1,264 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastically thrilling book
I am 8 years old. I really love this thrilling book. Anyone aged eight and a half to thirty years who likes adventures should read it. It is full of magic and excitement. If you are worried about it being too scary, then don't - it has never given me nightmares. As soon as I got this book I could not wait to get started. I hope you enjoy it too.
Published on 5 Dec 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars the weakest but still stronger than the opposition
I was disappointed at a first reading of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Mainly because not a lot seemed to happen: the magical number of seven books had to be filled, but you got the feeling that this one had little raison d'etre. At the end of Phoenix everything seemed to be in place for a final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, but pretexts are found for...
Published on 3 Feb 2009 by Caroline Galwey

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh j.k rowling what have you done????????, 7 Oct 2005
no no no no i cant believe it!!!!!!! the first 5 books were absolutly amazing but this book is just... its not well written it seems like it was rushed it didnt have the class and elegance of the other books i gave it 3stars ONLY COS IT WAS HARRY POTTER but i was very disapointed

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating but substandard installment, 19 July 2005
Unlike the previous novels, the book seemed strangely lifeless until we reached the final five chapters. It was constistently engrossing but there was too much talk and not enough action. The format has become a little predictable and the exploration of teenage relationships was quaint but far too innocent for to have any real connection with reality. However, the ending was exhilarating, unexpectedly devastating and will leave fans reeling. It is likely to upset younger children. Rowling has shed the one-time cosiness and warmth and this was clearly a book to pave the way for a breathtaking showdown in the final book of the series, which will be unlike any other. I eagerly await the next publication, in the hope that it will award this slightly dissappointing installment greater significance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 17 July 2005
By A Customer
Marvellous! Magical!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, 19 July 2005
By A Customer
A damp squib of a book. After the first five books, where the storyline kept diverging away from Harry and he was always being overshadowed by others more accomplished, it could have been hoped that in his sixteenth year he would at last show signs of being a true Messiah and start to fulfil his supposed destiny as the saviour of good and the vanquisher of evil. Alas, it was not to be. J K Rowling spends much time filling in the blanks of the earlier stories with history and lineage, more time in undermining the basic Harry Potter/Lord Voldemort prophecy, and even more time in recounting the boring humdrum events of daily life at school, leaving the exciting action to be crammed in at the end of the book which (adding insult to injury!) then concentrates on Dumbledore as the hero with Harry left in no doubt that he is only a little boy too weak to cope with grown-up wizardry. Looks just like Batman and Robin. Finally, the big scene (Dumbledore again! - doesn't he look just like Gandalf?), where evil triumphs and Harry dismisses a loving relationship (remember that love was the one thing that enabled Harry to stand up against Lord Voldemort?) in favour of starting a quest. Sounds just like the standard Hollywood set-up: Action Heroes must be self-sacrificing with a tortured past and never reach a definite conclusion. This book has all the hallmarks of a media driven publication, which is a pity because Harry Potter has been a good English tale - My advice: skip the book, wait for the film.

3.0 out of 5 stars What's Going On Rowling?, 20 Sep 2006
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I always resisted Harry Potter, but eventually I found I had to read the whole series. And I would sum it up as such; from the Philosophers Stone until The Goblet Of Fire, it increases in brilliance, and the latter is a marvelous book, which ranks as one of my absolute favourite of all time. But, alas, since then, both the successors have been tired and (dare I say it) dull.

Has she lost her passion for the series, I would venture that indeed she has. The story just follows a mundane 6th year at Hogwarts, with the perpetual shadow of Voldemort and his minions always trying to destroy the minstry of magic.

Along this theme the book plods on, with a few scattered hints that things are not going well. But the ending is almost too predictable, you know who is trying to bring the death eaters ino Hogwarts, you know the intrigue which surrounds Snape, and , ultimately, we were all told a major character dies. It is really not hard to guess who that victim will be.

I almost feel, that she feels she must kill off characters in order to maintain any interest in the ongoing saga, just look at The Order Of The Phoenix.

I just hope she rediscovers her form for the final installment, something which could make or break the Potter series as a future classic, but I am already braced for disappointment. She should never have undertaken to write 7 books, when her audience lose interest after the 4th.

So, Rowling, we all know how rich your readers have made you, that is no secret. how about you give something back to those who have made you so fabulously wealthy, and actually make an effort for the final part.

p.s The struggle against the over generous reviewers gathers pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars She does it again, 1 Aug 2005
chrissie (Harlow, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I thought this really was JK at her best! This is my favourite Harry Potter of all time, and what twists!!
Fan Bloomin Tastic

3.0 out of 5 stars magically disapointing, 9 Aug 2005
I have, like most, been awaiting this installment with high expectations. I am sorry to say this book did fall short of those, in my opinion, and lacks the same feelings of excitement and discovery that the previous books had.
I found the first chapter very difficult to get in to and found myself re-reading paragraphs, hoping i had missed the point, but found it utterly boring and inconsquencial.
There was hope, however, on reaching the 4th chapter when Rowling discovers some of her usual flare, and the story quickens pace.
The story then halts again. I found the flash back scenes annoying, describing details we, as a reader, already knew.
I too missed the appearance of characters from other the books. there was a few lines on Tonks and Lupin but nothing did the story line justice. I found my self thinking, why mention that if your gonna forget about it until the end of the book. What i am trying to say is, that i this book, I missed the way Rowling teases her audience with tasters of the storylines, and keeps you guessing.
All i can say is that I expected more from this book. More chapters, More magic, more discoverys, more interaction between the characters and more of the amazing weasly cottage and its fantastic quirks.
Come on JK Rowling, We want more. I will always be a huge fan, and this is a must read book. If only to keep up with the story for the 7th.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, also you must read "Behind the Dark Curtain", 20 Aug 2005
This was a great Harry Potter read. Another book you must read is Adam W. Gibson's "Behind the Dark Curtain" it has no magic, but is a great thriller!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expecting more, 31 July 2005
I cannot say I'm dissapointed. It's just maybe I was expenting a bit more from a so-long-waited book.
Maybe it's my fault, because the preceding histories made me get too much inside the story. This last one has made me wake up and realise that the media business is so powerfull, that magic world, being so fragile, won't be able to resist its power.
I'm so sorry, I just hope HP7 won't be like Rambo.
P.S. With my best respects for the time and love JK empoyed to write her novel. My advice: don't buy the book, just wait for the movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars good, but theres better out there., 25 May 2006
A. Hargrave "fantasy fanatic" (Wick, Scotland) - See all my reviews
harry potter was the first fantasy book i ever read, and from then on i knew i would be reading alot of fantasy. The sixth book in the harry potter series is quite a good read. However, i am a teenager who reads about 40 - 50 600+paged books a year, and this book really didnt do anythin for me.

Firstly, it started unbelievably slowly, TRYING to set the scene, but by the time you get to the end of the book you wont remember anythin from the first 300 pages.

Secondly, even when it did get to the action, i didnt find any of it, not even in the slightest, scary, which i think a fantasy book should contain.

Finally, after reading many many many fantasy series, including Robert jordans 12 book long wheel of time series and other series' like the Wit'ch series by james clemens and many of R A Salvatore's series', i would have to rate this as one of the worst ever read. I know it is aimed at children, but a little more action and a little more of the 'fright factor' would come in very handy.

to some up, i would say that its a good enough read if your about 10, but really there is much better and much more entertaining series and authors out there. in other words i think that JK Rowling is a poor fantasy author.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (Audio CD - 7 Nov 2011)