5.0 out of 5 stars authentic greece
I have learnt such a lot about greece from Hermes Diaktoris and his many expeditions around the Greek islands. he is such a powerful charactor but at the same time very laid back. His delving into the lives of others without causing upset is magic. Is he magic or is he real? I suppose I will find out eventually as I keep reading. I await the next book with baited breath.
Published 18 months ago by Jane Goodier

This is the first Anna Zouroudi book I have read and i enjoyed the easy and relaxed style. I found the build up to the reveal a little bit slow but maybe I expected more action. I could grow to love Hermes Diaktoros who appears like an angel of justice and unveils to truth to us. I'm eager to read another!
Published 1 month ago by Alli

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars authentic greece, 5 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Another absorbing tale from Anne Zouroudi, 17 Mar 2013
I love Hermes Diaktoros just as much as I like the idea of divine justice for those who deserve it in Anne Zouroudi's tales. As I understand it, she has set out to write 7 Hermes stories but I wish she would go on writing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Feb 2013
I read this book because I was enchanted by the authors other books in this series. I was not disappointed and thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Oct 2012
Dr. Peter D. Wilson (Seascale, Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
The tiny Greek island of Mithros has two mysteries dating back years: the disappearance of a supposedly Minoan figurine of a bull only a few days after discovery, and the reason for a violent assault on the community's most prominent citizen leaving him maimed in the hands. Now another arises in the form of a card-sharp thrown overboard from a departing boat without clothes, money or papers, but possibly a previous visitor with dubious associations. An investigator stranded by the need for repairs to his yacht looks into these affairs and links them all together; the only mystery remaining is his own identity.

The style of writing is easy and elegant, the viewpoint intensely civilised, character depicted with affection even even in human fallibility, and the whole a delight. Strongly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grecian Mystery in the Islands, 6 Feb 2013
All the intrigue of modern detective stories together with the history and magic of the Greek islands and their culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read., 18 July 2012
An absolutely wonderful story. I have read all of this authors books and this latest one lives up to my expectations. The main character, the fat man, is as intriguing as ever. Is he sent from the gods? The writer has a real feel for the Greek country and it's people. I wait for more books to be written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Anne Zouroudi, 27 July 2014
I have loved all of Anne Zouroudi’s books so far and this one is no exception. Having lived in Greece I can appreciate the way in which she gets to the heart of the Greek character. Hermes is a wonderful creation, sent by some higher power although we are left to our own devices to work out which higher power, he always manages to bring a mystery to a satisfying conclusion. In this case it is the missing effigy of a bull that has disappeared along with its replica from the museum. With a stranger suddenly landing on the shores and a benefactor about whom little is known, Hermes manages to bring order amidst the chaos.

4.0 out of 5 stars The righting of wrongs, 13 Oct 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A past violent crime, a lost artefact, and an unnamed stranger on Mithros - and the enigmatic Hermes Diaktoros has another opportunity to dispense justice and right the wrongs of the past.

I've only read one of the other books in this series but it's not a problem to dip in and out. Zouroudi writes beautifully but don't expect a sparkling, sun-drenched tourists' Greece - she uncovers something far darker and much closer to the ancient Greece of Athenian tragedy where the family, especially, is both the place of the closest of bonds, and the site for the greatest transgressions.

So Hermes restores a sense of order, stability and resolution - but the requisite ending doesn't quite manage to wipe out the very dark heart of this book. Recommended for an intelligent mystery novel with a strong sense of place and atmosphere.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... first Anna Zouroudi book I have read and i enjoyed the easy and relaxed style, 29 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars DELIGHTFUL, 13 July 2014
Really enjoyed this book from the Greek Detective Series. Anne Zouroudi KNOWS her Greek islands and the psychology of the people. I've been bored so often by writers who think they know the islands and people but have merely been there as tourists. Anne Zouroudi has lived and imbibed the culture, which is why her writing is so real. The idea of her Greek Detective being Hermes the Greek Messenger is captivating, together with the personalities and identities of his two crew men. Innovative and delightful. I look forward to reading more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Bull of Mithros (Mysteries of/Greek Detective 6)
The Bull of Mithros (Mysteries of/Greek Detective 6) by Anne Zouroudi (Paperback - 6 Jun 2013)