5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Breathe
Originally published on [...]

Oh Wow!

Resist picked up from where Breathe left of and took you higher and higher. It exceeded my expectations and was twice as good as Breathe.

Published 11 months ago by Smithjamest

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Breathe, but good
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, and yet for some reason it took me a really long time to start reading this one. It was just sitting on my Kindle for ages. I have no idea why.
Published 3 months ago by Hannah Harvey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Breathe, 3 Oct 2013
Originally published on [...]

Oh Wow!

Crossan continued to weave a delicate story, tying up loose strands of deceit, twisting plots, love, and leaving a colourful tapestry of a story; with so many things to look at you are at a risk of missing something. Resist was an action packed story with a bittersweet ending. Paced well throughout the novel Crossan incorporated flashbacks, different viewpoints, new characters, each adding to the plot and none detracting from her climatic finish.

Her characters continued to develop and her main characters (Alina, Bea, Quinn and now Ronan) were as before given their own viewpoints which made for a gripping read with different perceptions contributing to the readers overall view of the worsening political situation, and challenged the reader to adjust previous opinions. Although Quinn remained quite bland the other characters had so much to add that I didn't really notice, though I suppose that could be considered a bad thing? Anyway he did mature slightly but not quite enough for my liking.

Resist contained so many plot twists that for the majority of the time I was perched on the edge of my seat, a shriek soundlessly escaping my mouth every couple of pages. So much more than Breathe I was completely and utterly emotionally invested in Resist and so I can solemly mark this book SWMLT (sealed with my loving tears.) Amen Pod.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Sequoia, 15 Feb 2014
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Paperback)
A young adult post apocalyptic science fiction novel. It's a sequel to Breathe. And tells of life in a world without foliage. Thus with no photosynthesis there's very little air in the harsh shattered landscapes. There's a privileged society living in a sealed pod. But there's more to the life of this new world than meets the eye.

As the three main characters, teenagers Bea, Quinn and Alina found out in book one.

This is not a good jumping on point if you've not read that book, ss it picks up right from where it left off without anything much in the way of exposition. So new readers should start there.

Those who have read it, read on.

This volume runs for just under three hundred and sixty pages. It's divided into five parts of varying length. One is no more than a few pages. Two are quite long. The other two relatively short. It's also further subdivided into sixty one chapters.

As with Breathe, the viewpoint character shifts from chapter to chapter. All of them narrate in first person present tense. But the chapter will always tell you at the start who the narrator, is you never get confused.

This volume has a fourth narrator, because Ronan is now a viewpoint character as well. In the aftermath of what happened in book one, he doesn't want to be in special forces anymore. He is offered a chance to get out. At a price..

Meantime Alina and other grove survivors are headed for Sequoia, the last remaining resistance base. Because there's nowhere else to go. And the leadership there couldn't be any worse than things were in the Grove? Or so they might think.

When Jazz falls ill, Quinn and Bea have tough choices to make.

They've all come a long way, and grown up fast, but there are still surprises and tough choices in store for them all.

As with Breathe the recommended reading age would be fourteen and up. Since this can be violent and does get a bit brutal - but never gratuitous - at points.

Initially, the lack of exposition and the prose style does mean it can take a short while to get into. But stick with it because suddenly It does become as readable as the first book was.

If this was a trilogy, all the moments in Sequoia might seem like middle book filler, but they do serve a purpose once you find out a few things about what is really going on there. Ronan is an effective addition to the main cast because he has a strong lot of moral issues that he is dealing with.

Bea and Alina both have tricky moments as well. This highlights the person the former is becoming, and stops the latter from being a generic tough rebel because there are points when she is a little out of her depth.

All potential love interest plot lines don't happen the way you might expect, either. Which is a pleasing surprise.

Everything comes together in the final quarter, which never seems rushed. And which leads to an ending which is a brave bit of writing. And one you won't forget in a hurry.

Although it seemed initially that this, like so much else in this field, would be a trilogy, this does appear to actually be the end of the series. The door is not necessarily closed for further stories from this world at the end. If there are none, though, then so be it. Because this pair of books have been a very good and memorable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Resist, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Kindle Edition)
This book is absolutely amazing. In a world with With hope,loss, victory and despair anything is possible.
I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Paperback)
I read book 1 in this series a year ago and I remember devouring it and loving it, so when I heard book 2 was coming out I was desperate to read it. However I couldn't get hold of a copy so had to order it through the library, then by the time I got it I had forgotten a lot of what happened in book 1. I started to read this book and just thought 'who is Alina and why is she on a boat?' so i decided to quickly re-read book 1. (I haven't re-written a review for that one because I had pretty much the same reaction as last time - i still loved it, so that first review still stands hehe)

So then straight onto Resist. The pod is starting to fall, Bea is on the run, Quinn is out there too, escaping from the riots and Alina is trying to make her way to the only place left that could help - Sequoia. But things aren't always what they seem and soon the 3 of them are fighting against something bigger than any of them could have imagined and the enemies don't always come from where you expect.

This book is actually the second and final part of the Breathe 'series', but when I had finished I was desperate for more. Sure the storyline is wrapped up enough that the majority of questions are answered and there aren't really any lose ends, but it's one of those books that just pulls you in so much and makes you connect with the characters that you can't bear to say goodbye. I was desperately hoping there would be another one in the series just so I can go back and spend more time in that world and see what would come next.

This book is told from Bea, Quinn Alina and Ronan. And I felt like I connected with each one, Ronan was a nice addition and gave an extra dimension to the story, another side to view it from. I think Bea is and always will be my favourite character though - indecisive at times, a bit nervous but willing to fight for the right thing and tough when needed. She's feisty and I can relate to her quite a lot.

There were some questions left unanswered which I am not entirely happy with, but overall Crossan does such a good job with the story, plot, characters, and general feel of the book that I can't help but love it.

I will definitely be buying copies of both book 1 and 2 when I can afford it as I know I will be reading them again, they are that addictive.

Sarah Crossan is coming to London in July to a big author event at the 'London Film and Comic Con' and I am trying to get the day off so I can go. Would be awesome to meet her, have so many things to ask her. Will probably have to pick my one burning question though. But after reading this book I am all the more excited to see her.

This is a series I highly recommend - fast paced, action packed and moving a story you won't be able to forget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Breathe, but good, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book as well. I liked seeing the characters working to resist the pod leaders and fix the way things were done. It was interesting to have the book mostly take place outside the pod as well.
For the most part I liked this book, and it had some really great moments. The only thing that has made me mark it down in my rating, is just that in some places the book felt a little flat.
I'm used to reading a lot of different dystopian novels, and I'd say that of all of them, this one probably had the most down moments, and in places I started glossing over sections and had to go back and force myself to read them.
This only actually happened in a few places, but enough for me to mark it down a little.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this series. The first book is better than the second, but they're both still really good and worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Kindle Edition)
Amazing book couldn't put the book down. I love this book and recommend everyone to read it. It is filled with excitement

5.0 out of 5 stars So good!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Paperback)
I loved the storyline of the first book, and was unsure how this book would lead from that, but it's done so well and is so gripping, I was struggling to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! It was the perfect sequel! I recommend that you read it, it was very gripping! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Breathe2, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant. I loved this series. The book took a little while to get into as it shifts from one characters view point to another's but the plot was good and the characters believable. I will look out fir more by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Resist breathe 2, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Resist: Breathe 2 (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed I read this book in 3 days I could not put it down I defiantly recommend this

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Resist: Breathe 2
Resist: Breathe 2 by Sarah Crossan (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
5.24