1,404
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£60.31+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 22 July 2005
Like a lot of other readers, I would guess, I was disappointed with Order of the Pheonix, and wondered if HBP would be better- I can safely say that it is. It is darker in tone than OOTP, which is no bad thing bearing in mind Harry is older and becoming more aware of the magnitude of Voldemort's evil.The ongoing character development of much loved characters, particularly the comedy brilliance of Ron and Hermione's, and their completely mutual feelings for each other combined with not knowing how to say it really was great. As for Harry's romance, I was quite surprised but think that the female character has come into her own in the last few books and is almost as likeable as Hermione, and the last scene between the two was quite poignant. As for the death and the major plot twist- it worked, although I wonder whether Rowling isn't still going to spring a reversal on us in the last book somehow as regards to the "killer" and his true allegiances. Only bad thing about this book is that it might be a long wait to the next one- although, if the quality and enjoyment of reading that last installment- I- was as high as this one was -I couldn't put it down- I don't mind!
on 27 January 2006
A series that can stimulate the imagination of children and encourage them to read is thing of beauty. Not only does this book appeal to the younger set, but us older guys too. I've been reading fantasy now for twenty years and this series has held my attention throughout.
Another story I'd reccomend is a new guy, Brian S. Pratt. In his debut novel he creates a world where a young man is pulled from this one and deposited without any idea why or what he's to do. Full of action, magic and war, James(the hero) sets out in search of answers.
on 18 July 2005
I have only been a fan of Harry Potter since December 2004 and read books one to five in a few days. Like many others I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and could not sleep as the release date approached. I was not disappointed.
I enjoyed the sixth installment of the Harry Potter books and I suspect readers will by shocked, amazed and disppointed about the content of this book. Like many others, I'm sure you will want to throw your book across the room over certain events and open your mouth wide in learning the parentage of a certain character.
Harry has certainly matured in the sixth book and the relationships between the central characters constantly change and of course there is Quidditch.
I can say for sure that the US and UK covers (Children's, Adult and Deluxe) will make sense now afetr you have read the book.
Not all of you will like it, but hey, you can't please everyone.
Identity of the Half-Blood Prince? - Shocked me.
Keep an open mind, don't speed read and read between the lines.
on 19 July 2005
Like the last book, The order of the phoneix, a central part of this one is concerned with addressing plot exposition for the overall story arc of Harry's duel with Voldemort. Consequently it is perhaps not as self-contained a novel as, say, The Prisoner of Azkhaban, and is a little slow to get going.
Having said that it once it gets going it is not only terrifically exciting and entertaining but touches upon some important issues: the nature of war, how fear can lead even the well intentioned to act unjustly, loss, and perhaps the dominant theme in the series, how our choices define us as human beings. Like Joss Wheldon's work, JK Rowling understands that putting believable and likeable characters in fantastical situations heightens the universiality and impact of what it is like to face the mundane and terrifying dilemmas that life brings to us all.
Very sad, very exciting, some lovely moments of humour and a fine evocation of the sense of loss that becoming an adult brings.
on 19 July 2005
After the disappointment of the Order of the Phoenix, the Half-Blood Prince is a welcome return to form by Rowling. The whole book is much tighter, with very much less aimless "stuff-happening-just-for-the-sake-of-it". The story is well paced, and the darker tone of previous books is even stronger. Of course, there is no getting away from the usual touchstones of Harry's life - summer holidays at the Dursleys, going to the Weasleys', Diagon Ally, missing the sorting, Quiddich etc, etc.
Of course, for those who have found themselves helplessly immersed in the Potter-verse, waiting on tenterhooks for each new instalment, any review is pointless - we're going to buy it anyway. But it's nice that it looks like we're building for an excellent finale, rather than drifting towards a damp squib ending.
on 16 July 2009
Having been a huge Harry Potter fan since the 4th book, I have eagerly awaited the release of each subsequent novel, read the next installment in less than 24 hours, then spent the next week moaning about what a dissapointment it was, how it just didn't live up to the previous novels and how I expected so much more. Now that the last book has been released and there are no more mysteries to be revealed however I can read these books in a totally different light - not racing through trying to find clues to the answers of the massive questions building up from the first book, but as entertainement, to get lost in JK's magical world for a while where wizards live amongst muggles, where all the things you dreamed of as a kid do exist in these pages - as well as stuff you could never have dreamed of.

