1,153 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME
Having read the whole Harry Potter series twice I still don't think I am either a fanatic or expert. What I can say is that Deathly Hallows is the best book I have ever read and it concludes what is a compelling series of books.

I finished Deathly Hallows for the second time last night and could happily pick it up and start reading it again.
Published on 8 Jan 2009 by L. Woodley

3.0 out of 5 stars back to quality
Luckily enough the last (probably) installment of the Potter serial did not disappoint me like volume three, five and six.

Even though the familiar Hogwarts setting is held back till the last chapters and the usual flaws of Ms Rowling's writing are all still there for the roll call, this last episode manages quite a fair amount of tension, nice characterization...
Published on 5 Dec 2008 by Furio

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 8 Jan 2009
L. Woodley (Cardiff) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars What! You never told me it was THAT good!!!, 8 Jun 2011
This is a review I should have written a long time ago, however being convinced that I `just wasn't that into Harry Potter' left me completely oblivious to the full extent of this story, until now. I finished this book one hour ago and I will now consider myself, a full-fledged crazy fan, only ten years later than everybody else. Enjoy.

Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Reading time: 2 days
Rating: 9 ½ / 10

Its no secret that J.K.Rowling has an imagination we'd all like to take credit for, however I don't think anyone expected, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, to be as captivating as it was. I, for one, could not put it down. Only after hours of reading would I finally give in to my chronic back ache and or droopy eyelids.

Having been with these characters since they were 11, you already know what you're getting. You feel like you know the score. But what you don't expect is how the unraveling of the story brings you closer to the characters you feel like you know so well. You experience they're conflict when confronted with riddles and clues, you experience them dealing with battle and loss, and amongst this, you experience they're everyday teenage angst as they deal with some long overdue love. I no what your thinking, that they've done these things in the others books too, but I can safely say, never like this. Never in a way that has you glued to your seat, soaking in words like they were crack.

For me Harry Potter has been a constant in my life, for as long as I can remember pointing at old buildings and asking my Mum if I'd found Hogwarts, so reaching the end was always going to be emotional. But I never expected that saying goodbye to Harry, Ron and Hermione would be like losing three old friends. And for me, the urge to keep reading until these characters die of old age, will never subside. Harry Potter has been a necessity among my generation, and after 10 long years, the book that finally see's `The Boy Who Lived' triumph, will not disappoint.

Captivated, excited, infuriated, heart broken, Inspired. You'll feel many things throughout the story, but after turning that last page, you feel what I can only describe as, magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic and moving book, 9 Aug 2007
P. D. Mcnally "paul28113" (rugby, england) - See all my reviews
I read some of the reviews and i felt moved to right my own one. Firstly i would like to say yes the book is more adult than Jk's previous books but i think people are missing the point it is a natural progression not only for the characters but the readers who have grown up with Harry Potter! In my humble opinion this book and all the Harry Potter Books are classics and will stand the test of time. Right back to the book i found it just as avidly a page turner as the previous ones. yes perhaps some of the storylines could have been fleshed out a bit more, but it is easy to criticise, i found this book hugely enjoyable and very uplifting and a triumph of the obvious love and effort JK has put into writing it. I think the story and the many themes running through this book and the previous ones such as the importance of family, a human life, being true to yourself, self sacrifice, never giving up hope, friendship, Love etc... are all things that resonate now and in the future. I cannot thank JK enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars As gripping as ever, 9 Aug 2007
Jeremy Walton (Sidmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Just about everyone, it seems, has been on the journey with Harry Potter over the past ten years - eagerly awaiting the next installment, devouring it as soon as it appears, and then mulling over the implications, twists and clues as the HP universe takes shape in their minds. I found this final book is a richly satisfying conclusion to the story - exciting, moving and intriguing.

The tight-rope that JKR walks as she endeavours to mix adventure, mystery, morality, emotion and humour into her tale (all the while having to contend with the breathless anticipation of her vast reading public) is almost impossible to stay upright on - to be sure, I thought there were some wobbles here as characters get shunted around locations in a somewhat unrealistic fashion - but her achievement in having captivated our attentions for so long with such a great work of imagination can't be denigrated. This is a fine ending to a wonderful story.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect End, 23 July 2007
What a fitting conclusion to what has been a fabulous series. By far the darkest of the series and young readers might get scared / worried. Some suprises along the way though I found it dragged a bit in the middle. The end show-down a superb finale and I only pray that whoever is given the honour of directing this final film does it credit and a much better job than the last two films (Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix)... I would have preferred the epilogue hadn't been written but I suppose it makes sure we can't hassle JK to write any more in the series and thus weaken what has been a fantastic journey. Certainly answered all the questions that the previous books had raised - a must-read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting finale, 23 July 2007
BookWorm "BookWorm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After years of waiting, devoted fans finally got to read the conclusion of JK Rowling's iconic seven part wizarding saga. And it is a fitting end to the series.

