leiths Techniques Bible, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Leiths Techniques Bible (Paperback)
I brought it for my husband as a birthday present, he loves it, its all he thought it would be, Excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Leiths Techniques Bible
Leiths Techniques Bible by Susan Spaull (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
14.00