Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2011
Raymond Blanc gives clear instructions with a beautiful colour photograph of each recipe. He anticipates any queries with footnote tips on how to deal with them. Each recipe is a clear step by step guide as in his recent Kitchen Secrets TV programme. The recipes are for special occasions or those who like to produce really good meals at home. I am an experienced cook but found much to learn here. It is not a basic cook book for which there is the excellent Delia. A valued buy.
on 29 March 2011
When it arrived I opened it and before I knew it I found myself absorbed and reading from cover to cover. Beautiful photos and well laid out, the text is informative. The writing is personal and opinionated but that's why you bought the book. You might not agree with it all but he is well qualified to have his opinions and preferences. I would recommend this book as a good read. There are recipes of course and they are good but I enjoyed reading between the recipes more. Great emphasis on seasonal food.
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2011
I watched the first television series of Kitchen Secrets with great enjoyment. It was extremely frustrating to discover there was no book to go with the series. The second series has just started, continuing where the last one left off, but with the bonus that the book Kitchen Secrets is now available.

I have always been a fan of Raymond Blanc and have especially enjoyed this TV series because it gets back to what I believe cooking programmes should be about - the food! The book is a complete accompaniment to the series. Each recipe is reproduced with clear instructions as well as guidance notes to answer those questions you often find unanswered in a recipe. Needless to say the photography of the dishes is stunning.

What I like so much about Kitchen Secrets is that most of the recipes are within my skill range (I am just a keen amateur who enjoys good food) and this book enables me to create some great dishes. I can't wait to impress friends and family when I make the Chocolate Delice!

If you don't buy any other cooking book this year it won't matter if you have got Kitchen Secrets.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2011
Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant! This is the Rolls Royce of cook books and from start to finish it's packed with mouth watering recipes the whole family will love. The cherry clafoutis is sublime. The 5 hour lamb,so simple in execution, is unbelievable good. The slow cooked marinaded pork belly is so stunning I ended up making it 4 times in one week and the smoked salmon omelette is now the breakfast of choice for my fussy 16 year old. The fact that you can follow the TV series and see Raymond giggle hysterically as he makes these recipes adds to the experience and I don't know about 'every house having and Adam' but every cook should have this book.
on 31 March 2011
This book takes you up another level of cooking with total ease.
The recipes are very easy to follow helped by the secrets and tips given and so far everything has looked as it does in the book.
The Lemon Cake is a dream, the Chicken with morels sublime and the strawberry crumble is a fabulous lighter version of my sons favourite pudding.
Definitely taken number 1 spot on my list of cookery books.
on 7 February 2011
This is a recipe book like no other. The most complicated things are simply explained and even my very first recipe was a huge success.
The book gives the answer to so many questions it is invaluable; especially to a self-taught cook like me.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2013
I love Raymond Blanc, this book is great, full of easy to follow & understand recipes, I like also that he has added some of his mum's recipes too, he's so fun & entertaining to watch & very knowledgeable I have watched the series that accompanies this book, that is great too, so invest in this book you won't be disappointed.
on 28 February 2011
Back in 1994, Raymond Blanc did a series for the BBC called Blanc Mange, the accompanying book became my cooking Bible ever since. Now he's back with Kitchen Secrets. This is a glorious book stuffed with delicious recipes and detailed advice on how to follow them. The photographs and layout are also beautiful. This will be used just as much as Blanc Mange!
on 6 March 2011
Really loved the tv series and been looking forward to a book with the recipes. Although some of the recipes are in depth, it is the book I have been waiting for to advance my cooking ability. Throughout the book each recipe has a difficulty rating so the book is aimed at all levels of cooks. The only down side to the book I have found is trying to track down some of the special equipment used like the 20 gram moulds for the caramel centre for the chocolate fondant, or the 24 X 14cm rectangular frame for the chocolate delice recipe. Otherwise a great book.
on 16 May 2011
Brilliant book, good selection of recipies from quick and easy to trying your hand at artisan style food. All rated so you know what your letting yourself in for before you embark on cooking.

Especially like the start of each chapter where basics are covered to improve your success, such as when to take lamb out of the oven for different gradings of pink. Heating your oven 20 degress higher for cakes as when you open the door that extra heat will be lost. Once in the oven you drop the temp. down to stated recipe temperature and many more tips also covered within the recipe to help you out when things go wrong.