The Deathly Hallows is a fast paced, plot driven read, with lots of action throughout. Within a couple of chapters there are nail biting battles and Rowling is pulling no punches (within reason, as it is after all a children's book). The conclusion had me unable to stop reading, utterly gripped to find out at last how it would all end.

This story is different from its predecessors, which all had a familiar structure based around happenings of the school year. This novel sees Harry no longer at school and so the cosy predictability of earlier tomes is lost. This is no bad thing - it makes a more exciting read and conveys more accurately how Harry feels, cast adrift from the routine he knows. It also would have been very hard to do the story justice if Harry and his friends were still having to attend classes and hand in homework.

Unsurprisingly, the book is much darker in tone than the others, and although there are still flashes of humour, they are far fewer. Rowling creates a sense of menace and foreboding, and does an excellent job of conveying the fear of being hunted and of trying to oppose an unjust, corrupt state. For those who like to see allegory, there are strong tones of the Holocaust as wizards with non-magical parents are rounded up. Rowling should be applauded for demonstrating how such things can come about with frightening speed and the terrible effects on ordinary people caught up in the middle. I am sure that teachers of history and politics will be making use of this book.

Less good points include a section in the middle where the plot doesn't seem to move on much, though it does serve a purpose. Older readers in particular may miss the presence of the many suporting characters of earlier books. While most get a cameo appearance, the story is focussed utterly on Harry and his two best friends, and as they are often living in isolation, we get much less of the adult and other characters whom for many readers are the main attraction.

In terms of answering questions and tying up loose ends... well, for Rowling to have done them all, she'd have needed to produce a novel the size of a paving slab, and it would have probably been a pretty tedious read. Let's just say she answers the most important ones, and covers some of the rest in general priniciples. It would have been nicer to have a longer epilogue, with the fates of more characters mentioned, but then again, there would always be some that had to be missed.

There are a number of deaths in the book but these are handled skillfully and, whilst upsetting, I do not think they would unduly distress a younger reader. There is nothing too graphic, and children from 8 upwards should be fine, although there is a lot of subtext here that will go over their heads.

Overall, this is a fitting finale to one of the biggest literary phenonema of modern times. Old and young readers alike will be intrigued to know what happens to Harry and his friends, and they will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning! Thank you JKR!, 18 Sep 2007
There are so many reviews on this site that give a good overview of the plot that it seems superfluous to add another, However, I must add a few words. The final book in the series is very much darker and may be very upsetting for some younger readers. The escape from the Dursley house brings the danger that Harry faces into sharp focus. At once, his world starts to crumble. He must complete the task given to him by Dumbledore, but he has no idea how. He is very aware that his task brings everyone he feels close to into mortal danger and he is scared. Scared for himself and scared for them. He knows that he cannot escape his fate but doesn't know how to prepare for it. The book seems to slow down the pace as Harry,Ron and Hermione go into hiding, but this reflects the lack of direction in their search for the Horcruxes. After all, they don't know what they are looking for, or where they may be hidden. Even if they find them, how do they get hold of them and destroy them? After many close shaves, traps, capture, torture and treachery, they lurch to the last hiding place and the last battle. As to Dumbledore's and Snape's earlier lives - these are just illustrations of the fact that even the great and the good are capable of bad deads,and conversley, that the darkest, nastiest person is capable of great love and sacrifice. No-one is ever perfect. As to the final chapter, don't begrudge a chance to show that all the pain and sorrow was worth the sacrifices. After all, since we first met Harry as an unhappy 10 year old, all he ever wanted was a normal life and to be loved and happy.
I have read this final book 4 times now, and have sobbed my way through the last chapters each time. Maybe I wear my heart on my sleeve too much, but the raw emotion that JKR has weaved into this story of a young boy's growth into a man has touched many, many,thousands of people across the world. I really cannot understand how detractors can be so damning. We can't all be wrong! Is it just "fashionable and ultra-cool" to knock what everybody else enjoys so much, or is it just reverse snobbery? If you don't like the books - then don't buy them! Personally, I am sad that the series has come to an end. I can understand why it needed to though, if JKR felt as much emotion writing about Harry, as we have felt whilst reading them, she would be very drained. I hope JKR reads these reviews as I would like to thank her for all the laughs and all the tears. You have touched many hearts. Thank you for Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to be emotionally blitzed, 17 Jan 2009
At last, the final book of the revered Harry Potter series - and it proves itself more than worthy of the hype. Here, characters' fates are revealed, destinies are fulfilled, lives are lost, yet friendships strengthen and love blossoms even under the heavy atmosphere of oppression and fear.

