1,380 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - but I can't rate it as anything else.
The overwhelming opinion of many reviewers is that this is a fantastic book. Yet hidden between the glowing comments a view emerges of a sense of disappointment.
Since I completed the book I have wondered why I too, was left with this unexpected and unwanted feeling. I now realise that, like many of us who are deeply immersed in this incredible story, we feel so much...
Published on 22 July 2005 by Grahame S Hodgson

3.0 out of 5 stars the weakest but still stronger than the opposition
I was disappointed at a first reading of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Mainly because not a lot seemed to happen: the magical number of seven books had to be filled, but you got the feeling that this one had little raison d'etre. At the end of Phoenix everything seemed to be in place for a final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, but pretexts are found for...
Published on 3 Feb. 2009 by Caroline Galwey

‹ Previous | 1124 125 126138 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun to read, 23 May 2006
Harry Potter books are great! I am a big Harry Potter fan. This book was so fun to read that I can't wait for the next one. You'll love this book too, if you are a Harry Potter fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars a traitor revealed!, 28 July 2005
By A Customer
Harry Potter number 6 whilst bringing much more depth to the story and individual characters could have done with a little more editing as it seemed to take an age for them to arrive at Hogwarts. whilst the death was predictable it didn't prevent me from blubbering! Revealing the traitor has far from been a let down, giving me plenty of possible predictions to mill over for the big finally.
The teenage passion seemed pretty normal of that age from what I remember, I think some of the rewiewers have been a little harsh failing to recognise that the series is after all really designed for the younger generations.
On the whole, it was a good book but in my opinion not quite up to the same standard of the others, but then it seems reasonable to expect in a series of seven books that everyone will find one book that's an in-betweeny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 24 July 2005
I was a reluctant latecomer to the Harry Potter saga, but am now well and truly entangled. Once again JK Rowling manages to suck you into Harry's world and leave you begging for more.
The story moves along at a good pace, making it difficult to put down. There are some genuinely funny moments in the story, but some equally bleak and dark ones too.
Thankfully the annoyingly angry and intense Harry of 'Phoenix' has largely been replaced by a more laid back person, but there was still just enough stubbornness to keep things interesting. Harry finally comes to terms with who he is, there are some interesting insights into Voldemort's past, increasingly complex developments in Harry's relationship with Snape, all set against a torrent of teenage hormones! The scene is set for an epic showdown in the final installment and I can't wait to find out how the story ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars harry potter and the half blood prince, 19 July 2005
Shelfie (South West France) - See all my reviews
I feel sorry for those whose main ambition has been to finish this book in as fast a time as possible. The detail in the writing and the whole story plot are just wonderful. As a fast reader, I made myself slow down and reread bits so as to miss nothing. This is undoubtedly the best book yet. Only problem is how on earth do we wait two years for the last episode in Harry's story.

