5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing; the best Harry Potter book yet!
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said by someone here? It was absolutely amazing! I've loved the Harry Potter books since I read the first one last spring, but this is my favorite of them so far. The beauty of it, the layers of betrayal and friendship that are slowly peeled away chapter by chapter, are all simply breathtaking.
I started...
Published on 13 Oct 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Harry potter and the prisoner of Azkaban was a very good reed I thoroughly enjoyed it, I would get this amazing book.
Published 10 months ago by Pink balloon

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing; the best Harry Potter book yet!, 13 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I started Prisoner of Azkaban one night as I got into bed, planning to read only a few chapters and then sleep. 435 pages and many hours later, watching the sun start to come up, I finally put it down, having finished the entire book. In the process of those 435 pages, I laughed, I gasped in surprise, and believe it or not I cried. The emotions of the characters expressed in this book as, bit by bit, the story of what really happened that Halloween night that Voldemort killed Lily and James Potter, were absolutely perfect.
One of the finest books I've ever read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty, brilliant, and fun for all ages masterpiece!!!, 29 July 1999
By A Customer
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" was excellent. The books say ages 8-12, but I, like so many others, am older and enjoying them. This series easily ranks with J.R.R. Tolkein, Roald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, Philip Pullman, and Lewis Carroll. The stories have great, twisting plot lines and this new one especially had a more mature thread to it. J.K. Rowling has a knack for bringing her characters to life-I often find myself wishing that I could jump into the book to slap Malfoy, Snape, or the Dursleys. The rivalries are great fun. I see trouble brewing between Cho Chang and Ginny Weasley. I wish that I weren't a Muggle and could experience Hogsmeade, Quidditch, Hogwarts, and Diagon Alley.
I hadn't heard of the series until June when my 11 year old brother got the first one. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did, but now I have read all three. I read "HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban from 2 AM to 2 AM the next day. Since I read them all in the span of a month, it is now a shock to have to wait a year for the next one. Thank you Ms. Rowling for giving me an excellent excuse not to read my summer reading books yet.
Mischief Managed

5.0 out of 5 stars A "wizard" experience!, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" is the third in the Harry Potter series and is certainly as good as the others! Harry Potter is a wizard in his third year at Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry. Here start his adventures with his best friends, Ron and Hermione. J.K. Rowling sends the reader into a rollercoaster fantasy ride through the depths of magic and wizardry. All of which is exceedingly believable. Her imagination is amazing, as the wizarding jargon is so believable that I almost found myself referring to my family as 'muggles' and my pets as 'animagis!' A book for people of all ages (not just for kids) and is a must for all people who originally didn't care much for fantasy books. I didn't get caught up in the Star Wars hype, but I am certainly hooked on Harry Potter's adventures! It is definitely hard not to get swept up in Harry's escapades, so why not give it a read?!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The fourth book effortlessly becomes my reason for living., 29 July 1999
By A Customer
If I wanted to compare any of the Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' books with anything, the Harry Potter series would be the undisputed comparison. With the 'good v. evil' element, Rowling manages to fulfill the reader's expectations, desires, and hopes at what will hapen later. The reader almost seems to control the story, as the bullies get thwarted, the teachers get one-in-the-eye, and the heros are dragged along, still coming out on top. Excellent. But Rowling doesn't stop there. She grabs the story at the end, and easily twists it, indicating she was in control the whole time. I'm trying not to ruin the story here, but I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and the second book, as well, so by the time I got to The Prisoner I thought i was ready for the now expected twist at the end. How wrong I was. And, once you know the ending, it makes a brilliant second-read, because you spot all the little clues that you didn't notice before. Enough said. The Prisoner of Azkaban has kept me up an entire night, while I yelled out loud, applauded, and laughed at the great main characters and Rowling's mastery of the plot. Some good jokes as well, even if a 14-year-old isn't strictly allowed to laugh at 'childish' jokes. (street cred', doncha know). Blow that; I love it. Without doubt, the best series on the planet, and i mean it. While the country, and indeed, it seems, the world, holds it's breath as Miss Rowling completes the next four books, I feel in no state to start handing out advice to her. But I think I speak for most when I say keep at it, and don't do anything dangerous. Please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best!!!, 26 Mar 2006
In my humble opinion POA is J.K's best so far. I think it's something to do with the characters, i love Sirius and lupin they make the book and the look into Harry's family history and his parents school life is as interesting and exciting as Harry's own.
