5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. My favourite of the series
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is definitely a pivotal point in the series. The first 3 books managed to get by on the novelty of Harry joining the wizarding world, coupled with the fact his life becomes under an ever increasing threat. This hasn't been exhausted, but isn't enough on its own to sustain a forth book or indeed the rest of the series. JK Rowling...
Published on 13 Aug 2005 by Chris Chalk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price but book is damaged
I bought this book for a really good price for a hardback BUT when the package arrived it came in no dust jacket and had spillage and pen marks on the spine and the ends were badly scuffed. I would like to think the book was 'acceptable' but they labelled it 'very good' which it wasn't. However, I got it for a very cheap price so I guess it's okay just to read.
Published 3 months ago by mrs deborah thurston

‹ Previous | 1 2 390 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Its imaginative content captures your imagination instantly, 30 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire is by far the best Harry Potter book so far. Readers will be instantly captivated by the detailed and gripping contents. The book takes you from happy times to dark and terrifying moments and will have readers on the edge of their chairs. You get to meet new characters but also delve deeper into the lives of those characters already well known. This is a fantastic book and i promise you will not be able to put it down until you have finished it. This book is the only book that has ever brought me to tears, had me gasp out loud and beam with joy all in a matter of chapters.As soon as you enter the first paragraph you are instantly in Privet Drive with Harry then by the next chapter you are in The Burrow with Ron and the rest of the Weasley family. I can garantee that its imaginative contents will capture your imagination instantly and transport you to Hogwarts. This is an absolutely amazing book which to me doesn't seem a book but more like an opening into the lives of witches, wizards and giants! Live in this world where there are dragons, underground banks and of course a special man called Albus Dumbledore. If you haven't read this book yet you simply must it will change your views and thought on lifes endless possibilities forever.This review was written by Fiona Mangion aged 14. You can e-mail her at Malteaser87@Hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything a grate book should be., 14 Nov 2005
Nadia "Fleet UK" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is one of my favourites of the series. In fact, it’s a toss up between this and Order Of The Phoenix. I think it is also written in an older and more mature style, which is fitting as Harry has aged with every book. I voted for this book in the BBC’s Big Read, because I felt it had all the elements that make up a truly wonderful book. It was extremely dark and atmospheric, but there was also humour, mystery, horror, (I was terrified during Voldemort’s reincarnation) plenty of imagination, and above all a hero that you could really identify with and feel for. Goblet Of Fire also has the bonus of being impossible to put down, and having an ingeniously worked plot with two fantastic twists that I never saw coming. The pacing is just right. The darker, more sinister scenes and the more light-hearted moments paced evenly throughout the book. Because the book is almost exclusively from Harry’s point of view, JK Rowling allows you to really get inside his head, to know his every thought and feeling, and to suffer along with him. I felt so sorry for him during his terrible ordeal in the graveyard. It was not to be the last time.
To my mind, this book has everything that makes up a classic, and I have no doubt the Harry Potter series will earn that title. JK Rowling certainly deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 28 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Finally the long awaited book four - I discovered the Harry Potter books quite late - Book three had just been released in paperback. Even so - I read the first 3 books in 2 days, and the wait for book four (around 6 months) was pure torture! I can only imagine how bad it must have been for those of you who had been fans from day one.
It was worth the wait - I can still remember catching my breath as I saw the size of this book compared to the others, I guessed it could only mean something special- I wasn't wrong!
This book had everything - more humour & innuendo than ever before (Uranus - classic!), more suspense, intrigue, romance - and the end had me bawling my eyes out.
I don't want to give too much away in case you haven't had the chance to read it yet (if you haven't, don't put it off any longer - buy it now, you won't be disappointed!) but yet again the plot was darker, more unexpected and exciting than ever.
I haven't been able to put a single one of the books down, and this was no exception - I didn't even take a break to eat!
This book for me has provoked many questions (i.e. why does Dumbledore look triumphant at the knowledge that Voldemort has regained his full powers). I feel sure that at least some of the answers will appear in the next book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words for Ms Rowling - THANK YOU!!!!!!, 4 Nov 2000
By A Customer
I am a 13 year old girl and I seriously belive that these are the best books ever written. I know heaps of people that hated to read but after Harry, the couldn't stop! For as long as I can remember, I have loved to read and these books have made me like it even more! As I have been reading them since May of this year (2000) and as soon as I finish one book, I pick up another. I have read the 3rd book 11 times and thats not a lie!!
I love the little twists in them and how you have to read every sentance or you'll miss something. For example, you hear about Sirius in the first book and then you meet him in the third. I love the names! (I discovered that Sirius is ancient Greek for dog and is also a constelation resembling a dog. And Dumbledore is Old English for 'Bumblebee'.)
I believe that 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' is the best of the lot. I like it because it's slightly darker and there is more going on and more to pay attentsion to. This book is fabulous although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 9, it could be very frightning for them. Wait untill your a little older!!!
These books are a phenomenom. Don't deprive anyone from them. They will miss out on the best time of their life.
Thank you Ms. Rowling for sharing your imagination with the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful word play, 24 July 2000
By A Customer
