on 9 August 2014
The Night Rainbow is a stunningly beautiful book. Five year old Pea tells her own story authentically and with the magical imagination of a child. Pea's mother is seriously depressed following the loss of her husband and baby. Pregnant again, she is failing to cope with even basic childcare. Pea pragmatically decides that she and her younger sister will make their mother happy again. The reader realizes what Pea does not, that suspicious and worried neighbours may threaten the family's future together. This is a wonderful book which I cannot recommend too highly.
on 5 October 2013
I only bought this book because it was recommended to me by Amazon and I was not disappointed! what a lovely, amazingingly brilliant, simple little book. I read the whole thing in just over a day as I was instantly captured by the magical style of the writing and imagery - almost like a bewitching spell that the novel casts, taking you away somewhere completely different while you are reading it. The novel made me laugh and cry, especially the lovely characterisations and the little twists and turns along the way. Absolutely brilliantly written and I will now have to go out and buy copies for all my friends. Thank you to the author Claire King for writing such a fantastic book.
on 15 May 2014
I really enjoyed this lovely book which I read on my Kindle so much that I have just ordered it in paperback to give to my daughters to read.It was as all the other reviewers,a real delight and I am so glad that I read it.
I had just read a book called Room by E. Donaghue which was also told by the child as was equally as memorable but a little darker and I thought at point, that Night Rainbow was going the same way.
Nothing more I can add other than to recommend this book to everyone,it was a pleasure!
on 6 May 2016
What a beautiful story and what beautiful writing! I also really enjoyed the South of France setting (it's where I'm from), and the landscape felt like a character in itself. There is sadness pervading this book, but what comes out most strongly is the incredible resilience of the young heroine. I would love to know what kind of a person Pea grows up to be.
on 9 October 2014
I absolutely love this tale and I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say that it is well written and grabs the reader's attention immediately. The characters are well drawn especially Pea who is enchanting. Set in the South of France it is a child's view of her world and the adults in it.
I have bought it for several friends as I wanted to share my delight with others
on 25 May 2013
This is a pleasingly coherent book with an excellent voice and narrative. For only the second time in my life, I reached the end of a book and turned straight back to the beginning to read it through again (the first, in case you're interested, was The Bone People by Keri Hulme which I read about 25 years ago). Other reviewers have given excellent summaries, so I'll just say that I've never read a book quite like this. In its simplicity it is almost a children's book for adults. I loved the characters, and the setting, all so beautifully evoked, the story engaging my emotions without feeling at all manipulative. I would recommend The Night Rainbow to anyone looking for a well-written novel which is both memorable and readable.
on 28 April 2014
This story is so wonderfully written, the childlike perpesctive, and the language used really makes this a memorable book.

The story itself is captivating and really worth reading. It is a very unique point of view, and although the story unwinds slowly, there is something wonderful about the way it does. If you enjoy reading and like good well written books, read this.
on 8 October 2013
The story draws the reader in very quickly, which is always a bonus. As it developed, I found that the text often seemed to dissolve into a video playing in my head. I could 'see' all of the characters except for Maman who never became quite clear apart from her shape! Claude is a sympathetic character and initial misgivings about his motives have to be reconsidered. The loss he suffers in the story was trailed very clearly, and that was very sad, but the final twist took me by surprise. Not unpleasantly, either. This is not a long book, but its length seems to suit its subject, and I highly recommend it. The only thing I found tripped me up was the age of the main character, Pea. At the beginning her thoughts, words and actions seemed very mature for her age - but once that has been accepted, the story bowls along nicely. Nice one, Claire King.
on 19 November 2013
I bought this on a friend's recommendation and because I was off to France and it was set there!
What a sweet story. Pea, the character who is narrating and her 'sister' Margot are struggling with their grief over the loss of their Papa. So is Maman. The result is so sad, almost scarily, but ultimately heart-warming as the 'work through' a very hot and eventful summer with the 'support' of various characters.
I shall say no more because it will spoil it for you ;)
on 26 March 2014
What a beautiful story thoroughly enjoyed the telling of it in the eyes of the heroine There were times I laughed out loud and then cried .I found the authors style similar to Joanne Harris who I am a fan of. Such depth of characters and descriptive language .Lent it to my mum to read and she raved about it also.Everyone should read this book really moved me .Story of human fragility , grief , innocence ,friendship,love and hope.