5.0 out of 5 stars Great read
I very much enjoyed this book. Individuals make up a country. Reading about Kamin's family put faces to the ordinary people of Iran.
Published 19 months ago by Patty

1.0 out of 5 stars unimpressive
Published 8 months ago by raincatsgalore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Iran before and after, 24 Jan 2013
william jones (Haqrrogate North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Paperback)
I was fascinated by this book but at the same time I found it extremely difficult to keep up with the family names.I have visited Teheran several times also Istphan and Shiraz,mostly on business,but I loved the Country and with thre background of Mountains in Teheran it was a beautiful place.I know several Iranian people who now live in nEurope but still return to Iran on annual visits and who are still in contact with other Iranians who now live in USA.I always remember how courteous and easy people were to converse with.This comes out in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 7 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. For people wanting to know about the true Iran and its people, you must read this book. In my opinion I feel this book could be made in to a film. It tells the story of a wonderful family that were separated by the events that took place following the revolution in Iran. Every time I look at a Cypress tree it reminds me of the Mohammadi family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegiac and uplifting - how love and families continue the thread of life, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Hardcover)
This book is beautiful - painfully so. It follows an extended Iranian family through the modernisation of Iran under Reza Shah, then the Revolution on 1979, then a story of exile and return up until the present day. Whilst politics may have shaped the narrative, what you take away form this book are the people - their warmth, their laughter and their pain. You don't need to be versed in Middle Easter politics to read this book. If you enjoy books where you are transported into a whole world complete with grandparents, babies, endless aunts and uncles and their stories, then this is a book for you. The Cypress Tree is a delight to read but is also an important book in voicing the story of the generation of Iranians who have moved abroad due to the politics at home. I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Hardcover)
Two things stand out most about this book - the wonderful hardback cover design and the powerful, evocative language used.

Kamin Mohammadi's description of family life in pre-revolutionary Iran is full of love and is heart-warming. It's intimate and I sometimes even felt as if I was a spectator in the room. Mixed with that are evocative descriptions of Iran, her landscapes, environment, people and food especially. It's great, although - depending on personal taste - it can become slightly overblown (one too many "fields of gold" cited for example!).

The revolution is the turning point, and going back to the intimacy of this book, the reader can feel the pity and powerlessness as a country is turned on its head and the family's previous harmony is broken. There's tragedy here - families displaced, the impact of war, but also redemption as new lives are started in the UK, and the family spreads to other countries and builds new links with Iran. I liked it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have longed for a book like this., 5 Oct 2011
Nassim Assefi (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Hardcover)
As an Iranian-American novelist who was born and raised in the States, I have longed for a book that accurately portrays the Iran that I know, a complex country that is difficult to explain to Westerners. Too many English-language books about Iran make the country sound one-sided, focusing on the repressive nature of the Islamic government, feeding stereotypes about Iranians as hostage-taking, martyr-loving extremist out of touch with reality. Kamin Mohammadi's portrait of Iran is intricate and beautifully crafted, like the tiles of a 16th Century Isfahani mosque, and yet uncompromisingly honest like her charismatic grandmother during her last days. She covers seminal periods in Iran's modern history through the rich narratives of her large, effervescent family. Iran becomes a character in her book, beloved and appreciated like a close relative, but also driving her crazy at times and capable of causing anguish. The Cypress Tree is full of sensuous details--roses and spices, subtle glances and carefully planned costumes--and is rich in humor and heartbreak. Mohammadi's painful story of exile and uplifting reconciliation with her past will be familiar and healing to other immigrants and refugees. Modern day-Iran is isolated and maligned these days, but Kamin Mohammadi's sweeping perspective make us realize that, like the cypress tree "that has grown for thousands of years and weathered all the storms of Iran's changeable history, [Iranians] have learned to bend to the prevailing winds, but we are not broken." I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, heartwarming and heartwrenching, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written book, full of interesting tales of childhood and growing up in a culture and setting very different to my own.

Absolutely loved it, and would recommend to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beautiful Bending Cypress Tree, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Hardcover)
This book is deeply moving. Kamin generously shares with her readers the warm and kind family she grew up with, the experiences of life pre and post revolutionary Iran and beautifully explains the events in her own life intertwined with the web of history, politics and the changing moods inside and outside Iran. I don't know whether this book has touched me because I have experienced first hand the same set of events or because I am lucky enough to know the Mohammadi family. Either way, this is a poignant read.

1.0 out of 5 stars unimpressive, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Kindle Edition)
I looked forward to reading this book at first, hoping it would give me a greater insight into the everyday lives of people in Iran today. It did nothing of the kind and I found myself actively disliking it. The author details a life of extraordinary privilege under the Shah, and the shock of subsequent exile to this country,but it reminded me of narratives I had read in the past by White Russian exiles bemoaning the loss of their pre-revolution lives of wealth, luxury and high status. If you are hoping to find any enlightenment in this book concerning Iran today, you are wasting your time. It is a memoir to a life-style the author was fortunate enough to enjoy as a child with little or no understanding of the reasons why it could not last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Cypress Tree (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book and was pleased to find that Persian/Iranian women are as proud,strong and independent minded as I always imagined they were. The author is obviously passionate about her country and paints a very vibrant and beautiful picture of the country, people and culture whilst giving an accurate account of the political trauma's the country and it's people have suffered over time.
It also gives the reader an insight into the realities of being a political refugee in Britain and hopefully a better understanding of the difficulties people face when they are forced to leave their homeland and lose their sense of belonging and identity.
A well written book on a fascinating topic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Cypress Tree
The Cypress Tree by Kamin Mohammadi (Paperback - 2 Aug 2012)
7.19