1.0 out of 5 stars J.K. Rowling .....or Stephen King?????, 18 July 2005
I'm one of the many adult readers of Harry Potter books, and I awaited the release of this one probably just as much as the kids. The size of the book made me feel I was going to get 'a lot of Harry Potter' to make up for the long wait. Sadly, I feel that I was let down tremendously.
Not only was the book padded out considerably, the joyous escapism that I had loved so much with previous copies (though, I must admit that the last couple were getting a little scary for what I thought were children's books) seemed in this case to have been replaced with scenes of horror.
We now have zombies, oh, I'm sorry, Inferi. '....an army of the dead rising from the black water...' along with other grisly descriptions of dead human body parts.
Werewolves. '...Fenrir Greyback grinned, showing pointed teeth. Blood trickled down his chin and he licked his lips slowly, obscenely......But you know how much I like kids.....I wouldn't want to miss a trip to Hogwarts......not when there are throats to be ripped out...delicious...delicious
And of course there is the cold blooded murder of the Wizard that we thought could protect all of the characters we've all come to love, in the books and on the screen.
I wonder how they will be able to make this into a screen version without an 18 certificate????
With all the trauma that our children have to put up with while living in this violent world, where they can't turn the T.V. on nowadays without seeing more people being blown up, mamed and murdered, you would've thought that their imaginations could be safe from horror and unrest. I'm an adult, and I found this book a tad over the edge.
Just a thought, but as J.K. Rowling is now worth £200 million, is she shipping these books out to 'ghost writers' ??? Obvously the question begs to be asked, as the writing style is so different to the early books. Maybe the great 'Harry Potter' machine has become...well...a machine.
There was more plot and less padding in the earlier books.
Freedom of speech and all of that. I'm sure there will be millions who will think the book is great, and will go on to buy the next ten. Sadly, this customer stops here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter Lover, 7 Dec. 2006
I thought this book was excellant!!!It was much darker than the other books. Like all of the other books this is one that you cant put down once you've picked it up. Each book the auther writes gets better than the previous one. I cant wait for the final book but it will be a shame when that one is finished and I've read that because there will be no more to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - But a chore to finish and get into..., 15 Jan. 2006
I found this books ok, but took me months to read and finish as I found it a chore and a struggle to get into...I feel perhaps that compared with the previous Harry Potter novels that Rowling's heart isn't in it anymore. The characters are becoming less realistic and more annoying as you turn each page...There's better fantasy fiction to read...

3.0 out of 5 stars Less Hogwarts, More Voldemort backstory, 7 Aug. 2005
"Half-Blood" seems written in broad strokes, without much of the fun and humor of most of the earlier books. From what I've read here, it seems that those who thought "Goblet of Fire" was Rowling's best effort will love this book. But not much happens, as the plot is mostly a series of flashbacks about Voldemort. And if Harry is learning much at Hogwarts or from Dumbledore to further develop his magic skills, it's not clear from the book. Those of us who anxiously awaited the development of the teasers from "Order of the Phoenix" will be disappointed. Also, the identity of the half-blood prince is very obvious from the moment Harry gets a used textbook, which is odd, as fans are used to twists in Rowling's books. The big death--real, planned for some horcrux* reason, or faked--was probably expected too, by most fans. After all, it's Harry that's the hero. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: There's not much of Luna, and even less of Neville, in this book. They are such sweet and funny characters that I found myself actively missing them and looking to file a formal grievance. As far as I'm concerned, Ms. Rowlings can kill off almost anyone she likes, so long as we get a full helping of Luna and Neville and they manage to survive in the end. For that matter, we could have used more of Fred and George too. Harry's love interest this time is no big surprise and not much fun either. Although a Harry-Luna romance would have been high entertainment, Rowlings seems to have put the skids on that. But the thing about Rowlings is she never takes her story where readers expect her to go, and I must admit she goes a different way here too. So, "Half-Blood" is mainly a bunch of flashbacks, and it seems that Rowlings is saving all the big developments and surprises for Book 7? Like rather complex classical music, the melody is there, but obscured, and there is no way anyone could have predicted the main thrust of this book, which is not, interestingly, really about the half-blood prince.
*Sorry, to find out what a horcrux is, you'll have to read the book, nearly to the end (to page 432, anyway).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet !!!, 20 Oct. 2005
Iain (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was without a doubt the best Harry Potter book yet (and that's saying something). The twists and turns and interwoven nature of the plot throughout the book as throughout the series are sheer brilliance. The way the characters, thier relationship, and the story evolve is a joy to behold. A work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 3 Aug. 2005
This is a cracking new book from the Harry Potter series, and is one of the very best in a collection of already outstanding novels.
One of the many winning qualities of the Harry Potter books is the time spent devoted to recounting events in great detail, and this recent book is no exception.
The book shows all the wonderful relationships between characters to their best advantage, setting the stage expertly for the seventh and final book.
J.K. Rowling shows her unmitigated dexterity by switching from sometimes vastly different topics, such as action to romance, with consummate skill.
Dumbledore is on sparkling form in this often witty, occasionally romantic, exquisitely written novel.

‹ Previous | 1124 125 126138 | Next ›

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (Audio CD - 7 Nov. 2011)