5.0 out of 5 stars The Rain Tree by Mirabel Osler
Published on 29 May 2011 by David Reid

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it. Plenty to enjoy and think about
Loved it. Plenty to enjoy and think about.
Published 5 months ago by christina green

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rain Tree by Mirabel Osler, 29 May 2011
This review is from: The Rain Tree (Hardcover)
This is a very special book by clearly, a very special woman. Mirabel Osler has lived in many countries around the world from Greece under the junta to Thailand where she adopted a baby daughter. She has written with humour, affection and tenderness, I came to know and love her family who seemed to adjust to the different worlds they moved in with grace. This writing is a delight in a world where now all is about punchiness and speed. Her world is one where letters were still written, posted and delivered within a day. Letters of love and passion. Everyone I am sure will love this look into a fascinating life. A perfect gift, but buy a copy for yourself at the same time!

5.0 out of 5 stars A glorious read..., 19 May 2011
This review is from: The Rain Tree (Hardcover)
..although I have not finished it yet. Perversely I read the last chapters first and found them very moving, insightful and, in a way, celebratory. I hope I have the same commonsense, dignity and calmness when I reach the author's age. I doubt I will have her wisdom and certainly not her experiences. The account of the adjustments that age requires are thoughtful, sensitive and moving - I am just starting the same process and was moved by her account. We also share views on coffins!

I thoroughly enjoyed Mirabel Osler's A Spoon with Every Course. This is very different but has the same elegance and openness of style and charm. You can almost her her voice. So I began with the "present" but I go back now to the beginning and Ford Madox Ford and Stella Bowen and her family life. Can't wait.

I am loving it. I think most readers will and I urge you to try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a life, 10 July 2013
This review is from: The Rain Tree (Paperback)
This memoir is un put downable. It is bitter-sweet; the author has had such amazing life experiences, living and travelling in Thailand, France and Greece, but this book is mostly about life with her family in Thailand and she has made describing the food, plants and people into an art form. Reading this is almost as good as eating the food she describes. Unique and leaving the reader wanting more.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book and the way it was written, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Rain Tree (Paperback)
This took me back to so many friends who had lived abroad. Such a different world now and the great friendships forged over the years. I particularly enjoyed the way all the family were linked together over the generations and always the garden in the background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely-pure escapism, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Rain Tree (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book for its travels into other countries and beautiful prose. Great one for the beach it not read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Osler book, 29 Jan. 2015
Absolutely lovely! Glad I found it.Very good condition and delivery

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it. Plenty to enjoy and think about, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Rain Tree (Paperback)
Loved it. Plenty to enjoy and think about.

The Rain Tree
The Rain Tree by Mirabel Osler (Paperback - 10 May 2012)