5.0 out of 5 stars The Morville Year
This isn't quite such a 'classic' as The Morville Hours but, nevertheless, it is a beautifully written and totally absorbing book. I would highly recommend it.
Published on 4 May 2011 by lizziebee

3.0 out of 5 stars the Morville year
I found this somewhat disappointing after loving the Morville Hours. seemed like a re-hash of the previous book with some added photographs.
Published 11 months ago by Gillian Weigel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Morville Year, 4 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars The Morville Year, 28 April 2011
Ms. J. K. Pollitt (Worcestershire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Morville Year (Hardcover)
This book is a joy. It comprises articles written by Katherine Swift when she was the gardening correspondent for the Times. I read a lot of these at the time but no where near all of them so it is lovely to have them gathered together to read again. It is an easy bedtime read. I read one or two or even three articles at a time. The book has all the best of each month giving Katherine's insight into so much more than gardening and involving so much research.
I look forward to her next book. I also encourage readers to visit her lovely atmospheric garden at the Dower House to bring the contents even more alive. Afternoon tea with freshly baked scones, home made jam and cream is not to missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Morville Hours, 30 April 2012
This review is from: The Morville Year (Hardcover)
A fascinating read. Written in an interesting style with vivid descriptions that take the reader into the text. This book would be enjoyed by those who enjoy history and gardening! The book arrived promptly - thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Morville Year (Hardcover)
A lovely book that builds upon her previous book, The Morville Hours. It was well written, insightful and full of little tidbits of gardening info and folklore. Throughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly delightful, 5 Jan 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Morville Year (Paperback)
I first came across Katherine Swift when I was given The Morville Hours to read by my mother. I confess that although parts of it were really beautiful, it didn't really grip me. I finished it in several sittings, dipping in and out of it, but never getting truly hooked.

Over this Christmas I wanted something to read that was simple, and calming and non taxing. I picked up The Morville Year, thinking it would be just the sort of thing I could dip in and out of. I was utterly entranced by it, and read the whole thing in a day. I don't know if it's that I am in a different place as a person, and am ready to read something like this now, or that this volume is different from the other book. Probably it's a mix of both. This is a collection of columns that Swift wrote for a newspaper during her four years as their garden columnist. I enjoyed the concise way she tackles the topics she addresses here. I enjoyed the way she connects what she reads and sees with the life of her garden. I just enjoyed everything about this so much more than the previous volume. It was a real delight to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Story and compulsive read, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Morville Year (Hardcover)
Thank you Katherine for a most enjoyable read, and wonderful tips on gardening. For a nearly retired parish priest a good read in the context of work done in the remains of the day. Orare est laborare et laborare est orare!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you're expecting, 16 May 2014
This review is from: The Morville Year (Paperback)
A wonderful read, this book tells the story of a garden and so much more. A family history, rural geography, geology, myths and legends. It inspires you to make something of any bit of ground you may have access to and see what you can create.

5.0 out of 5 stars complements the Morville Hours, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Morville Year (Paperback)
Fascinating and easy reading with just enough facts mixed with anecdotes. I've read both twice and would reach for them if I needed books to take away somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gardener's Companion, 1 Nov 2013
J. I. Wilkins (Kent / United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Morville Year (Kindle Edition)
This is the ideal gift for anyone who loves to garden. The perfect reference book for each season, beautifully written with many interesting and ,to me, previously unknown facts eg. Queen Olga's snowdrop. I will love it even more. Thank you Katherine!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book is a a total delight, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Morville Year (Paperback)
An absolutely beautifully written book. i have already ordered three more copies to give to my friends who are garden lovers. We visited Katherine's garden and it was as charming as you would expect from reading the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Morville Year
The Morville Year by Katherine Swift (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)
6.50