Harry sets out with Ron and Hermione to find and destroy the last few Horcruxes separating Lord Voldemort from destruction. On his way he also discovers the existence of the Deathly Hallows - three powerful objects which can be united to bring supreme domination to their owner. He must choose: use the Deathly Hallows, attempting to unite them before Voldemort gets the chance, or destroy the Horcruxes and thus fulfil his promise to Dumbledore.

One of the interesting things about this book is how the complexity of humanity is allowed to shine through: Professor Snape's true colours are revealed and Draco Malfoy and his family become victims rather than tyrants. In fact, the only character without these grey areas of personality is the Dark Lord himself.

And so the climax finally arrives - a huge battle at Hogwarts beween good and evil. Heart-wrenching losses occur, a grippingly painful double ending kept me spellbound, utterly on edge... then just as I thought the emotional rollercoaster was at an end Rowling hits the reader with a moving epilogue so we know how it all turned out in the end. This incredible and magical series deserves to be around thrilling children worldwide for many years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great End To The Series, 2 Aug 2007
This book finished the phenomenal Harry Potter series brilliantly. Of course, like a lot of good things, this book had its flaws aswell and I will talk about them later on in the review.

Voldemort is now taking over the wizard and muggle world, killing anyone who gets in his way. Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger have abandoned their final year at Hogwarts, to find the horcruxes and kill Voldemort for good. It is a dangerous task and it seems impossible but it must be done, anyway. Aswell as the main plot, there are plenty of sub plots, aswell. I think the sub plots were enjoyable too. One of the sub plots that seemed of only small significance was the one with the Deathly Hallows. Although, it was interesting, it just seemed to have limited importance to the storyline. My favourite sub plot was the one about Dumbledore, when you find out the truth about the seemingly perfect person.

The Beginning Of The Book= This was a great and promising start to the book, the excitement was unbelievable ( unlike any other start to a HP book ) and it was very gripping 9/10.

The Middle= If only the middle was as good as the start, it became a little bit of a let down and nothing really seemed to happen. It had it's own relevance to the plot but it was a bit dissapointing, though 5/10.

The End=The last ( about ) 150 pages of the book were extremely exciting and I really found it difficult to put the book down, when I was reading them. There were some problems, though, I thought that the very end of the book was a bit too happy ( for the survivors ), this isn't a very bad thing, I just thought it might of been a bit more realistic if the survivors were damaged for life and if certain surviving characters had died.

The book contained a lot of deaths, so if you haven't read it yet, I must prepare you for some sad deaths. A bad thing about the deaths, was that some of them were written very flippantly, as if they didn't matter, however, others were written brilliantly and had extreme significance to the plot. One of the great things about the book, was that almost all the important questions were answered, resolving the mystery around Harry's life.

I'm sure if you are looking at these reviews, that you have probably read the other books, so you will probably be intending on reading the book anyway, but I still think I should say that it was a great conclusion, even though it had flaws.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but I miss the sense of childhood wonderment, 29 July 2007
N. Shepherd (Prague, Czech Republic) - See all my reviews
I came late to the series having for a long time resisted the hype - in my experience hype is usually in inverse proportion to quality (think Big Brother!). What attracted me to the early books was JK Rowling's superb depiction of the sense of wonderment of an eleven year old boy at being introduced to Hogwarts and the world of magic - in no particular order, the various lessons in spells, magic sweets, Quidditch, the ghosts, especially Nearly Headless Nick, the Knight Bus and Hagrid's magical creatures. Even then there was a sense of foreboding as we knew the unpleasant Draco would be a problem for Harry, but this was nicely balanced by the decent characters such as McGonagall and Dumbledore. In other words, books one to four (at least) made for escapist but heart-warming reading, a pleasant fantasy to indulge in as an antidote to all the problems facing the world in these times.

By the time we get to Deathly Hallows, these features have all but disappeared. Instead we have a blood-and-guts story of the fight between the powers of good and evil. There are deaths aplenty and many mentions of torture and brutality. Rape is threatened at one point too. The language Harry and his friends use has become rather more crude too. Perhaps this is to be expected for 17-year olds although I did find the uses of "effing" rather annoying - nobody says that these days and if the author didn't want to use the real word she should have left it out altogether.

I was not bored by the first 300 pages as some readers appear to have been, and I didn't find the epilogue too tacky either - after all this is a children's story. Yes there are some plot holes, notably the issue of the Horcrux in Harry not being destroyed by the basilisk's fang in Chamber of Secrets, but I find that forgivable if the book carries me along and I enjoy it.

And I did. I read it in two sittings, only taking a break due to the rather annoying need for some sleep. As an adventure it was a thumping good story and a fitting end in the context of the other books. I don't think it would make much sense as a standalone book but I have no doubt that most of the people who rushed out to buy it will have read the first six at least once. I give it four stars rather than five as I did feel a tinge of nostalgia for the lost childhood innocence and wonderment that drew me to the series in the first place. I guess I didn't want Harry to grow up!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Signature Edition)