5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. My favourite of the series
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is definitely a pivotal point in the series. The first 3 books managed to get by on the novelty of Harry joining the wizarding world, coupled with the fact his life becomes under an ever increasing threat. This hasn't been exhausted, but isn't enough on its own to sustain a forth book or indeed the rest of the series. JK Rowling...
Published on 13 Aug 2005 by Chris Chalk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read
Enjoyed it very much , come late to Harry potter and looking forward to reading the remainder books. Bring them on.
Published 22 months ago by Mary Elizabeth Judd

‹ Previous | 187 88 8993 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars It didn't live up to the hype, but brilliant all the same!, 20 July 2000
By A Customer
Having been looking forward to this all year, since the Prisoner of Azkaban, when the Goblet of Fire finally did arrive amid much spectacle, hype and frenzy I was reluctant to read the giant volume, aware my expectations were not going to be fulfilled. Saying this it was excellent, as all Joanne Rowling's series have been, Harry once again captured my imagination and heart despite the fact his character is no longer as pristine. Harry Potter has landed, crash bang, in the middle of adolescense, and the portrayal of his awkward gawkiness spot on. The plot, as usual, was fantastic, the same magic used at Hogwarts, Rowling has used to keep us quite literally spell-bound! Why havent I given it 5 stars then? For amid its excellence, it is flawed with its length. Had I not read the other Harry Potter books, the first chapters would not have inspired me to continue with the same enthusiasm, and true of the other books the magic and excitement only begins once Harry is at Hogwarts! All in all a brilliant book, with flaws true, but only in comparison to her other masterpieces and the hype with which it was accompanied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit For Rowling, 8 July 2001
By A Customer
Once again J.K. Rowling has delivered a fantastic Harry Potter book, the fourth in the series of seven.
At first the sheer size of the book may put people especially young children off. But its well worth giving it a try. Rowling's wit and humour are fantastic and her gift for entertainment remains evident. This compelling and out of this world story appeals to everyone regardless of age perhaps it is this which has made Rowling a millionairess.
After another trecherous summer at home with the Dursleys Harry returns to Hogwarts faced with a new challenge that of the Triwizard cup. Somehow his name has been entered in the competition and he is faced with having to complete spells and incantations aimed at the ability of a sixteen year old. Impossible, you might say but not for Harry Potter!
Several adventures, some attractive girls and one death later Harry realises that there's something more sinister at work at Hogwarts and its none other than the dreaded Voldemort himself!!!!!!!
An action-packed and absoulutely wonderful novel. Rowling is a genius!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasticly exciting with cliff-hanging suspence verry cool, 18 Oct 2000
By A Customer
i'm thirteen and I just can't wait till the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker please, darker, 23 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I like the Harry Potter books, but I think JK Rowling should make some changes to the next book. The same kind of formula can work for one book, two books, a trilogy - even a fourth, like this one, beause it's still relatively creative and well written. For me, the newness of style is beginning to wear out; she needs to change a few things to keep the interest going over the next three books.
I'm beginning to get irritated by Harry's continual nobility as well - if Rowling can play it down then maybe I'll stop wishing Malfoy & co could win a point or two from time to time - or, to have the same effect, LET them win once in a while.
That said, this book is still great. It has pace, atmosphere, moments of humour and the usual rising dark evil threatening to take control of everyone's lives. I know that a lot of children read this, but I'd like the next few books to be darker because after all, Voldemort's supposed to be evil - let's have some proof, please.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long and not strong enough... sometimes illogical..., 19 Aug 2004
The book is too long, the contents too diluted.
The Dark Mark during the World Cup is a needless twist: what does it give to the story apart from a few (unimportant)lines by Barty Crouch at the end of the book?
Speaking of Barty and of his escape, there is an obvious logical blunder here. As the author tells us, Dementors are blind, but they can see the soul. When a dying woman and a healthy man entered Azkaban, and then 2 healthy men left the prison, the Dementors should have noticed Crouches' trick. The Polyjuice Potion alters appearance ONLY, the soul and well-being stays the same. Not to mention that, since the Dementors are blind, why use the Polyjuice Potion at all? Just walk into the prison and spam 'em if you can!
What do we care about the Crouches anyway when there is a rather central character whose motives we don't know at all: Snape. Why is he trusted by Dumbledore? Under what circumstances did he stop being a Death Eater?
Then there is Sirius Black. What was his purpose in this book? This character has nothing more to say, isn't that obvious?
The list can go on and on.
The Goblet of Fire is much, much weaker than the previous books. I hope also that both the author and the publishers realise eventually that a 'magical' book this size is tiring rather than magical.
So far, out of the 5 Harry Potter books,the best one is The Prisoner of Azkaban, although the 1st and the 2nd book were interesting too.

1.0 out of 5 stars My least favorite of the Potter novels. The plothole killed it for me., 17 Oct 2007
Without a doubt my least favorite of the series. I got into Potter back when only the first three books were out, and quite some time before this book came out, and I was all psyched for it. Then I read it, all 700+ pages of it. While I found it engrossing, it certainly wasn't as good as AZKABAN.

Actually, Amazon ruined the book for me. I was online reading reviews here after I finished the book (this was back in 2000), and one of the reviews pointed out the plothole that why didn't Mad Eye Moody just make a portkey out of anything, rather than make Harry go through all the trouble with the Triwizard Tournament, and I really didn't have any answer to that. So after I finished the book, I didn't read it again for seven years, because this plothole took out the whole point of the book.

