1,119 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME
Having read the whole Harry Potter series twice I still don't think I am either a fanatic or expert. What I can say is that Deathly Hallows is the best book I have ever read and it concludes what is a compelling series of books.

I finished Deathly Hallows for the second time last night and could happily pick it up and start reading it again.
Published on 8 Jan 2009 by L. Woodley

3.0 out of 5 stars Had to read this as I had read all the others
I read this book as I had read all the others but for me the book was a bit long winded. I actually kept forgetting that I was reading it so wouldn't say it was a page turner. I am glad I read it though so I can be part of the Harry Potter thing. Thought the ending was very good though. I didn't actually expect that ending.
Published on 16 July 2010 by casper

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, 8 Jan 2009
L. Woodley (Cardiff) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars What! You never told me it was THAT good!!!, 8 Jun 2011
This is a review I should have written a long time ago, however being convinced that I `just wasn't that into Harry Potter' left me completely oblivious to the full extent of this story, until now. I finished this book one hour ago and I will now consider myself, a full-fledged crazy fan, only ten years later than everybody else. Enjoy.

Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Reading time: 2 days
Rating: 9 / 10

Its no secret that J.K.Rowling has an imagination we'd all like to take credit for, however I don't think anyone expected, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, to be as captivating as it was. I, for one, could not put it down. Only after hours of reading would I finally give in to my chronic back ache and or droopy eyelids.

Having been with these characters since they were 11, you already know what you're getting. You feel like you know the score. But what you don't expect is how the unraveling of the story brings you closer to the characters you feel like you know so well. You experience they're conflict when confronted with riddles and clues, you experience them dealing with battle and loss, and amongst this, you experience they're everyday teenage angst as they deal with some long overdue love. I no what your thinking, that they've done these things in the others books too, but I can safely say, never like this. Never in a way that has you glued to your seat, soaking in words like they were crack.

For me Harry Potter has been a constant in my life, for as long as I can remember pointing at old buildings and asking my Mum if I'd found Hogwarts, so reaching the end was always going to be emotional. But I never expected that saying goodbye to Harry, Ron and Hermione would be like losing three old friends. And for me, the urge to keep reading until these characters die of old age, will never subside. Harry Potter has been a necessity among my generation, and after 10 long years, the book that finally see's `The Boy Who Lived' triumph, will not disappoint.

Captivated, excited, infuriated, heart broken, Inspired. You'll feel many things throughout the story, but after turning that last page, you feel what I can only describe as, magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic and moving book, 9 Aug 2007
P. D. Mcnally "paul28113" (rugby, england) - See all my reviews
I read some of the reviews and i felt moved to right my own one. Firstly i would like to say yes the book is more adult than Jk's previous books but i think people are missing the point it is a natural progression not only for the characters but the readers who have grown up with Harry Potter! In my humble opinion this book and all the Harry Potter Books are classics and will stand the test of time. Right back to the book i found it just as avidly a page turner as the previous ones. yes perhaps some of the storylines could have been fleshed out a bit more, but it is easy to criticise, i found this book hugely enjoyable and very uplifting and a triumph of the obvious love and effort JK has put into writing it. I think the story and the many themes running through this book and the previous ones such as the importance of family, a human life, being true to yourself, self sacrifice, never giving up hope, friendship, Love etc... are all things that resonate now and in the future. I cannot thank JK enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars As gripping as ever, 9 Aug 2007
Jeremy Walton (Sidmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Just about everyone, it seems, has been on the journey with Harry Potter over the past ten years - eagerly awaiting the next installment, devouring it as soon as it appears, and then mulling over the implications, twists and clues as the HP universe takes shape in their minds. I found this final book is a richly satisfying conclusion to the story - exciting, moving and intriguing.