Although not as long as the later books this is just as clever and sinister but maintains the magic and richness of the first two. What 4,5 and 6 miss in the way of Hogwarts tradition like the Halloween feast, quidditch or Christmas at Hogwarts book three keeps as well as giving us a more complex and shocking story paving the way for future plots and climaxing the expectations and rumors of the whole story line.
The whole books built on suspense and forces you to think and guess at it's conclusion and when you get to the conclusion it's more shocking and exciting than you ever imagined, and any minor part of the story that you did manage to guess leaves you feeling ridicously smug for the est of the day.
Every one should read Harry potter and even those who didn't get blown away by 1 and 2 will by the POA and will have no choice but to buy the entire box set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry leaves no prisoners in Azkaban!, 26 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Wow! Super! Fantastic! Add suspense, humor, intrigue, and more than a little human relationship--and you have Book 3 in J.K. Rowling's very successful Harry Potter series, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." And whatever it takes to create a mega-success, well, Jo Rowling certainly has it. The series doesn't even think of slowing down!
Back for his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry, Harry is thankful that his summer is over. Again, he's had to endure the miserable conditions of the Dursleys, his foster family. (And this time, Aunt Marge descends on the family which creates even another crisis! Harry breaks a Hogwarts rule--not to use his magic during summer recess--causing Aunt Marge to blow up like a balloon!)
The plot thickens, when Sirius Black escapes from Azkaban. Black was involved with the murder of Harry's Parents and is now eager to extract some revenge on the young Potter for his part in thwarting resident "baddie" Lord Voldemort. At Hogwarts, guards (the Dementors) from Azkaban have been sent to get Black. (And we learn why wizards live in fear of Azkaban!)
The story gets complicated! But in an exciting sense, of course! Harry continues his Quidditch play--certainly a game for all time! And with pals Ron and Hermione (and the rest of the gang we've come to know so well), how can the story fail! Literally millions of readers--one suspects that a great percentage are adult readers! --have become quite intrigued with the Rowling adventures, with the whole literary world (not to mention book sellers!) awaiting for Book 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.K.Rowling sets a new standard in literature..., 25 Sep 1999
Jo. (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Hello world! As an educator with hundreds of "children's" books in my own personal library and a specialist certificate in children's literature I am amazed and excited to have read these books. Ms. Rowling has a gift for creating a world so detailed and real you're sure of its existance and want to be there. Her characters are colorful and full of life AND are not perfect or pristine or mawkish. The plots of Harry Potter's adventures are as complex and intense as modern writers such as Anne Rice and classic authors such as the Bronte sisters or, dare I say, Shakespeare, with humor like that of Twain. She writes and conveys powerful yet subtle concepts with a passion and ferver rarely found in literature even for adults. Her classic and timeless battle of good and evil will stand the test of time revealing these books to be longlasting in theme and idea. Ron, Harry and Hermione are true friends through good and bad times, through trouble (even if they caused the trouble...) and triumph. They probelm solve in an intellegent and thoughtful way not found in stories or the general media. Hermione, especially, shows that a girl can be smart, studious and clever without being a "beauty". A fine example for young girls everywhere. I look forward to reading the next four installments of these magnificiant works of "art literature". You do not merely "read" these literary treasures, you experience and feel them. Cherish and revel your time with these outstanding books and treasure them always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative!, 13 July 1999
By A Customer
When I first started reading this book, my impression was that it could never live up to the first two Ms. Rowling wrote. I thought that it was good, but it was unable to hold my attention, and my mind kept drifting. I believed the book to be a marvelous story, but nothing out of the ordinary for today's more brilliant authors. I even hazarded that Ms. Rowling had lost her touch! I now wish that I could take those words and destroy them! By the time I had read the first two chapters, I was hooked. By the time I had started the fifth chapter, I knew that I would finish the book that day if I had to stay up until four in the morning to do it. (I finished the book, but by 8:00 pm)!