The Half-Blood Prince is so named after a potions book Harry borrows from the cupboard as he had not purchased his own, but that is full of annotations and scribbles which not only turn Harry into the best potion's pupil of the year, but contains a variety of new spells Harry is sure the 'Prince' created himself, and that he uses throughout the year often unknowing of what will happen. This is the novel where Dumbledore finally tells Harry about Voldemorts childhood, about what steps the Dark Lord took to become what he has become, and how it is that he didn't die that fateful night all those years ago when the aveda kedavra curse rebounded on himself and stripped him of his body.

A dark book, I love the new focus on Malfroy's character (who was always secretly my favourite), the bigger roles of Snape and Dumbledore in the story, and the revelations of Voldemort's past - and trust me, these do not dissapoint. The book is dark, but interspersed through the melancholic moments are many laughs, and of course the never ending wit and charm of JK's writing.

It amazes me that there are still so many people out there who refuse to read these novels - they do not know what they are missing. These books are not masterpieces, I admit this freely, they do not have the same literary value of novels such as Birdsong, Emma, Great Expectations etc, but they still remain among my favourite books ever because they are little treasures that not only take me back to the hours of my childhood I spent pouring over Rowling's words, but because JK truly creates a world you can lose yourself in and care about. In short, these books are magic.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was disappointed at a first reading of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Mainly because not a lot seemed to happen: the magical number of seven books had to be filled, but you got the feeling that this one had little raison d'etre. At the end of Phoenix everything seemed to be in place for a final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, but pretexts are found for putting it off, and too many of the pages (mercifully fewer than in Phoenix) are filled with unnecessary back story which JKR could have written in her sleep - or fans could have written for her - while key characters like Ron, Hermione and Hagrid are left with almost nothing to do and nowhere to go.
Perhaps most infuriating of all, a key character for whom we had felt more and more interest and sympathy in books 1-5, wondering which way he would eventually jump, turned out to be unequivocally a bad guy. How boring is that? I trust and hope that this isn't Rowling's final word on Professor ... (supply name), but for the moment, things don't look good.

Still, with the tremendous pressure on her to deliver, I feel nothing but sympathy for JK Rowling, and would defend her to the last against the snide army of reviewers (some of whom can't even spell) who are keen to lump her together with cynical purveyors of dumbed-down mass culture, just because her books have made her a lot of money. May I remind everyone who calls the Harry Potter books production-line bestsellers that the first book in the series almost didn't find a publisher and became a success by word of mouth, not hype. The Harry Potter books fall into the same category as The Lord of the Rings and Watership Down as the work of true individuals who have reached deep down inside themselves to produce their visions, not just glanced around at what the crowd seems to want. It is for this very reason, I like to think, that they have struck such a tremendous chord - and it is for this reason, too, that the intellectual establishment hates them so much; it has staked its credibility on cheering on the end of western civilisation, and can't stomach popular art that is neither superficial nor despairing - that takes a moral line and carries a message of hope.

Look at how Rowling constantly deepens and toughens her moral outlook - even mighty Dumbledore's strength fails him, he meets disaster because he trusts too much, but the fact that he fails doesn't make him wrong.

And the sheer exhilaration of the way she plays with her material, so that points raised in the earlier books find new explanations or are seen in a new light, and you can never be sure whether it's pre-planned or she's having second thoughts and improvising, like a supremely talented jazz musician - this is something that emerges more clearly with repeated readings.

If horror is your thing, if all-action story-board-like adventure is your thing, even if perfection is your thing, go elsewhere. But if you want true, unique, individual creativity that doesn't mind wearing its flaws on its sleeve, stick with Harry Potter.

