1,101 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME
Having read the whole Harry Potter series twice I still don't think I am either a fanatic or expert. What I can say is that Deathly Hallows is the best book I have ever read and it concludes what is a compelling series of books.

I finished Deathly Hallows for the second time last night and could happily pick it up and start reading it again.
Published on 8 Jan 2009 by L. Woodley

3.0 out of 5 stars Had to read this as I had read all the others
I read this book as I had read all the others but for me the book was a bit long winded. I actually kept forgetting that I was reading it so wouldn't say it was a page turner. I am glad I read it though so I can be part of the Harry Potter thing. Thought the ending was very good though. I didn't actually expect that ending.
Published on 16 July 2010 by casper

‹ Previous | 1104 105 106111 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired and dull, 25 July 2007
Doctor Syn (Dymchurch-Under-The-Wall) - See all my reviews
Very disappointing. The plot is uninspired and the book is overlong. The first 300 pages, which are somewhat dull and dreary, should be edited down to less than 150 (at one point even Ron gets bored and leaves Harry and Hermione because nothing much is happening).

There are no big surprises and JK often appears at a loss to drive the plot forward - probably because `Deathly Hallows' does not follow the tried and tested format of the other books: Harry goes to Hogwarts, bad guys try to kill Harry, battle with the bad guys, Harry triumphs - hurrah! And the epilogue was a bad idea as it is both unnecessary and cringingly embarrassing.

A disappointing finale to a series of books which initially showed some promise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deathly Boring., 21 Aug 2007
Nadia (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I read this book just to see what happened in the end, but it was so tedious, I couldn't be bothered to finish it. I got someone else to tell me the main facts instead. I found myself really disliking most of the characters, including Harry and annoyed by the very poor and banal writing. Somehow I had the impression that JK Rowling was a literary lady who admires Jane Austen; well I think she needs to study JA some more, to improve her writing syle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't even come close to the genius that is Terry Pratchett, 17 Aug 2007
I did try my hardest with the HP series but I just cannot get over the fact that Ms Rowling merely imitates the genius of Terry Pratchett. The fact that she has an American marketing engine behind her makes no difference. You can sell all the merchandise you want, get all the movie-deals you want, it still does not change the fact that what's between the covers of each HP installment is a poor substitute for the real thing. For true wit and an unsurpassed insight to human nature and society as a whole, read Pratchett for gods' sake!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic end to the series ************************************, 25 July 2007
The book answers all your questions!It's a brilliant end to what has been a wonderful series.The book is full of action that dosen't seem to stop.I couldn't put it down.Well done JK!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 July 2007
Wilsonator (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
I have grown up with harry (currently 15) a similar age to harry in this final book.

Although admittedly I had been less than impressed with the previous 2 books, and actually only purchased this book as I felt I had to finish the series I was very impressed.

The book does an excellent job of tying together loose ends left in the other and I feel is a fitting ending to the series.

Thankyou for these great books, J.K

4.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 23 July 2007
M. Clarke (London) - See all my reviews
After 2 years of eager waiting the last installment of Harry was not quite as spectacular as expected. The first half of the book has the occasional action going on but much time was spent by Harry and his 2 friends arguing or in a state of indecision which was somewhat frustrating. They took much longer working out some of the clues than they did in previous books, not in line with the characters. Once the action finally started in the second half of the book it certainly was un-put-down-able to the degree that I had to re-read paragraphs because there was so much going on. There should have been some more information as to what happened immediately afterwards, not just years in the future.
But all in all it was still a good book and I will be reading it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's over at last!, 24 July 2009
I quite enjoyed the first 4 stories in this series but really by the 5th and 6th book the story was getting a little tired and the pace was rather flacid, and this one tops the poop chart. The teenage angst and romance was boring and the plot dragged along to its ultimate conclusion. Only pepped up by the fact that some of the key figures snuff it in the later stages I am rather sad to say that the last tomes in the potter saga left me feeling rather flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up the expectations, but..., 1 Aug 2007
O., S. Mr "eltonjohn" (Kawasaki, Kanagawa Japan) - See all my reviews
As the seventh and the last book of the series, this one truly lives up the expectations.
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" is densely packed with episodes and anecdotes that clearly explain what have been left "suspended" in the previous six books.
I believe the authour's writing/story-telling skills are at their culmination in this installment.
The only "glitch" I must complain about is the fact that the final book quite eclipses the lengthy book five, namely "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix": I am convinced that J K Rowling wishes to rewrite and trim down the book five if she could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend Reading for All, 21 July 2007
A happy and sad time, as this fine series comes to an exciting and satisfying end. Many an enjoyable hour has been spent in our house over the last eight years, as these have been read, absorbed, discussed and dissected. I look forward to doing this all over again with my grand children.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series..., 7 Aug 2007
...and oddly genre-crossing - it felt to me like it kept wanting to slip over into horror rather than school/fantasy. A bit of sequel-preventing spatter-fest in parts too. Still, the epilogue brought a lump to my throat.

‹ Previous | 1104 105 106111 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa47e1f0c)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Signature Edition)
53.90