5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another brilliant book by Tim Birkhead
After 'The Wisdom of Birds' I thought that it would be very difficult for anyone to write anything quite so good about birds for a long time. I am pleased to say that I was totally wrong - its been done again, and by the same author! For anyone who has watched birds for any length of time it is not long before they start asking questions such as 'how do they do that?' or...
Published on 1 Mar 2012 by Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but timid
An easy to read, enjoyable, informative book.

I especially enjoyed the explanations of how birds hear and see differently from humans. For example it is mind stretching to contemplate how some birds can perceive some sounds which exists only for a short time span whereas humans can't.

For my taste there was a little too much 'history of science' in...
Published 23 months ago by M. D. Holley

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite intresting!, 15 July 2013
Tymark Tomas (sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird (Paperback)
Intresting to see the adoptations birds have to their different lifes.
It is easy to be fooled to se them more like us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning., 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bird Sense (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most fascinating and thought-provoking books I have ever read. It reaches into the entire range of life experience,emotion and sensation. It s also a brilliant exposition of scientific method. I wish this had been around when I studied Biology at University in the 60's. It would have inspired me and changed my entire outlook.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent., 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird (Paperback)
Very readable and interesting both to enthusiasts and laymen. Glad I bought it and worth keeping.on my book shelf.for a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars I sent this to my birdwatching son, 15 Jun 2013
I believe my son, a keen birdwatcher who lives in Berlin appreciated this book, but I haven't read it myself

5.0 out of 5 stars Bird Sense, 16 May 2013
M. J. Childs "Little Jim" (Colchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird (Paperback)
Good book, just as we thought it would be. Well thought out and easy to read. To be recommended to everyone

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating subject matter, 30 April 2013
Wim Jacobs "ishpuini" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird (Paperback)
The book doesn't tell you what it's like to actually be a bird, as some seem to believe the subtitle promises. However, it clearly explains why this is not possible.

What the author does very well, is give details on how the different senses are used by various species to enhance their lives in an often unique way. For me the book was full of little details I could never have imagined and that will make me look at birds in a very different way from now on.

It's a fascinating subject matter with a lot of research work still to be done. I am looking forward to the advances in the field, and hope the author will be able to follow up this book with a sequel some day.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Do They Do That? Now We Know Thanks To Mr Birkhead., 30 April 2013
This review is from: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird (Paperback)
One of the most illuminating books I've read. Written in an informative but entertaining way, it allowed the reader to see birds in a new light.
: brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avian eye-opener, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird (Paperback)
This book is not just for those with an interest in birds but for all nature lovers because it really does reveal so many of the incredible ways in which birds function, allowing the reader to apply the insights to examples immediately in their own back garden. The senses are picked apart and although some of the examples refer to birds from foreign climes (the Oilbird is particularly fascinating), British birds get frequent mentions and it's now clear to me how a duck knows crumb from dirt when trawling the river in search of food. There is always a danger such a book gets bogged down in scientific jargon that alienates the reader but this one successfully engages to the end, the only frustration being that we do not know all of the answers yet....but then where is the fun in that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird (Paperback)
contained information not found in my many bird books.Easy read and keeps you reading without losing interest.Recommend to anyone with interest in animal behaviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Bird Sense (Kindle Edition)
You don't need to know anything about (or love) birds to find this book fascinating. Read how birds see, hear and smell and learn how this knowledge has impacted on our own lives. A book written with deep scientific research but also an easy and enjoyable read for the uninitiated.

Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird
Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird by Tim Birkhead (Paperback - 17 Jan 2013)
6.29