The tight-rope that JKR walks as she endeavours to mix adventure, mystery, morality, emotion and humour into her tale (all the while having to contend with the breathless anticipation of her vast reading public) is almost impossible to stay upright on - to be sure, I thought there were some wobbles here as characters get shunted around locations in a somewhat unrealistic fashion - but her achievement in having captivated our attentions for so long with such a great work of imagination can't be denigrated. This is a fine ending to a wonderful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting finale, 23 July 2007
BookWorm "BookWorm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After years of waiting, devoted fans finally got to read the conclusion of JK Rowling's iconic seven part wizarding saga. And it is a fitting end to the series.

The Deathly Hallows is a fast paced, plot driven read, with lots of action throughout. Within a couple of chapters there are nail biting battles and Rowling is pulling no punches (within reason, as it is after all a children's book). The conclusion had me unable to stop reading, utterly gripped to find out at last how it would all end.

This story is different from its predecessors, which all had a familiar structure based around happenings of the school year. This novel sees Harry no longer at school and so the cosy predictability of earlier tomes is lost. This is no bad thing - it makes a more exciting read and conveys more accurately how Harry feels, cast adrift from the routine he knows. It also would have been very hard to do the story justice if Harry and his friends were still having to attend classes and hand in homework.

Unsurprisingly, the book is much darker in tone than the others, and although there are still flashes of humour, they are far fewer. Rowling creates a sense of menace and foreboding, and does an excellent job of conveying the fear of being hunted and of trying to oppose an unjust, corrupt state. For those who like to see allegory, there are strong tones of the Holocaust as wizards with non-magical parents are rounded up. Rowling should be applauded for demonstrating how such things can come about with frightening speed and the terrible effects on ordinary people caught up in the middle. I am sure that teachers of history and politics will be making use of this book.

Less good points include a section in the middle where the plot doesn't seem to move on much, though it does serve a purpose. Older readers in particular may miss the presence of the many suporting characters of earlier books. While most get a cameo appearance, the story is focussed utterly on Harry and his two best friends, and as they are often living in isolation, we get much less of the adult and other characters whom for many readers are the main attraction.

In terms of answering questions and tying up loose ends... well, for Rowling to have done them all, she'd have needed to produce a novel the size of a paving slab, and it would have probably been a pretty tedious read. Let's just say she answers the most important ones, and covers some of the rest in general priniciples. It would have been nicer to have a longer epilogue, with the fates of more characters mentioned, but then again, there would always be some that had to be missed.

There are a number of deaths in the book but these are handled skillfully and, whilst upsetting, I do not think they would unduly distress a younger reader. There is nothing too graphic, and children from 8 upwards should be fine, although there is a lot of subtext here that will go over their heads.