I think that in this book I learned more about the main characters, and more new ones than ever before. (Hermione is still my favorite) I think that Professor Lupin will always be my favorite Hogwarts teacher-I hope he appears in the next book! However, Professor Trelawney was very different-If I were Harry, I would drop Divination!
I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Harry's parents, too. The ending to this book was exceptional, but different from the endings to Ms. Rowling's other stories. In the others, Harry defeats Voldemort, he's a hero, and everyone goes home happy. This ending is very different, but I loved them both.
Many people have asked me why Harry Potter books are appreciated by both adults and children. I think I have an answer. The Harry Potter books are well-written, imaginative, and happy. But there is much more to them. There are some parts that make you want to laugh, cry, scream, and pace all at once. I know-I have. The most important element in Ms. Rowling's work is that in her books you can escape. You can start reading, and you forget about work, school, television, Kosovian bombing, and everything else in the real world. Harry Potter books help give us a way to escape to a world that is magical in more ways than one.
Before I read this book, I knew that I either wanted to be a Senator or an editor of children's books. Now, when faced with the decision of working with imaginative and creative writers like Ms. Rowling, or spending hours in committees going through legal paperwork, there is no contest.
I know that Ms. Rowling majored in French when she was in college, so I will end this review in that way: J'adore tes livres d'Harry Potter, et tu es magnifique. Brava, Joanna, Brava!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent :Best books I ever read, 9 Sep 1999
By A Customer
The latest in the Harry Potter books is the best I have ever read, all you seem to do is want to read on and on you never want it to end. Rowling's ability to keep you reading is exquisite as she allows readers young and old to enter the magical world of Harry and his friends. Having read the book constantly over and over again you develope an understanding of such imagination which has captured such a wide audience. I would often stay up an extra hour to read on and all characters have their own indevidual mystery, my favourites being Albus Dumbledore and Professer Lupin, not forgetting the badies which are easily disliked as all badies should be. The succes of future books is inevitable, and I am glad to hear that the books have been given a flying start in the US, and prospects for a film are buzing to that I am delighted. I often encourage anyone who has not yet discovered the magical world of Harry to read them, and I would advise them to start at the begining to get the most of them although you can read them in any order as each is a very enjoyable experience. I am eagerly awaiting the launching of the next in the series which is released next year (2000), and I will continualy read all the books about Harry and his adventures until then. By Victoria Seville Aged 16

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 7 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Once again, another book cult has started. Roald Dahl, C.S.Lewis, Enid Blyton and now J.K.Rowling. Parents squabble over who gets to read Harry Potter to the children at night, children themselves ( I'm sure a lot like me !!! ) spend hours under the blankets with a torch just to finish the book!!! It all started off when Harry was only a baby. The Dark Lord Voldemort killed Harry's parents then tried to kill Harry, but , for some strange reason, he couldn't. The only mark Harry bears of this is a lightning shaped scar on his forehead. Then, when Harry is ten, coming eleven, he finds out he's a wizard.Now in his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry discovers that Sirius Black, once friend of Harry's parents,escapes from Azkaban, the wizard prison and is looking for Harry!!! Guards from the prison ( Dementors ) are posted all around the school, hoping to capture him. One day, whilst playing quidditch, the cult wizard sport, Harry sees a Dementor, and Harry starts hearing the last moments of Harry's parents lives. But what happens - well everyone needs a little suspense in their life, so I'm not telling you - you'll have to read the book, but trust me.......you'll enjoy it!!!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter Adult)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter Adult) by J. K. Rowling (Audio CD - 3 May 2011)
28.80