OK, I admit it - I'm older than 13, by about 30 years - and I find the Harry Potter stories funny, moving, exciting and witty. Yes, The Goblet of Fire is a long book, and maybe the Quidditch World Cup is a bit of a diversion, but it introduces a lot of the main players in this story and provides some fantastical echoes of the recent European Championships. I love the names that J.K.Rowling conjures up: Durmstrang, a nice Spoonerism of "Sturm und Drang", the Blast-Ended Skrewt - a double-ended danger, the larger than life Madame Maxime, the Malfoy heavies Crabbe and Goyle. Even the magic incantantions (watch out for curses all you stage magicians!) have an authority which keeps you from reading them out loud, especially if you've got a wand in your hand. And J.K. did not miss an opportunity to highlight the hazards caused by intrusions by the tabloid press. How did they stop everyone (except one person) getting hold of the manuscript until publishing date? I'm pleased they did, and I'm not going to reveal the ending. Most enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for long car journeys, 21 Aug 2001
By A Customer
We took this on holiday with us. We travelled from Aberdeen to Norfolk with hardly any complaints from either children or adults. Stephen fry kept us all rapt by his superb story telling. It is wonderful hearing the voices he has for all the different characters. We now have all four of these books on audio and they have been worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great little touches, 9 Jun 2001
By A Customer
There were all sorts of little things that made me love this book. I work in a bookshop and on the day it came out we, like many other places had "Harry Potter Day". The games and costumes, however were not as good or as amusing as the sight of people of all ages and backgrounds poring over the book, unable even to take a break from reading for long enough to buy it and go home! I think we sold over 450 copies in one day? quite a stunning amount anyway.
The reason I am writing this was to point out a lot of the little touches that turn the books from great adventure stories into classics. To begin, though, this book is great. I would not agree that it is "too long" and think the criticisms about JK Rowling moving away from her "target audience" are daft. Would these same people cristicise The Lord Of The Rings for not being for the same "target audience" as The Hobit?! Why do we have to think about classic books in terms of "target audiences"? Even The Chronicles of Narnia dealt with gradually more adult themes throughout the books, ending with the death of all the main characters!
Little things that I really enjoyed in this paticular book were...
1. The ongoing love/hate relationship between Ron and Hermione, especially Ron's phrase "Hey Hermione...you're a girl..."
2. Harry and Ron's way of talking about the magical world's equivalent of "gear" i.e the Firebolt's aerodynamic perfection-this is so like some of my best friends that I laughed out loud.
3. The cartoonish world of the Dursleys has been dismissed as "cartoonish" but hey, cartoons are fun, and these episodes of the book really are funny. ("We didn't give it to him because he's a Muggle, we gave it to him because he's a great bullying git!") Without this humour, these scenes could be really quite dreary and void of hope, but we see things through Harry's eyes, and his defence against the Dursleys is to laugh at them.
4. The complex circle of relationships of Harry's parents' friends that emerges mainly in Azkaban, but develops further in this book.
5. Hermione's championing of the house-elves. I don't think it detracts from the plot. I also love the scene in which Winky becomes an alcoholic-very funny.
6. Hagrid's crush, arguement with and later friendship with Madame Malkin.
7. The whole Rita Skeeter thing-a nice satire.
8. One of my favourite scenes is when Harry goes to see Dumbledore and falls into the Pensive. Neville's background is something that most readers, like Harry and the others, would have taken for granted. Good reading.
9. The brilliant ending, of course. Can't wait to see that as a film, if it's well made. It seems silly to see the death of Cedric as a "cop-out"-if anything, the tension between Harry and Cedric over Cho throws Harry's feelings over the death into sharper relief. 10. However probably the thing that made me laugh most in the whole book was the fact that England didn't even qualify for the Quidditch World Cup but "went out to Transylvania in the first round. Bloody embarassing!".
Excellent entertainment, combined with deeper issues. Full marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the four...Harrys world gets darker, 10 Dec 2001
Over the space of four books JK Rowlng has managed to create something almost as magical as the Weasly twins magic custard creams...she has created a secret world cleverly hidden behind ours, and one which, though fantastical, is utterly believable! The key characters from previous books are all developed furter and the plot is as exciting and twisting as the previous novels but the key here is the trick that film makers like Quentin Tarantino and Woody Allen have mastered the interest in the banality of everyday life. By concentrating on sub-plots such as Hermione's concern for the plight of house elves, the internal politics of the Ministry of Magic or Hagrids personal secret while doing little to further the main plot add depth to the world it all takes place in.
Bascaly you should already have read them all and if you have make sure everyone you know does...this is 1 time when the majority is right!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down., 9 Jan 2002
By A Customer
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire promised to be an adventure right from the very first line. Unfortunately the adventure is more scattered than in the other books and the normal items in the other three books were lost in this one. However, turning a page in this book was an adventure in itself as every page was so exciting. I found myself reading after lights out to finish a chapter, then couldn`t stop myself reading the next. And the next. And (You guessed it) the next. Not a book for people to read if you prefer to look at the pictures, rather than read the book, as it contains none. You can`t read this one, without reading the others, but, if you`re already hooked on the other three books, you`re going to LOVE this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever supression of whingeing during long car journeys., 24 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This kept two children enthralled and two adults entertained on a journey from Wales to Scotland and back even though the boys and I had already read it. Anything that suppresses the 'Are we there yet' enquiries from the kids and all other whingeing and squabbling in the back of the car without boring me to desperation fully deserves a five star rating.
It is excellently read and well characterised. Yes, it is expensive, but will be used repeatedly and passed round to other desperate parents so is good overall value.

‹ Previous | 1 2 390 | Next ›

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (Audio CD - 4 July 2011)
43.40