Overall, this is a fitting finale to one of the biggest literary phenonema of modern times. Old and young readers alike will be intrigued to know what happens to Harry and his friends, and they will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect End, 23 July 2007
What a fitting conclusion to what has been a fabulous series. By far the darkest of the series and young readers might get scared / worried. Some suprises along the way though I found it dragged a bit in the middle. The end show-down a superb finale and I only pray that whoever is given the honour of directing this final film does it credit and a much better job than the last two films (Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix)... I would have preferred the epilogue hadn't been written but I suppose it makes sure we can't hassle JK to write any more in the series and thus weaken what has been a fantastic journey. Certainly answered all the questions that the previous books had raised - a must-read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars unbeatable, 14 Aug 2007
Amazing how some book can be so good that when you've finished them you get filled up with a sadness and nostalgia that you cant describe. this is one of them.
absoloutly gripping from the first sentence to the last, harry potter and the deathly hallows completes harry's journey in the wonderful, sometimes sad, incredibly dangerous world of magic.
unlike the other books, this novel is full of destruction, death and loss. It doesnt even have the spirit-lifting moments of humor for us to depend on. however, i think this book is enough fast moving that you dont think about it too much and you just become engrossed with the charecters lives. to tell you the truth i find it impossible to fault this book. a 100% must read, and best harry potter ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning! Thank you JKR!, 18 Sep 2007
There are so many reviews on this site that give a good overview of the plot that it seems superfluous to add another, However, I must add a few words. The final book in the series is very much darker and may be very upsetting for some younger readers. The escape from the Dursley house brings the danger that Harry faces into sharp focus. At once, his world starts to crumble. He must complete the task given to him by Dumbledore, but he has no idea how. He is very aware that his task brings everyone he feels close to into mortal danger and he is scared. Scared for himself and scared for them. He knows that he cannot escape his fate but doesn't know how to prepare for it. The book seems to slow down the pace as Harry,Ron and Hermione go into hiding, but this reflects the lack of direction in their search for the Horcruxes. After all, they don't know what they are looking for, or where they may be hidden. Even if they find them, how do they get hold of them and destroy them? After many close shaves, traps, capture, torture and treachery, they lurch to the last hiding place and the last battle. As to Dumbledore's and Snape's earlier lives - these are just illustrations of the fact that even the great and the good are capable of bad deads,and conversley, that the darkest, nastiest person is capable of great love and sacrifice. No-one is ever perfect. As to the final chapter, don't begrudge a chance to show that all the pain and sorrow was worth the sacrifices. After all, since we first met Harry as an unhappy 10 year old, all he ever wanted was a normal life and to be loved and happy.
I have read this final book 4 times now, and have sobbed my way through the last chapters each time. Maybe I wear my heart on my sleeve too much, but the raw emotion that JKR has weaved into this story of a young boy's growth into a man has touched many, many,thousands of people across the world. I really cannot understand how detractors can be so damning. We can't all be wrong! Is it just "fashionable and ultra-cool" to knock what everybody else enjoys so much, or is it just reverse snobbery? If you don't like the books - then don't buy them! Personally, I am sad that the series has come to an end. I can understand why it needed to though, if JKR felt as much emotion writing about Harry, as we have felt whilst reading them, she would be very drained. I hope JKR reads these reviews as I would like to thank her for all the laughs and all the tears. You have touched many hearts. Thank you for Harry Potter.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the end, my friend..., 23 Aug 2007
Linda Oskam "dutch-traveller" (Amsterdam Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Looked forward to and dreaded at the same time: after 8 years I have to say goodbye to Harry Potter. Dead or alive, I won't tell the reader of this review, as too much is already revealed by others...

In this last book of the series Harry, Ron and Hermione leave Hogwarts prematurely to fight Voldemort. The wizard's world is torn in two: the Dark Forces are ttaking over power and Harry and his friends have to use all their skills and knowledge to fight these dark forces. With some luck, a lot of ingenuity and the help from a lot of friends and relatives Harry makes it alive to the final battle, but then... The rest is something you'll have to read for yourself, but keep your hankies ready: quite a few dear friends do not survive this last episode.

In this last book all lines come together and what seemed to be details in earlier books are now all important artifacts in the fight against Voldemort. It is really clear that JK Rowling had the whole plot already worked out before she started to write episode 1 of the series. I really enjoyed reading the bookand I'm sure I will reread the whole series sometime in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars To all the cynics..., 26 July 2007
C. Cottingham - See all my reviews
A great book, and an immensely satisfying ending to the series: the twists and turns of narrative and character here echo back across the books, forcing reappraisals and reconsiderations of all that has passed before (Snape's character arc in particular is the greatest triumph of all).

But then, a review at this stage isn't necessary. What is riling me though is the quantity of comments aiming to dismiss the series as mere kids' stuff - 'what are adults doing reading children's books', et al. By this measure, shall we dismiss Orwell's Animal Farm as well - a 'fairy story' by his own description? Or Bible stories, pored over and fixated upon by adults in churches everywhere - do these too hold no meaning now? Should us 'adults' just grow up, contemptuously ignoring any messages or morals that nestle within these tales? Let's not forget, Western civilisation is founded upon such tales and myths, and the cynics would be wiser to remember that there's more than one audience for a text, and that the best 'children's stories' often tend to be darker and more affecting than the stuff touted at us adults.

But then, they wouldn't know this, having formed their opinions, entirely erroneously, without actually having read the books themselves. Now there's folly.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Signature Edition)
50.05