POSTSCRIPT AFTER READING HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: Well, what do you know, she fooled me completely!! Not that I'm hard to fool. This highly satisfactory last episode upholds everything good I've said about J.K. Rowling here and negates the bad: going through book 6 again, especially the opening chapter, after reading book 7 leaves you awed at the author's sheer cleverness. Professor ***** is the hero!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been a huge fan of the Harry Potter novels since by parents first thrust The Philosopher's Stone into my hands on a family holiday as a young child. Admittadly I was slightly skeptical, especially considering the front cover. That was the first and last time I judged a book by its cover.
With that in mind, I was looking forward to book 6 with high expectations, Goblet of Fire had already made the first leap from a bloody good kid's book to a cracking adult's novel. With the stage firmly set for darker things in Order of the Pheonix, The Half Blood Price had a lot to live up to.
Simply, it does.
The Half Blood Prince, begins with a chapter that captured my interest immidiatly, a meeting between The Minister of Magic and our own "beloved" Prime Minister. It has to be said, this book has disposed of or recycled the traditional HP formula of "Harry goes to school, something happens to make him suspicious, he works all year to find out about it then fights it"
In Book 6 Harry is in a new, uncertain time in the Magical Community. The Wizarding World is at war! Ministry of Magic security posters cover the walls of Diagon Ally... And for once, nothing in Hogwarts is black and white.
In this book, Hogwarts reflects the wizarding world that houses it, enemies and allies are in the most unexpected places, and Harry may well be beyond the help of his friends as he has to come to terms with his destiny.
This revolutionary edition in the Harry Potter saga will never let you put it down until you finish the last page, and even then, you will hold it in your hands for the next few days, glancing at its cover every so often, and whispering the word... "wow"
JK Rowling has excelled herself and the scene has been wonderfully set for book 7, the nerve wrecking finale that with any luck will bring Harry and his Nemesis, Lord Voldemort into close combat, for it is true that
Neither can live while the other survives...
on 21 July 2005
I really thought this book was fantastic - well worth the wait... It is perhaps not as structured as the previous books but as I see it, this is only because, with the world being at war, the structured timetables of the school (which structured the previous books) do not matter quite so much... It is not a world based solely in Hogwarts and I think this serves the purpose of making us realise that what Harry is facing is a global problem (It shows us just how important his fate is). I felt that the book created many loose ends that were only tied up in the last 100 pages of the book, perhaps adding to the suspense. The death at the end... I agree with some of the other reviewers in that it was not the way he/she should die - I believe that this cannot be the end for him/her at all (someone like that cannot be killed so easily!). I have to say, I believe this book to be more of a "part 1" of the last two books, as many characters, such as Scrimgeour and Slughorn are created and we see no real plot endings for them (yet!). Also, the book is preparing Harry for his fate. Finally, this book is most certainly darker and more graphic than any of the previous installments - many of the scenes are incredibly cinematic (although, I dread the film version - if released it should be a '15' age rating but, no doubt, they will remove any graphic bits so that they can sell it to 8 year olds... damn shame... This is the point of this book!). I was around 11 when I read the first book and so I feel that I am growing up with Harry, just as the nation is (the story in this book and the emotions experienced can only be deeply understood by people older than 13-14... young children will be frightened by it or will not understand it - it is not written for young children readers... it is for those people who have been on the journey with Harry since it started and have grown up with him!!!) A deeply involving book (you will feel everything that the characters feel) and something that you will truly want to spend a couple of days in solitary confinement for... JK Rowling, you are marvellous!!! May the seventh bring even more fantastic revelations! (Oh, and dont let the person who dies just be dead and cut him out of the story... that would be lame...)... BUY THIS BOOK!!!
on 20 July 2005
I have read so many bad reports of this book: why?!
My mother recommended the Harry Potter books to me. At first I refused, thinking that it was just a ridiculous kiddie money spinner. However, once I picked up the first book I didnt stop reading!
Book 6 is definately the best one by far, it ties up so many loose ends yet opens up so much more for book 7. I think that it is good that Rowling has made the last three books a lot darker - it has created a better story and helps us to understand who Voldemort is and why Harry's parents were killed in the first place rather than just giving a vague reason. I think that originally she designed these books for children, but as they have progressed they have become a lot more adult orientated.
I was so shocked by the ending, but that just leaves me wanting more!
I think that all the characters have progressed so much, and don't forget that Harry, Ron and Hermione are now teenagers, so there are bound to be teenage subjects brought up.
If you haven't read this book, please don't be affected by the few bad reviews that it has got. Harry fans seem to think that they own the series and can dictate what happens to the characters - none of us can, this is all down to Rowling's imagination! You will not be disappointed by this great read.
I don't think that Rowling has lost sight of her original storyline at all, yet again she has managed to impress me and confirmed that this really is my favourite set of books ever!
PLEASE RELEASE BOOK 7 SOON!!!!!