5.0 out of 5 stars One man's story of compassion and forgiveness
Published on 18 Feb 2011 by Xara J

3.0 out of 5 stars dragged out
the author has lived an incredibly traumatic life .
i liked the book but it was too dragged out so my attention drifted.
Published 14 months ago by morgan1

5.0 out of 5 stars One man's story of compassion and forgiveness, 18 Feb 2011
Before reading this book i knew little of the issues for Palestinians and their Israeli neighbours. This book, written as an individuals detailed experience of growing up in the Gaza strip, from his childhood in the Jabalia Refugee Camp in the 1950's doing whatever he could to help his family put food on the table, through his adult life developing a successful career as a doctor working to help women receive fertility treatment and care on both sides of the Palestinian/Israeli borders, and up until the fateful day in 2009 when three of his beloved daughters were blown up by Israeli fire on his home, and the story that went around the world following the immediacy of that act.

The story is simply written with no rhetoric, just a straightforward telling of how it is to struggle to have a happy family life and to work in Gaza. The struggle to be able to move about freely, to retain a sense of worth, to simply maintain a home and family life in the face of adversity, and to do that without harbouring hatred for those he could easily see as the perpetrators of oppression.

The book fills in the gaps (for those who know little) in terms of explaining some of the background to why the Israeli's and Palestinians are where they are today, with the overlying message from Izzeldin that it doesn't have to be that way any more.

Its a very moving story and can bring you to tears, and if you are lucky enough, as i have been, to never to have experienced anything like Izzedin's experience, then it is truly humbling and thought evoking.

A recommended read to just put life into perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elevation of Spirit, 21 Mar 2011
Gritty human experience can be recorded in forms that may be captivating, shocking or moving. The author manages all three so the read is compelling. The matter-of-fact revelations of the author ambush you - every now and then I found myself summing up and experiencing the aweful reality of understanding that the lives of countless Palestinians have been blighted unnecessarily for generations, since they were forced into two small patches of their former lands in 1948.

It is only by chance that the author's family decided to go to the Gaza Strip rather than the West Bank on the basis that they knew people on the Strip. The outcome for the family was almost certainly worse for that decision.
In spite of the enormous deprivations, abject poverty, horrendous mal-treatments and the most dreadful and violent losses of his closest family, Dr Abuelaish continues to reframe his experiences to maintain his sanity, to be free from anger and to seek a way to peace through medicine. He is an example of human greatness at its purest best.

This book is a gift of humanity in a world of ignorant, angry and selfish people who traumatize us and destroy our planet because of their own lack of humanity - the simple ability to see other people, including our enemies as redeemable and deserving a safe envrionment in which to flourish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 18 Mar 2011
Mrs. K. Ireland "Kath Mezzo" (Co Durham England) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book, very easy to read. It was also very informative. I now appreciate the terrible difficulties that the Palestinians have to put up with. All told without an ounce of hatred. Everyone should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration, 7 Sep 2011
"I shall not hate" is one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. Not only has this story helped me to have a better understanding of the complexities of the region, but it has also made me feel such gratitude for so many of the things we take so much for granted in our own little worlds.

If anyone deserves happiness, it is Dr Abuelaish. Don't miss this book, it is a true lesson of life, of love, of forgiveness and of faith.

Thank you, Dr Abuelaish, for sharing your inspiring story, and your hopes for a better future...

4.0 out of 5 stars This man humbles me, 20 May 2014
This review is from: I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity (Paperback)
It's 1.09am. I am sat here tears streaming down my face. After reading this book I have just watched the video of Izzeldins tragic phone call captured on TV just after his 3 children and niece had been killed when his house was fired on. Then the bodies carried away to be buried. Heartbreaking is not a strong enough word to use.
I am in awe of this man. He had spent his life trying to make a better life not just for himself, but for Palestine. All he has ever believed in is the hope of bringing peace between the Palestinians and the Israelis.

At one point when the military said they had fired on his house because armed people were in there, Izzeldin says "my daughters were armed with love, with hope, with education, with work for peace."

