Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 August 2011
This book - a collection of crowd wisdom (and contradictions to that wisdom) from the contributors to the Mumsnet site. A highly recommended read for new (and not so new) parents seeking a balanced, unpatronising summary of parenting 'rules'. In fact it's the opposite of rules most of the time: you tend to see several opinions summarised so that you can see for yourself which of several options might work for you. The writing style is excellent and the tone one of an intelligent friend sharing their knowledge and experience.
I pre-ordered this from Amazon after reading selected extracts featured in the Sunday Times and have just got around to reviewing this essential tome. It sits on the bookshelf and is dusted down on a regular basis to help me cope with my son who started school in September 2011 and the other odd things about being a parent. It's a myriad of condensed common sense and wisdom and I never feel as though I'm being preached at, which is pretty much the case with some of the parenting books out there - in my opinion the American ones are the worst! I hugely prefer flicking through it than going onto the site - not that there's anything wrong with Mumsnet, far from it, but I sometimes feel as though I have to wade through a lot of padding before I get to the nub of the problem.

It's all useful stuff and will continue to be as my son grows. Some bits made me laugh out loud and I'm sure it's a must for the majority of parents who are trying to remain sane in this ever-confusing world!
on 19 August 2011
Perfect book for any parent new or not. Can make you realize you're not the only one with a kid who wont put clothes on or who never want to shower! Amusing, easy to read and laugh out loud!!
on 10 February 2013
I found Mumsnet in 2003, desperately looking for some decent unbiased advice. This book neatly and clearly summarizes with a clear objective voice all the input of thousands of mums on core subjects as random as carparking spaces, birthday parties but mostly getting over yourself and not turning into the madster mum in the school playground!
on 23 June 2011
So many times I have heard that Mumsnet mums are very militant and contraversial, and hugely opinionated.
This is simply not true. All mums are opinionated, as well we should be - however - the opinions are all varying. It's not a rule book as such, where you think "what will happen if I break the rules". The rules are very over-arching such as "You don't HAVE to have a naughty step, but the odd star chart never killed anybody".
So - basically they're saying "here's what other mums found helped them, apply it to yourselves if you wish, but don't worry about it if you don't - and do whatever makes you feel happy and confident".
Overall it's a great read full of common sense and humour.
Great stuff.
(And i haven't even finished it yet!!!)
on 20 June 2011
The Mumsnet Rules
I have really enjoyed reading this book - it's incredibly easy to read, very addictive, you can dip in and out of different sections and it had me convulsed with empathetic laughter on numerous occasions! Much of it relates to parenting of babies/toddlers/under 10s, with some smatterings for dealing with older children. I am now hoping that Mumsnet will produce the next version focussed on parenting of 10-15/16 year olds - my girls are 11 and 12 and I was hoping for a bit more guidance / reassurance on issues that dominate the preteens/early teens. Highly recommend this for all parents however as so much of it rings true.
on 7 July 2011
Daughter (aged 8) came across me chuckling reading this while the spaghetti burnt in the kitchen, and read over my shoulder the page on getting your children to do jobs around the house and not grow into 11 year olds whose parents still spoon food into their mouths and wipe their behinds "oh that's why you've been mean to us all day"!! (Yes, the horrible meanness of getting them to carry their plates through after dinner and put their dirty clothes in the laundry basket). Later she pointed it out to her dad - "That's the book that gets nasty parents to be mean to their nice children". mwa-hahaha

Yes, it is the book that reminds tired parents of all their forgotten resolutions about child-rearing.

The only thing stopping it getting the full 5 stars was the slight assumption that you were somehow choosing domestic drudgery if you weren't going back to work, but that might have just been my paranoid reading of it.

Lively, useful and very amusing antidote to parenting books.
on 8 October 2012
This book is the product of the combined wit and wisdom of many mumsnetters, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It offers advice and comments based on people's experiences of parenthood, and is down-to-earth, understanding, informative and funny. It's not a manual of how to be a perfect parent - it's a manual of how to be a real parent.
on 14 June 2011
I too have cried laughing while reading this book but have also insisted that my husband read it too.

It is quite simply a brilliant essential read.

I would urge any parent bewildered by the array of parenting books to buy this.
on 24 August 2011
I especially love the haiku(s) about small furry animals - the guinea pig one is very funny. Plus lots of sound, sensible advice and common sense (such a rarity). A friend on the bedside table, that I turn to regularly.