5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing; the best Harry Potter book yet!
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said by someone here? It was absolutely amazing! I've loved the Harry Potter books since I read the first one last spring, but this is my favorite of them so far. The beauty of it, the layers of betrayal and friendship that are slowly peeled away chapter by chapter, are all simply breathtaking.
I started...
Published on 13 Oct 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Harry potter and the prisoner of Azkaban was a very good reed I thoroughly enjoyed it, I would get this amazing book.
Published 7 months ago by Pink balloon

‹ Previous | 184 85 86 87 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST BOOKS I have ever read, 17 Oct 1999
By A Customer
It's hard to believe that the 'Harry Potter' books are primarily for children. I am 35 and read extensively, this book and the other two in the series are some of the best I have ever read. I can't wait for the next four to be published! I would recommend them to anyone of any age!

5.0 out of 5 stars Year of harry potter, 21 Aug 2007
If antone didnt know and i dont think they will. This book was set in 1993 so the deathly hallows was in 1997 this was before the first one came out yet

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban, 23 Dec 2002
By A Customer
Unlike most people, I did not like the Philosopher's Stone all that much. I mean, I wasn't addicted and all that. But the Chamber of Secrets started the craze..I mean, I am bowled over by Rowling's talent and imagination. These books have so many different levels. I am 22, and I see something in it for myself. I think people who smirk that it is only for kids are those talentless kinds of people who talk to their children in those annoyingly high-pitched voices.
Azkaban is prolly my favourite Harry Potter book. The action is simply riveting...my eyes were stapled to the book right from the first page, until the last. And it left my mind with a flutter, and I just lay there thinking of its characters, trying to recreate some of its magic in my mind. The Dementors, Buckbeak, Hagrid, Professor Trelawny, Professor Lupin...oooh my! What a host of amazing creations! And the humour simply kills me! It has none of that Enid Blyton feelgood pretentiousness.
Of course, other reviewers before me have laid the gist of the story but the real thrill and fascination in HP lies in the ending, in Azkaban. By that time, I had acquired what I consider to this day to be my favourite Harry Potter character (shhhh, no names ;P)
Ah well, I am an aspiring writer, and I wish to thank JK for letting child-like imagination and wonder seep into my world. Harry Potter is just wizard!

3.0 out of 5 stars The two prior books were better, 24 Sep 1999
Please! Have the rest of you been reading the same book? Have I received a different book with a much more predictable plot amd an ending that is flatter than a coke left opened for several hours.. Or are the rest of you just sheep that must replicate the sam responses that have been made prior to your very own. Anyway this book was so bland and lacked the magnificant descriptions that the prior two gave us. I was thouroughly saddened by the apparant lack of effort the author made to keep in line with her previous offerings. I hope this will be corrected by the time she releases the fourth in the series. Oh well this is my two cents worth! Buy the book and judge for yourselfs :)

3.0 out of 5 stars The other two were better, 17 July 1999
By A Customer
When I read this, I was a little dissapointed. It didnt live up to #1 and #2.

2.0 out of 5 stars HAIRY POOTER AND THE KAMIKAZE POISONER, 8 Nov 2000
Michael JR Jose (the UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Initially I gave this one star, but my magnanimity got the better of me. Two out of five? As a story, I think it is the best of the three so far - but the price we pay is getting higher. I know one father who decided midway to stop reading this as his childrens' bedtime story. So, get your party-poopers ready, what is the problem?
Well, I still like the plot, athough it is three in a row for the paint-by-numbers formula. It works. Practice makes perfect, and the writing is getting better, the descriptions are more vivid. The pace is breathless in places. And I admit to another laugh-out-loud moment (two in three books!), when Malfoy got mud in his eye.
But now I am wondering which genre these books really belong to. Narnia (CS Lewis), Middlearth (JRR Tolkien), and Earthsea (UK LeGuin) fantasy? Not quite. Rowling does not bother to create a separate, consistent world to play in - or she cannot do it. But the horror element seems to grow as one book leads to another. Far from the magic being fun, it all gets colder and deadlier as time goes by. The dark is rising, and there are only cardboard cutout heroes to dispel it. Rowling does not love her 'good' characters, and they remain wishy-washy compared to the exciting evildoers. The heroes need all the dumb luck that they can get to escape the clutches of the Evil One. She does not even create her own monsters. The grey Dementors (demonic soul destroyers) use fear as their weapon, and are taken from the Black Riders in the Lord of the Rings. Just a change of shade, like a photocopier nearly out of toner. The other monsters are taken from Dungeons and Dragons books. The dialogue has been seen before in soap operas - the ones where the actors get their lines and think, 'Script weak - shout. Script very weak - shout louder'.
As the scale of values slides towards the Dark Side Harry and co. pull the 'Simpliciter absurdo pifflewiffle' spells out of the bag to survive. The adults dispense advice which veers between the obscure and the obtuse. The woman teaching the third form Divination is a tea-leaf reading quack - until she is possessed by an evil spirit, and gives a real dark prophecy for Harry's personal unbenefit. In fact, now I broach the subject, possession is a common theme through all three books. First book a teacher, next book a pupil, now an army of soul-suckers and a medium. So do you feel that it is all as harmless as it might seem?

