1,344 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastically thrilling book
I am 8 years old. I really love this thrilling book. Anyone aged eight and a half to thirty years who likes adventures should read it. It is full of magic and excitement. If you are worried about it being too scary, then don't - it has never given me nightmares. As soon as I got this book I could not wait to get started. I hope you enjoy it too.
Published on 5 Dec. 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars the weakest but still stronger than the opposition
I was disappointed at a first reading of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Mainly because not a lot seemed to happen: the magical number of seven books had to be filled, but you got the feeling that this one had little raison d'etre. At the end of Phoenix everything seemed to be in place for a final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, but pretexts are found for...
Published on 3 Feb. 2009 by Caroline Galwey

‹ Previous | 1124 125 126135 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Straight from the well of lost plots, 28 Nov. 2005
If you were to compare the Goblet of Fire to the very firstStar Wars film, then this book would definitely be Attack of the Clones. JK is marking time, folks. She's committed herself to writing seven books, and dammit that's exactly what she's going to do, by hook or by crook.
HBP is not so much a plot driven novel as a diary. There is no real plot to speak of. And, oh blimey, what has she done with Snape and Dumbledore? Right from the start the relationship between these two has been a major issue. Is Dumbledore right, or has the greatest wizard of his time been hoodwinked? Well, JK seems to have resolved this issue, and in exactly the way that I feared she would, the easy one. I hope to god it's a device to set up book seven or I shall be severely disappointed. Not that she cares. This one flew off the shelves, and yes, I'll certainly buy the next one, but it could have been so much better.
My nine year old son has devoured the five previous books within a couple of weeks of getting them. This one took him several months because he kept putting it down. That just about sums it up for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 31 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
In books 4 and 5 Rowling raised some interesting issues. Harry was facing the 'dirty hands problem', having realised that he must kill Voldemort in order for good to prevail in the young wizard's world. We also had Voldemort using Harry's blood in order to regain his own physical form, allowing Rowling to explore, through her protagonist, the human potential for evil. The final two books of the series could have been groundbreaking. Instead we hear of vampires and giants rampaging around the UK second hand, via Hermione's reading the paper. Anyone hoping to discover *why* Dumbledore trusted Snape so will be disappointed. And Harry's long awaited romance with Ginny? It's over in a flash. This book is not what it could have been. And it could have been great. J. K. Rowling, after promising so much, quite simply fails to deliver.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 26 July 2005
As much as I have loved reading all the Potter books I have to say i was a little dissapointed by this one. it is a good solid book and a great read but it doesn't really get going untill the last few chapters.
I felt that there was a lot that could have been left out at the start and more action put in.
I think it is setting up the final book to be amazing but this seemed too much like a filler book to pad the series out a bit.
It has got me looking forward to the final installment though so i suppose it did it's job!

3.0 out of 5 stars A long-term fan disappointed, 16 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
Well, I was pretty disappointed. The twist at the end wasn't expected and unlike the death in Order of the Phoenix I didn't know what was coming in this one. That's the good points...the bad? Well, this book is designed as a stepping-stone between book 5 and book 7 and as such, most of it is just tying off loose ends and the relationships in the book that are developed are done so in a roundabout way and are drawn out. I think the pressure is beginning to get to J.K.Rowling and that is a pity but if you look carefully, the spacing between lines is larger than the other books, as is the font (I'm talking about the same versions as every other Harry Potter book also so that isn't it) and I think the pressure has caused the author to feel the need to pad out this book to make it appear to be a similar size to Order of the Phoenix. If the font, line-spacing and filler sub-plots were left out, this book would probably be a similar size to Prisoner of Azkaban.
I don't think that is a bad thing, but I've got to say that this book wasn't as well-written as the others either. It's a pity, but I'm sure book 7 will redeem it. This book fulfilled its purpose and that is to act as a prologue to book 7.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is there no War Cabinet at the Ministry for Magic?, 17 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
First let me say that I enjoy reading Harry Potter very much but some things are really starting to bother me. First the charactor denseness that is used as a plot device. Harry and his friends exhibit extremely selective periods of stupidity. It spoils some aspects of the book for me. Ron and Hermione pooh-poohing Harry's concern over Malfoy in the Room of Requirement and Harry and Ron's unconcern over the Half-Blood Prince. It's like nothing has been learned by these charactors from the previous books. The fact that Lord Voldemort and his supporters are not fought in any organised way. There seems to a great deal of flapping by the Ministry but no real effort is made to find and fight the Death Eaters and Voldemort. The Wizarding world just seems to hide in their homes and hope it will all go away. It bothers me, and yes it tarnishes the books for me. It seems to me that what the Minstry of Magic needs is a Winston Churchill to give them a boot in the rear end and then someone like Roosevelt to stand for election and sweep out all the little petty beaurecrats like Percy.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAAAAAAAAAAAAZING!!!!!, 22 Oct. 2005
This book is absolutely great!!!!! By far the darkest of the 6 books, and seems to show the end of an era, but who knows what book 7 will bring to the potter series!!!! Lets hope JK can keep up the good work and suprise and excite us some more!!!!
Definately get this book, as it is up there with the likes of Goblet of Fire, and The order of the Phoenix, who are without a doubt the best books in the series.
ENJOY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter comes of age!, 19 July 2005
By A Customer
Before you start reading this review, please note that there
might be a couple of SPOILERS!!!
First of all I really like this book and it is an excellent
addition to the series. The only problem is that it is a really
slow starter. It doesn't start getting good until they are on
the train to Hogwarts and then it slows down a bit.
There are a number of surprises in it - I have heard a lot of
theories going around saying who the half-blood prince is, who
dies, who is the murderer and (spoiler!) who heard Sybil's
prophecy and why Dumbledore trusts Snape (End of Spoiler).
Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!
Now anyone who doesn't want to know the story look away now! I
mean it this is your last chance! Fine, I think it was really
sad that Dumbledore dies and that Harry can't trust anyone.
Still there are some good points. For example it's really sweet
that Fleur and Bill do still love each other and that Tonks
gets together with Lupin. It must have been really frustrating
to Harry that no-one would believe him that Malfoy was a death
eater.
END OF SPOILERS!!!!!!!!
Right then if you haven't read the book yet or the top then it
was well done - most people can't resist asking me what
happened! So power to you, anyway as I said it's a really good
book but it starts slow. But preserver it gets really
interesting near the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cryfest!, 18 July 2005
S. Davies "suzilou" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the first time in a long time I have almost cried when reading a book! JK Rowling has made a brave decision in killing off Dumbledore (sorry those who haven't read the book yet!) but she does not disappoint in this sixth book of the series. Drama, suspense, a little romance, and in my opinion, much easier to follow than OOTP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book, in the series!, 8 Aug. 2006
(Sorry for any bad spelling!)

Why was everyone slating this book. I think that this has been the best one so far. The reasons for this is because, the characters have grown up alot and are faced with life changing choices. I love this book because harry potter can still be read by all ages.

If your only just buying this book, then where have you been for the past year or so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!!, 16 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
Love it! Love it, i really enjoyed this book it had everything i would expect from jk but with that little bit more as it really leaves you feeling shocked and wanting to know what happens next!! all i can say is buy this book and if you have not already got the hp series then go out and buy them cos they are just out of this world.

‹ Previous | 1124 125 126135 | Next ›

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (Audio CD - 7 Nov. 2011)