5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel to 'Veg'
Do I need another cook book? Like a hole in the head...my kitchen shelf is groaning under the weight of my collection of books. Who cares?! I love 'em and get much pleasure simply from reading a well written and well presented cookery book. My partner enjoys crime novels, I like cook books!
This new HFW book doesn't disappoint. I love the Veg Evey Day book, and...
Published on 1 Sep 2012 by Self-help junkie

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting... but Not Really Practical
Published on 13 Oct 2012 by Andrew F

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel to 'Veg', 1 Sep 2012
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
This new HFW book doesn't disappoint. I love the Veg Evey Day book, and this is very much in that style. Beautiful to hold and read - superb colour photographs that just make you want to head straight into the kitchen and get going! And there are some fabulous recipes here that I just can't wait to try: tonight I'm making the chicken, plums and soy (looks amazing), and because I'm off to Sidmouth on holiday soon I'll be trying the crab, mayo and bread too. Other combos that look worthy of an early attempt include: mushroom, scone and sour cream; coconut, chilli and squash; mackerel, orange and celery; meringue, coffee and black currants. All look wonderful, all are simple, and many will be tried and tasted!
So if you, like me, really don't need another cookbook, who cares?! Dive in and buy this one - I'm sure you really won't regret it! (sound of splintering wood from kitchen as the shelf finally gives way!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 31 Oct 2012
Bubbles "bubbles" (southampton, hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
Great book the receipes are so simple and you dont have to go out and buy a list of ingredients you dont have. I love his style of cooking not pretencious.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent thing..., 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
My daughter has been watching this series with me on tv and as a result she has become much more interested in food and more adventurous in her eating choices. For that alone Hugh can do no wrong for me! We have just picked up this book and spent a fortune in the shops and had incredible fun together in the kitchen.

I am enjoying cooking without the fuss of 32 separate ingredients being added in a particular order resulting in relief the process is over. As opposed to this straightforward enjoyment of cooking and the tastes on the plate.

Under salads I recommend the Tomatoes,bread,olive oil - utterly delicious, as is the Apple,Mint and Lime. I have never had Beetroot,mozzarella,balsamic vinegar for a sided dish and I now realised that I haven't lived before now!!

My daughter wants me to praise the Potato,swede and egg but for me it is the Fish,coconut and coriander. The desserts are too die for and too numerous for me to comment. All that I have tried are thickening my waist as I type!

The whole book covers 403 pages, not including the index, of immeasurable and the most delicious fun. Once you have purchased your copy, and several others for family and friends, you will be constantly referring to it until you have your firm favourites under your belt.

Well done Hugh you have done it again - utter brilliance and I thank you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Concept ....., 4 Sep 2012
Mr. P. R. Kirkland "Moviebuff" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
..... and a refreshing change from all those complicated cookbooks with recipe lists as long as your arm, including ingredients which are sometimes almost impossible to source.
Certainly the guest chefs on the BBC's "Saturday Kitchen" could learn a thing or two from HF-W in this regard.
Good to see that Amazon have clipped the price of this book since its publication from £16 to £14.75. Unfortunately it is still 18% more expensive than Sainsbury's delivered online price of £12.49. The days when Amazon could be relied upon to offer unbeatable value appear to be over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting... but Not Really Practical, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I actually didn't enjoy this cookbook. I am to this day still using Veg and a couple other of Hugh's cookbooks, but this one didn't hit the mark for me. I appreciate the idea behind it and find the foody experiment interesting, but compared to his previous works this cookbook just didn't seem practical to me. Very little of it seemed like a meal, more nibbles or a quick plate of something to munch on. Overall, there were maybe 5 recipes I'd have wanted to actually take the time to 'cook', versus just thinking "Oh that looks like an interesting combination." So, yeah, ultimately I returned it and got another book... It's interesting, but it's just not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh's done it again, 18 Sep 2012
Sensible Cat (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
I'll admit that I was a bit cynical about this book - how could HFW repeat the success of his last two "Everyday" books without starting to repeat himself? And he does, but only a couple of times. Generally, it's more of the same creative, practical flair - good, straightforward natural ingredients put together in brilliant combinations. It's another winner - he really does get better and better.

I use "River Cottage Veg" on an almost daily basis and this one will be the same, I'm sure. He really does put healthy, natural food within anyone's reach. You can throw together some of his pasta recipes, for example, in less time than it would take to pick a ready meal and bung it in the microwave. And, while every recipe is based on a winning flavour combo, he always suggests alternative, so if you have a veg plot it's easy to come up with something quick and simple that will use up the latest crop.

There's some great ideas for snacks, salads and soups here - so no excuse for expensive ready-made sandwiches! Meat and fish sections are also excellent, with storecupboard meals represented alongside feasts requiring daily trips to the shops. And finally, there are lots of yummy puddings.

So go for it - Hugh has pulled it off again and this one is really worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Cheers for Three Good Things, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
This book is beautifully produced, with very good photographs and some whimisical little caricatures of Hugh. Most importantly, there are 175 recipes which (more or less) stick to the basic idea of using only three principal ingredients. As a non-cook I found the recipes very clearly set out, with the ingredients listed, and the cooking process explained well. It is a good way of learning basic cooking techniques, quite apart from adding simple meals to your regular fare: even I crave something more than baked beans and sausages sometimes. The book is large, well-printed and well-bound. Given its very reasonable price it far exceeded my expectations.. And yes, I have produced a couple of meals so far, with surprisingly good results. Ideal for learner cooks, and as a present for others. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly delicous food, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
My girlfriend and I are big fans of Hugh and his lifestyle. I watched the TV show this book follows and was a little skeptical but have found out that this book surpasses all others I have read. The amount of flavor Hugh has managed to get out of just using 3 main ingredients puts a lot of other chefs to shame. We've tried around 15 different dishes and all of them have been a delicious, fresh tasting and easy to prepare meals.

The quality of the book is also amazing and makes flicking through it looking for the next treat a real delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST COOK BOOK EVER!, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
This has to be one of the best cook books I have ever owned! The recipes are absolutely brilliant and soooooooo easy! Well done Hugh!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 8 Jun 2013
George Gray "old bookie" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh's Three Good Things (Hardcover)
Spent a week with my daughter recently, and was mightily impressed with meals she prepared from this book, so bought our own version.It's amazing how many really filling meals one can prepare with three ingredients. A plus for us is the large number of non-meat dishes, as we are vegetarian

Hugh's Three Good Things
Hugh's Three Good Things by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - 30 Aug 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available