5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel to 'Veg'
Do I need another cook book? Like a hole in the head...my kitchen shelf is groaning under the weight of my collection of books. Who cares?! I love 'em and get much pleasure simply from reading a well written and well presented cookery book. My partner enjoys crime novels, I like cook books!
This new HFW book doesn't disappoint. I love the Veg Evey Day book, and...
Published on 1 Sept. 2012 by Self-help junkie

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting... but Not Really Practical
Published on 13 Oct. 2012 by Andrew F

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel to 'Veg', 1 Sept. 2012
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
This new HFW book doesn't disappoint. I love the Veg Evey Day book, and this is very much in that style. Beautiful to hold and read - superb colour photographs that just make you want to head straight into the kitchen and get going! And there are some fabulous recipes here that I just can't wait to try: tonight I'm making the chicken, plums and soy (looks amazing), and because I'm off to Sidmouth on holiday soon I'll be trying the crab, mayo and bread too. Other combos that look worthy of an early attempt include: mushroom, scone and sour cream; coconut, chilli and squash; mackerel, orange and celery; meringue, coffee and black currants. All look wonderful, all are simple, and many will be tried and tasted!
So if you, like me, really don't need another cookbook, who cares?! Dive in and buy this one - I'm sure you really won't regret it! (sound of splintering wood from kitchen as the shelf finally gives way!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 31 Oct. 2012
Bubbles "bubbles" (southampton, hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
Great book the receipes are so simple and you dont have to go out and buy a list of ingredients you dont have. I love his style of cooking not pretencious.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Concept ....., 4 Sept. 2012
Mr. P. R. Kirkland "Moviebuff" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
..... and a refreshing change from all those complicated cookbooks with recipe lists as long as your arm, including ingredients which are sometimes almost impossible to source.
Certainly the guest chefs on the BBC's "Saturday Kitchen" could learn a thing or two from HF-W in this regard.
Good to see that Amazon have clipped the price of this book since its publication from £16 to £14.75. Unfortunately it is still 18% more expensive than Sainsbury's delivered online price of £12.49. The days when Amazon could be relied upon to offer unbeatable value appear to be over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Superb, Satisfying, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
I never feel compelled to write reviews but had to add to already numerou love for this great book.

Why is it so good? Why should you buy it?

If you are anything like me you probably got a number of cook books sitting on your shelf, some used, some gathering dust. Trust me this one will get used.

The secret of the success of this book is in it simplicity! But not only are these recipes easy to do and follow they produce great results. I have make quite a few different dishes from this book now and every single one of them have been truly lovely.

The other great thing about this book is it is not just a book of rehashed recipes. There are new ideas and combinations here that will grab your attention right off the page and inspire you to make them.

If you are going to buy one more recipe book - do yourself a favour and get this one - trust me it will get used!

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Cheers for Three Good Things, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
This book is beautifully produced, with very good photographs and some whimisical little caricatures of Hugh. Most importantly, there are 175 recipes which (more or less) stick to the basic idea of using only three principal ingredients. As a non-cook I found the recipes very clearly set out, with the ingredients listed, and the cooking process explained well. It is a good way of learning basic cooking techniques, quite apart from adding simple meals to your regular fare: even I crave something more than baked beans and sausages sometimes. The book is large, well-printed and well-bound. Given its very reasonable price it far exceeded my expectations.. And yes, I have produced a couple of meals so far, with surprisingly good results. Ideal for learner cooks, and as a present for others. Thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting... but Not Really Practical, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I actually didn't enjoy this cookbook. I am to this day still using Veg and a couple other of Hugh's cookbooks, but this one didn't hit the mark for me. I appreciate the idea behind it and find the foody experiment interesting, but compared to his previous works this cookbook just didn't seem practical to me. Very little of it seemed like a meal, more nibbles or a quick plate of something to munch on. Overall, there were maybe 5 recipes I'd have wanted to actually take the time to 'cook', versus just thinking "Oh that looks like an interesting combination." So, yeah, ultimately I returned it and got another book... It's interesting, but it's just not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner from Hugh !!!, 17 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
I have ALWAYS been a fan of Hugh's from his early days when he first started out at River Cottage. What got me hooked initially was his hilarious running commentary on whatever he was doing at the time.
His wit and dry sense of humor had me in fits of laughter as he valiantly set about tackling the tasks in hand with lots of trials and errors and it was only later I began to realize that he was also a very accomplished cook as well.
I avidly followed Hugh's antics at River Cottage every week, and collected his DVD's as well.
He has produced some cracking books, and this latest one is his best yet.
If I could give it 10 stars I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh's done it again, 18 Sept. 2012
Sensible Cat (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
I'll admit that I was a bit cynical about this book - how could HFW repeat the success of his last two "Everyday" books without starting to repeat himself? And he does, but only a couple of times. Generally, it's more of the same creative, practical flair - good, straightforward natural ingredients put together in brilliant combinations. It's another winner - he really does get better and better.

I use "River Cottage Veg" on an almost daily basis and this one will be the same, I'm sure. He really does put healthy, natural food within anyone's reach. You can throw together some of his pasta recipes, for example, in less time than it would take to pick a ready meal and bung it in the microwave. And, while every recipe is based on a winning flavour combo, he always suggests alternative, so if you have a veg plot it's easy to come up with something quick and simple that will use up the latest crop.

There's some great ideas for snacks, salads and soups here - so no excuse for expensive ready-made sandwiches! Meat and fish sections are also excellent, with storecupboard meals represented alongside feasts requiring daily trips to the shops. And finally, there are lots of yummy puddings.

So go for it - Hugh has pulled it off again and this one is really worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly brilliant, 1 Mar. 2013
Dean Wanless "Deanos" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
Got this for christmas and was initially underwhelmed by it, a flick through made me think it wasn't for me. I'm a huge fan of the Veg book though, so picked Three Good Things up again and was amazed by it! It's become my most used cook book, I eat from it a couple of times a week and all of the recipes are pretty quick and cheap to put together. The lentils, potatos and spinach has become a firm favourite. I really can't recommend this book enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 8 Jun. 2013
George Gray "old bookie" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
Spent a week with my daughter recently, and was mightily impressed with meals she prepared from this book, so bought our own version.It's amazing how many really filling meals one can prepare with three ingredients. A plus for us is the large number of non-meat dishes, as we are vegetarian

Hugh's Three Good Things
Hugh's Three Good Things by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - 30 Aug. 2012)