5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! 10 Stars!!!
Published 22 months ago by Anon

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best translation I have read
Not the best translation I have read, a very mismatched use of old fashioned terms along with very modern speech which seems very out of place.
Published 3 months ago by Natalie

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! 10 Stars!!!, 11 Feb 2013
This book deserves ten stars! What wonderful tales, tales that transported me back into time and has left me hungry for more. I have always loved and been fascinated by the stories from 1001 nights, primarily because a lot of the tales originated from Persia, the land of my maternal ancestors. The author has done justice to the stories. I could envisage everything, and I too journeyed along with the characters through their adventures.
I have a collection of different versions of 1001 nights by different authors, and so far I have enjoyed this version the most. I am saddened that I finished the book so quickly.
I really hope that the author writes another book that details more stories from 1001 nights. Thank you Hanan for transporting me to the land of kings, princesses and jinnaat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 21 Dec 2012
What a simply fantastic read,give it a try,im now in the process of ordering other titles from this fantastic writer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best translation I have read, 1 Sep 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent recreation of some classic tales, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: One Thousand and One Nights (Paperback)
This is a joyfully and beautifully written collection of tales. "The Porter and the Three Ladies of Baghdad" is the principal tale: the others are fitted inside it. The stories are not bowdlerised, (thank Heaven!) , so they're quite racy at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read books, 23 Dec 2013
Must read books such as One Thousand and One Nights enables one to have worldly views enriched ready for lengthened conversation

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 27 July 2013
JHvW "JHvW" (Pays Bas, Europe) - See all my reviews
This book was a gift for a friend who gave a thousand-and-one-night-party. She had never read the book but liked the idea behind it. The book is beautiful edition so very suitable as a gift. My friend enjoyed it (or is very polite).

3.0 out of 5 stars Sexy but sad, 18 Mar 2014
M. Lawton (TWells, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: One Thousand and One Nights (Paperback)
For those who read selections from 1001 Nights as a child and enjoyed the magic and mystery, this selection comes as a real surprise with its steamy erotic tales full of entirely adult themes. The focus here is on relationships and the interactions between people who live in a rigidly hierarchical society in which women, slaves and donkeys are at the bottom of the heap - though not always in that order!

Hanan Al-Shayk writes beautifully and she does a brilliant job in bringing these tales into the modern era. No fault of hers but ultimately I found these stories really depressing. The cultural values they depict are so far adrift of our own that I struggled to identify with the characters or empathise with their concerns. The subjugation of women and the exploitation of slaves is the constant underlying theme in the book and it doesn't make comfortable reading. In a sense this depiction of the oppressed, and the wiles and deceits they employ to assert their own needs, opens a window on a reality from the past. However the problem is that the distinction between the goodies and the baddies becomes so blurred that I ceased to care who came out on top.

It did occur to me that she might be using these tales to make a point about contemporary Arab society but as I know little of it, others would be the best judge of that. A really thought provoking book but alas not to my taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars definitely recommend, 19 Aug 2013
Really good read!! Loved it
So well written/translated

Really enjoyed all the different tales and how they interlink so well

One Thousand and One Nights
One Thousand and One Nights by Hanan Al-Shaykh (Paperback - 7 Nov 2013)