I have to be honest my heart would only be filled with hate and revenge if this happened to my family. I can honestly say I do not know to what extremes I would go to if I had suffered like he. But not this man. He uses this horrific attack, this murder, to try again to get his message across. That there must be peace.

How dare I sit here in the safety of my home and bemoan that i cant afford a big house, or have no car. Or see the wrinkles appearing and grey hairs and feel sad that I am getting older. How lucky I am that I have lived and am still living. That my daughter and husband sleep soundly upstairs. I really have no idea how lucky I am. I think I appreciate life but I don't. Not like I should. This man humbles me.

I wish everyone would read this book and see the videos. I wish people would open their minds and look to the future and not the past. I fear his dream will never happen. That there will never be peace. If only there where more people like him then I believe that peace would become a reality.

I pray for him and for his family. The children left who have to live with what happened. Who have to try to build a future. They have suffered. I pray with all my heart that one day their suffering will end.

Most of all, I pray for peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic but incredibly inspirational. Everyone should read this book, 18 May 2011
Dr Abuelaish and his children are truly inspirational. Throughout history the greatest individuals are those, who regardless of everything, never give up hope and continue believing in humanity. The authors overriding message from this book, in his own words, is as follows.. '' We must work diligently on this journey to peace. Hatred and darkness can only be driven out with love and light. Let us build a new generation, one that believes that advancing human civilisation is a shared project among all peoples and that the holiest things in the universe are freedom and justice.''

5.0 out of 5 stars A Candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize, 9 Mar 2011
I heard Izzeldin Abuelaish being interviewed on Today FM's, Matt Cooper Show (Ireland) last night. Before even reading the book, I am so impressed by the man's humility and his forgiveness and by what he said so much I have decided to learn more about him. I was born in Northern Ireland in 1959 so I was 10 when the 'Troubles' broke out. Although I cannot compare what happened to the citizens of Northern Ireland because of 'The Troubles' to what the Palestinians and the Israelies have lived through and continue to live through, but I can appreciate Izzeldin's sentiment "that the people in the region need to start talking to each other" because that is the only way you make progress. Progess is not made with the bomb and the bullet or as the Provisional IRA were fond of saying "an armalite in one hand and the ballot paper in the other". It took all of the participants, be they the British Government, British Soldiers, IRA or Loyalist paramilitary over 30 years to realise that through tolerance and a willingness to accept another persons diversity is to give them their basic human rights. Progress can then be made and as a part of that progress dialogue is paramount.

This man deserves consideration for the Nobel Peace Prize for his sentiments alone.

Jane Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Book - I shall not hate, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: I Shall Not Hate (Kindle Edition)
I was talking to a friend about a book that I have recently read about the Palestine situation and by chance he had recently read "I Shall Not Hate" written be a Palestinian doctor, Izzeldin Abuelaish. I, probably like many, had only picked up what little I knew from news media. I you have the remotest interest in humanity or lack of it this book should be read and if this is stimulating follow it by reading Fast Time in Palestine by Pamela Olson which reinforces much of the desperation covered in I Shall Not Hate.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Shall Not Hate - Izzeldin Abuelaish, 20 July 2011
I found this book one of the most profound that I have ever read. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to know the realities of the pain of those living within occupaton in Israel / Palestine, but also as a book for those of all faiths or none, to learn what peaceful resistance is really about. Izzeldin's experiences are ones which we hope none of us will have to experience, but if we do we can learn so much from his deep convicion that hate is distructive. A few key quotes - 'Hate is an illness, it prevents healing and peace'. 'Anger is not the same as hate. Anger can be productive. Feel the anger, acknowledge it, but let it be accompanied by change. Let it propel you towards necessary action for the betterment of yourself and others'. I want to thank Izzeldin for sharing his pain and for his honesty in wrestling with some of the most painful experiences of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I SHALL NOT HATE., 13 April 2011
an easyto-read true story of the futility of violence and the difference when good human qualities are brought to bear.

6.29