4.0 out of 5 stars Once you break a knuckle.
I enjoy short stories. These were set in British Columbia, Canada. The characters were true to life and reappeared in other stories in the collection. Would be happy to read more of D W Wilsons work. A breath of fresh air.
Published 14 months ago by William Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Published 18 months ago by Natasha Holme

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Once You Break a Knuckle: Stories (Paperback)
I read this without really knowing anything about it, simply because one reader expressed they were blown away by it. I must start learning that this doesn't mean that I too will love a book. I found it a bit of a slog, and often hard to follow. Nor did I care what happened. Every now and then though the writing did strike me as brilliant in a "Catcher In The Rye" kind of a way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Once you break a knuckle., 14 Nov. 2013
William Jones "SAM JONES" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It will always break, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Once You Break a Knuckle: Stories (Paperback)
Wilson's stories are set in far reaches of British Columbia, in the remote town of Invermere, a world of dead-end jobs, broken families, and brutal winters. The twelve stories cover three generations, using recurring characters but changing perspectives. They plot the relationship between fathers and sons, and men and their lovers.

It is a tough, unsophisticated world, populated by everyday men, good and bad, brave and cowardly. They are interested in firearms, cars and women. They strive to redeem themselves and realise their limited ambitions, while struggling against the reality of their lives.

Great writing opens up a world, makes its characters real, and leaves you feeling as if you have known them all their lives. I enjoyed this book more than anything else I have read in the last twelve months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Once You Break a Knuckle: Stories (Paperback)
You'll want the earth to swallow you up after reading this book: the prose is exquiste and never less than gentlemanly despite the surroundings. It is a noble savage sort of book; quite poignant and very moving.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and hard to follow, 8 Sept. 2013
MisterHobgoblin (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Once You Break a Knuckle: Stories (Paperback)
I seldom give up on books. Once You Break A Knuckle is the kind of book that makes me think I ought to do so more often.

This is a collection of short stories set in a remote Canadian town of Invermere. The population is blue collar in both thought and deed. We find locals itching for beer-fuelled fights, going off into the mountains with guns, driving around in pick ups and working on building sites. Some characters crop up in multiple stories but there doesn't seem to be any bigger narrative thread or any real character development. The characters are as they are. Perhaps there is a slight undercurrent of missed opportunities but mostly it's deadbeat people in deadbeat settings.

The writing relies heavily on dialogue and understatement. This makes many of the stories hard to follow - both in terms of what is going on and who is who - most of the Invermere folk seem pretty interchangeable and it is not always clear who is present in a given story, Perhaps greater powers of concentration would allow the reader to fathom this, but frankly why bother? The reward at the end seems so scant.

If there is a redeeming feature, it is that Break A Knuckle does evoke quite a strong sense of place; an atmosphere of decay and dereliction. That's not enough to justify reading the book, but does mean that there are worse books out there.

Once You Break a Knuckle: Stories
Once You Break a Knuckle: Stories by D. W. Wilson (Paperback - 11 April 2013)