2.0 out of 5 stars Why I Hate Harry Potter, 17 Jan 2000
Peter Giordano (Williamstown, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter is everywhere lately, featured on the cover of Time (but not as man of the year yet), making the rounds of the TV talk shows (in the guise of the author J.K. Rowling), and holding the top three slots on the NY Times Bestseller List. He's making headlines as both the savior of literacy and the spawn of Satan. But what's lost in this all this noise is the fact that, when all is said and done, Harry Potter is boring. He's popular the way Big Macs are popular; it's easy to sell something bland and formulaic....
The second problem is the gross simplicity of the plot and characters. Magic works in these novels the same way Waylon Jennings' singing worked in the TV show The Dukes of Hazard. Whenever Bo, Luke and Daisy got into a pickle they couldn't get out of, the show would cut to Waylon Jennings singing yet another variation of "Good Ol' Boys" and the problem would be miraculously solved. Logic, character development, consistency even within the parameters of the story, were always ignored. Harry has the same luck. Whenever he's in a jam or things aren't going well, he manages to find some long lost spell or some arcane rule of quidditch to make everything all right.
Character development is, of course, out of the question. Just like the rule requiring every Big Mac around the world to taste equally bland, every character in the Potter books is either good or bad from start to finish. Harry runs the emotional gamut from A to A and back again. The villains twirl their mustaches and cackle like an army of Snidely Whiplashes. The characters in the Potter books are all gross cartoon exaggerations; but as Homer Simpson has proven, even cartoon characters can have hearts. Too bad Harry hasn't learned that.
The real trouble with Harry is that his oversized ego and the hype all around him is crowding everybody else out of the field of new children's books. He's like the George W. Bush of children's literature. If you want to read books that don't insult the intelligence of your inner child try Holes by Louis Sachar, or The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg. Jules Feiffer has two amazing novels: A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears and The Man in the Ceiling. Or if you need something British try The Daydreamer by Ian McEwan. Like Harry, these books were all written in the last five or six years; and like Harry, they all have magic of one kind or another. But unlike Harry, these books are also fresh and intelligent....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sequel, 29 July 2004
Following on from the 2nd Harry Potter book Harry makes new friends and meets new challenges in his 3rd year at Hogwarts these are brilliant books and this is the latest book to be made into a film.

2.0 out of 5 stars Item not in conditiona as describe - Unhappy, 14 Jan 2013
Item not as described. Seller advertised as CD 1 of set having - few scratches. This was not the case at all. There were scratches through out most of the CD. Thankfully for me, as this was my daughters christmas present she did not notice as she is only 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic that will be around forever, 4 July 2004
J. M. Price "Julie" (UK) - See all my reviews
When I remember me laughing at all the nerds that read Harry Potter books and telling anyone what a load of junk it was, I am reminded forcibly of The Dursleys. They just don't make books like this anymore, and I bet that this book will be as polular in 100 years as it is now. Prisoner of Azkaban is the best book yet. It's got so much story and its full of adventure, there's simply not one boring page. I only read it because of all the hype surrounding it and now I see why. It deserves it all. I would recomend this book for 8 to 180 year olds. It has Dementors (Soul sucking nightmares) Snape (Imagine worst teacher ever times 10) Remus Lupin (Imagine nicest teacher in the world) and Sirius Black (Sexy hunky rough 'n' ready, but sadly not potrayed like that sort of guy. It's a must have. If books one and two were alright (Understatment) Then this is fantastic (Understatment) And did i mention Sirius Black?

‹ Previous | 184 85 86 87 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa8f865d0)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter Adult)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter Adult) by J. K. Rowling (Audio CD - 3 May 2011)
27.00