When I reread all six books in preparation for DEATHLY HALLOWS this summer (which I finished them all with a week to spare before Hallow's release date), I picked this up again. It had been a long time since I read it, and the plothole always turned me off so much whenever I did reread the Potter books I never could bring myself to read this one.

Going through it a second time, in context with the rest of the series, this is definitely when Potter got into darker territory. But Potter was always dark anyway, and while this is always thought of as the turning point in the series as far as darkness goes, AZKABAN is pretty dark too.

Potter has been enrolled in the Triwizard Tournament, a dangerous tournament that you must be 17 to enter. Potter is entered without his consent, and much too young. Ultimately the three events they must go thru are dangerous and at the end of the third we see Voldemort's plot unmasked.

As far as the plot hole, I've read several different theories on why Voldemort's agent wouldn't have used the portkey before then. One possible explanation, which I wish Rowling would have used, was you can't use portkey within the grounds of Hogwarts, but under this especial circumstance the use of portkeys was allowed at the end of the tournament. Another issue is Barty Crouch Jr. He must truly want to serve Voldemort to do what he did. Still, it would be a lot of work to drink polyjuice potion every hour for a school year straight.

We get the first real death in the series (at least, a character we have come to know and not offscreen or backstory deaths). Poignant, but the death appears more to be included so she can move the series into darker territory than any natural artistic progression.

There are some great scenes in this one, especially the Quidditch World Cup, and introduction of other international schools (a thing we have not yet seen - so far we only know of magic in Britain). Rowling also clearly lays more foundation to Ron and Hermione as a couple, a plotline that would not find full resolution until Book 7. Still, those who always thought Harry and Hermione should end up together, read this book more closely. It's pretty obvious from Book 4 on Ron and Hermione would end up together. There's a lot of sexual tension in the air between those two. Harry, on the other hand, is quite up in the air at this point, though we know in Book 7 who he ends up with.

While it is my least favorite of the Potter books, it's still an entertaining read. This is clearly the book where Rowling moves beyond children as a primary audience and bringing more complexity and maturity to the series, which is the reason why as the books progress they are more adult oriented than the early volumes.

Still, I find myself in the minority. I know a lot of people who love GOBLET. There are certainly some great scenes and memorable passages throughout the book. I just wish Rowling would have fixed the plothole better (and it wouldn't be that hard to fix).

These are my order of Potter books by preference:
Deathly Hallows
Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Philosopher's Stone/Chamber of Secrets (I rank them both the same)
Half-Blood Prince
Goblet of Fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY UNPUTDOWNABLE, 19 July 2000
By A Customer
In common with a lot of your reviewers, I am in my mid-30's and initially started off with Harry Potter when reading The Philosophers Stone to my seven year old son at bedtime. As a family, we soon became gripped with these stories and eagerly awaited delivery of The Goblet Of Fire. I finished the book within a few days, reading every spare moment and felt devastated when I had finished, that there was no more to read. As an avid reader since childhood, getting through 3-4 books a week sometimes, I can truthfully say that I could NOT put this book down, not only because it was fantastic but also because my husband was lurking, waiting for me to loosen my grip on it! There are notably few occasions when I can say an adult novel has equally gripped me and certainly no childrens novels since Narnia.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best!, 16 Jun 2001
By A Customer
OK. I have to admit Harry Potter is pretty good. I first started reading it 3 years ago because our teachers were reading it to us, but they never got past the third chapter. So I read them for myself, I was entranced, but unlike some books I have read you can't really read it that many times, and there's too much of a gap imbetween when they are published. I heard the 5th books coming out in November, A YEAR AND A HALF: Give me a break. There are millions of books better than Harry. Artemis Fowl for one, despite what everyone says, and all of Tamora Pierce's books are a million times better. Dobtless I will think differently when the next comes out, but even then only for a while. CAN EVERYONE I KNOW STOP READING IT! AND START READING BETTER BOOKS AND TALK ABOUT THEM!
Appalled, bookworm.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Harry Potter yet!, 8 July 2000
"matthewmail" (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Here in the US we were terrifeid it would be retitled Harry Potter and the Really Hot Cup, but...
This book is the fourth in the Harry Potter series. It is easily the best of the lot. However, it is probably too intense for the younger readers that have enjoyed the earlier books. I would not recommend it for any child under the age of ten. Older children are in for a genuine treat. It is well paced, with the mixture of adventure, suspense and whimsy that characterized the earlier books. The size of the book, 734 pages, is less of a problem than might be expected. Nothing is wasted in this book, there is no literary fat. The size is actually nice as it simply means less time spent between finishing this book and waiting for the next one to be published...

5.0 out of 5 stars JKR's Best Book Yet!!, 1 May 2005
By A Customer
JKR has successfully glued so many readers to the pages of her wonderful books, this one being no exception. "Goblet of Fire" is by far the best one of the series (as of now...we've still got 2 to look forward to) and I strongly reccomend it to anyone who is a fan of the Harry Potter series.
I love to read all kinds of books by many different authors, but this is ultimately my favorite book without a doubt!! The excitment and the creative development of Harry's magical world is yet to be rivaled. JKR has done an excellent job with this GoF, and I'm eagerly awaiting the movie release this November. I can only hope that it can live up to her standards.

‹ Previous | 187 88 8993 | Next ›

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (Audio CD - 4 July 2011)
Used & New from: £280.00